Popping noise like stylus skip with Peachtree Nova150

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac / Catalina 10.15.7 / Roon build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple Airport Extreme / Wifi 5ghz

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Peachtree Nova150 / Bluesound Node 2i connected via ethernet from Apple Airport Extreme

Description Of Issue
Popping noise like stylus skip while music is playing

how is the iMac connected to the rest of the network? if its wifi that the likely issue

roon doesn’t favour Apple Networking - its come up many times as a potential break point.

For all networks

No matter what your network setup is like, there are important factors to keep in mind to ensure you are getting the best out of your Roon experience:

• Your Roon Core should always have a wired connection
  • If your library is stored elsewhere on the network, always ensure that both your Core and storage location are using a wired connection. Avoid WiFi between your Core and media storage at all costs.
  • Avoid connecting high resolution/high performance audio devices to Roon via WiFi to ensure optimal performance.
  • A wireless connection from your remote device to your Core is perfectly acceptable and expected in most cases.

" Finally, we strongly recommend against using Apple network devices such as the Apple Airport Extreme and Airport Express (note: it’s fine to use the Airport Express as an Airplay device). To ensure the best performance, we recommend against using these devices."

My iMac is connected to my router via ethernet with the Wi-Fi on the iMac turned off. I have 2 Apple Airport Extremes. 1 is on my desk next to the iMac. The second is next to my living room stereo connected to the Bluesound Node 2i via ethernet. I use my iPhone 12 Pro or iPad Mini 5 as remotes. I’ve been thinking about getting new routers but I don’t know what to get. Linksys, Netgear, eero and Arris all have bad reviews. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

how are the 2 APE’s connected?

FWIW I used to use apple APES years ago and never looked back after going with Unifi (Ubiquiti) gear - but its a bit more complicated than you might like. The Unifi Dream Machine could be a good candidate for you along with perhaps an additional switch or AP if range is an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiy0yh8AV30 maybe have a look

or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BezoNUflqXo

The APE that sits next to my iMac is connected via ethernet to the iMac. I’m using a Motorola SURFboard eXtreme Cable Modem SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0). I have the WiFi turned off on the iMac. The second APE sits next to my living room stereo and is connected to my Bluesound Node 2i via ethernet. Honestly, I don’t know if it makes any difference whether or not the Bluesound Node 2i has an ethernet connection. That’s just the way I set it up.

If I decided to order a Unifi Dream Machine - which additional switch or AP should I get?

Thanks for your help!

You missed my main question - how are the 2 APE’s connected to the Surfboard (which I assume is the router too?) or is one of the APE’s acting as a router and if so is the other APE connected via a LAN cable and in bridge mode or via wifi or as an extension?

depending on how you have things interconnected any of the unifi switches should work, from basic 5ports up to whatever you need. something as simple as a

for an additional AP you might consider one of these…most need POE or an injector to power them but try just the UDM first. there are also new Wifi 6 capable models

Sorry. The main APE that sits next to my iMac is connected to the Surfboard via ethernet acting as the main router. I connected the second APE in “Airport Utility”. I think it’s just an extension connected via WiFi. Did I answer correctly?

While waiting to get this house wired for Ethernet, I’ve set up a UniFi network with a Dream Machine and a FlexHD. The Dream Machine is wired to the fiber ONT and to a couple of servers, including a backup Roon core. The FlexHD, configured for wireless uplink to the Dream Machine, is wired to the main Roon core and to a Pi-based streamer for the headphone system. The main speaker system is currently wireless. It all works well, partly thanks to this being a quiet WiFi neighborhood.

What is a “Fiber ONT”? I’ve never heard of that. Also, I don’t live in a house. I have a one level apartment. My bedroom where the main router sits on my desk is at one end of the apartment. And the second router sits next to my stereo in my living room which is at the opposite end of the apartment.

ONT == optical network terminal.

Saw some bad reviews on amazon for The Dream Machine. The reviewer recommended getting a pfsense server. I don’t know what that is. Nor do I know how it works or how to use it.

Ok that sounds about right then…so my hunch was based on the fact the other devices in the extended ape are essentially on a WiFi extension which will not perform well at all

Pfsense is a firewall primarily

So, I’m open to getting new network equipment. I was about to order a Unifi Dream Machine but I read some bad reviews on Amazon that detoured me from it. What do you think? Is there anything out there that just works? I have zero problems with APE. Seems like the rest of the network choices were built by Windows users.

Apes have lousy WiFi to be brutally honest. I don’t know what dream machine review has put you off but most I have read are rather favorable. If you are in the USA then getting returns are more easily done, but I think you might find your going to have enough people here chime in with positive results and help if needed.

Another option is just run a cable to the other end of the apartment and see if that improves things to the other ape. Some tweaking in the primary ape might be needed tho.

I’m about to get a new UDM Pro to upgrade my current USG model.

Oh and you do seem to have problems otherwise why the post?

Lots of UniFi users in the community here too

Not sure what you mean by “other problems”. The reason I made this post was because of the popping noises while trying to stream with Roon with my living room stereo. (Bluesound Node 2i / Peachtree Nova150). Otherwise, I really don’t have any problems with my network. Maybe I’ll try a UDM from Amazon and see how it goes. I can always send it back if it doesn’t work out. And yes, I’m in the USA.

1 Like

Here is a post to read and I should like to ask is this happening with all music or maybe only hires or MQA?

I would love to have ethernet through my apartment. But, how much would that cost? I only tried one song with my stereo and got pops. The majority of my music is live cd recordings of Christian Praise & Worship. I have very few tracks that are hires or MQA. But I’m paying the $20 premium with TIDAL. I haven’t tried qobuz yet. And my personal CD library is small. The majority of the time I just stream TIDAL and I thought I’d give Roon a try.

Honestly try a long Ethernet cable to bridge the 2 apes first or maybe move the nova to iMac location and see if you get skips there

Roon has a heavy use for network unlike other lighter weight apps that may work directly

I see now you are in day 4 of your trial perhaps as a new user here