Popping sound when upsampling above 192kHz [Resolved, Cocktail Audio Firmware Issue]

Roon Core Machine

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 V2 @ 3.50GHz, 16 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Everything is connected by LAN; 24 ports Unifi US-48-500W

Connected Audio Devices

Using Cocktail Audio N25 (roon ready), connected by a Trafomatic preamp (using RCA).

Number of Tracks in Library

5.000 + tidal

Description of Issue

When I upsample any source (from 44.1kHz to 192kHz) to something higher than 192kHz (so 352.8kHz or 384kHz), I hear a popping sound when the sample rate is different on the next track. So I don’t hear the popping sound when upsampling to 384kHz when I keep using the same source sample rate.

The popping sound reminds me of old times when my father would put the needle down on his vinyl - it sounds exactly the same.

P.S. Sometimes when I change the upsample settings during playback, the Cocktail audio freezes and needs a reboot. I probably shouldn’t change the sample rate during playback?

You might be getting clipping at the higher rates of upsampling. Go into DSP settings enable headroom management set it to 0db and turn on the clipping indicator. When you hear the clicking check the signal path to see if the blue dot goes red. If it does your clipping samples and you need to apply headroom try at -1db and drop if you continue to get them. Any DSP can cause clipping so this would be my first port of call.

Probably means to say, a pop sound is heard on transition between tracks of different sample rates only.

If so, that would not be caused by …

… although it’s good practice to enable the clipping indicator in “DSP” “Headroom management” to monitor and adjust accordingly, if inter-sample-overs are causing clipping.

I’m pretty sure, it’s caused by how the DAC handles those transitions, as well as …

Try changing “Resync Delay” in the device setup options for your Cocktail Audio to see if that helps, but if not contact Cocktail Audio, since they’re the only ones able to change that, although I wouldn’t bet anything on them even responding to you…

1 Like

Agree.
I’ve experienced this with some DACs but not others even at rates at or below 192.
Adjusting Resync Delay resolved it for me.

I checked the clipping indicator but it’s not turning red.

1 Like

I set the resync delay at 5000ms but when the track changes, I hear the popping sound and then it’s waiting for 5 seconds to start playing. So the delay won’t solve the popping sound.

FYI I’m in touch with cocktail audio support to figure out if this is normal behavior.

Cocktail audio was able to replicate the issue and will fix it in an upcoming firmware update.

FYI it was not related to upsampling but just switching to specific (higher) bitrates between tracks.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.