One Click Play Button [released]

Really nothing to be upset about. Roon is good as it is but it can be better.

Polls, although not scientific, provides important data. Polls are survey. Companies spend a lot of money to get customers perspective. I’m sure all of us got emails or calls one way or another for a survey. I just got $35 from UCLA for a simple survey.

It’s good for the company more than the user and we are providing this for free.

1 Like

This is beyond the coverage of this topic because it was meant to be for a track only. I think 80% of us will be happy by this alone :slight_smile:. But your recommendation to extend it to album and playlist is brilliant.

it’d be folly to address the one without the other as it’s essentially the same topic and functionality

3 Likes

Like I said, this can equally be applied to songs:

1 Like

Ok. Got you. Not a bad proposal indeed.

1 Like

your proposal is the best I’ve seen so far – but in the case of currently playing music, I’m considering if add-to-queue should be the default instead of playing

4 Likes

No I am the one who is missing something i did not remember you could add tracks to the queue like that now. :blush: I nearly always listen to whole albums and though I’ve used this before I had forgotten it worked like that. Oh well you live and learn and forget and learn again.

1 Like

Looking at the pool with 88 votes, with the edge towards users wanting a one-click-play, I will leave it to the people that take $100.00 / year for the privilege to figure this one out on their own.

…feeling vindicated…

I’m paying more per year for Roon than I’ve ever paid for a piece of software. I expect it to be excellent.

:smirk:
It is what it is.

I would agree that add to queue should be the default, not play now.

Perhaps default, but user configurable?

Personally I still see value in the pawmasher popup if music is already playing, but direct play if it isn’t. That would be my starting point anyway although I’d also use direct to queue if that were an option and see which worked our best in the household.

@danny

During the last 6 months I tried and subscribed Roon, I really got used to how it handles ques and playlist although at the beginning I would have preferred one click play. I still ask for one click play but during this period my will for one click play has changed, I don’t want ques to be gone anymore, I got used to it and quite like it.

If there will ever be “one click play” in Roon
1- It should be turned on and off in the settings
For me OFF is the default behaviour now.
2- If it is ON, there can either be a new button added next to the play album button or the behaviour of the play album button can be changed according to the preference in the settings. (developers will decide I think)
3- When it is clicked I think what you have clicked should start playing immediately (album or individual track), however this should not disrupt your active que. If you have an already playing playlist/que, when I click song X or album Y, the que should continue after what you have clicked finishes playing.
But this may cause other problems, so if you one-click play again then not the original que you are playing but the song or album you have clicked for direct play should be deleted. I don’t know… even in theory it the whole concept may turn to a mess but I believe roon will finid an optimum way.
4- If there is no need to mess with the que, what you click starts playing directly …and (we already have the undo option) we will see the undo notification to get back where you first clicked the direct play button.
5- For me “direct to que” doesn’t make any difference than the current behaviour but it could be an option for one click. One click option may be off/direct to que/ play immediately. But I would choose play immediately

can these be by assigning different icons such as play sign(direct play) and plus sign(direct to que)

I hope this would be a user configurable setting. Personally I wouldn’t want add-to-queue to be a default action.

I have given the queue system a fair chance (~2 years) to show it’s usefulness, but with all the respect, I still find it slightly annoying. Sorry :worried: I just don’t get used to it no matter how long I use it. I would prefer having a simple one-click-play as a configurable setting, that’s all. Current behavior could be the default.

I have a feeling that Roon never implements this one-click-play feature but at least I can have a dream about it :innocent:

If I understand you correctly, you want to default to Play if nothing is playing and Add to Queue otherwise. Maybe this can be achieved by selecting a usage scenario instead of a fixed action.

The options then become e.g.:

• Pawmasher (A safe default for those who prefer the current behavior)
  • Queued Playback (Always respect the queue and start playback when songs are added)
  • Instant Playback (Replace the queue with the new selection and start playback)
  • … (Maybe there are more)

I hope the idea is clear…

10 Likes

ooooh @Jan_Koudijs – that’s nice. let me and @brian2 stew a bit on that…

5 Likes

Your call obviously but I hope we don’t see your posts at the top of the list complaining about the new implementation having not decided to contribute now.

,sjb

You won’t. My subscription runs out in mid-July.

1 Like

I signed up just to throw in my wholehearted +1 on this.

I can’t believe playing music requires two clicks. I notice it’s only mildly annoying when I’m on a touch-enabled device, but on a laptop when I just want to leverage the super slick, rich Roon interface and explore my music, it is grounds for giving up.

I’m not sure I’ll keep Roon past my 14 day trial, simply because of this oversight.