Portrait mode not working on iPad 12.9" (MXF92B/A) [Ticket In]

Hi.

Having upgraded my iPad Pro to the 12.9” 2020 version and applied the new iPadOS update to 13.4.1, with Roon core and remote on versions 1.7 build 537, I am finding that Roon remote will only display in landscape view. It will not display in portrait.

I thought this was fixed in 1.7 build 536?

This is on a fresh iPad (MXF92B/A) with no other accessibility settings applied.

Please advise if you need further info.

Thanks.

Rory

Hi @Rory_Sharp,

What do you see when you try to open the Roon app in portrait mode? Can you share a screenshot? Is there any change in behavior if you uninstall and reinstall the Roon app?

Hi Noris.

I’ve tried a reinstall and have noted no change. Rotating the iPad Pro does not change the aspect. I’ve check to make make sure aspect lock is off.

If I open Roon while the iPad Pro is in portrait mode, it opens in landscape mode. I noticed that one time it briefly displayed portrait mode for a split second but it then went straight to landscape.

Attached is a screenshot as well as a photo of the two iPad Pro 12.9’s side by side. The 2018 model on the left, the 2020 model on the right. The screens are fingerprint magnets :wink:

Thanks for your help.

Rory

Hi @Rory_Sharp,

Can you please open the Roon app again on the iPad with this issue and let me know once you have done so? I have enabled diagnostics mode for it and what this action should do is automatically upload a log set to our servers next time the Roon app is running on the iPad.

Hi Noris.

I have just logged into Roon Core as suggested (around 11.44am BST) several times from the iPad Pro 12.9’ 2020. Still experiencing the same issues. I also had the corrupted display where there were black borders on the left and right of the display, and I had to restart the iPad Pro to resolve that. Does that show up in the logs too?

Thanks again for your help. Rory.

1 Like

Same here

A post was split to a new topic: iPad 12.9" Portrait Mode

Hi @Rory_Sharp,

Thanks for letting me know, I can confirm that logs have been received and I have submitted a ticket to the QA team for further review regarding this issue.

It may take a bit of time for this ticket to reach the development queue, but thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

Hi @noris and @dylan.

I’ve seen another report of this issue earlier on a new iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 - where it will not display in portrait mode. I was wondering whether you guys are any further along to a fix yet?

I also noted that there is someone with a 12.9” 2020 model (A2229) that didn’t exhibit the problem.

If it helps my iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 version is WiFi + Cellular UK.
Model number MXF92B/A / A2232 which is different to the above example.

Please do let me know if you need anything further. It is still an issue which is also present when I connect to a different Roon core that I installed on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hoping to hear some positive news soon.

Cheers. Rory.

Hi @Rory_Sharp,

I do have some positive news indeed - we’ve managed to identify this issue as being due to the model of the WiFi + Cellular iPad version and the devs are hoping to address it soon. If all goes according to plan on the dev side, the next Roon release should help fix this issue.

Hi,

For information I have the same issue with an “old” iPad (A1566).
It’s a fresh install because I’m testing the Roon solution. It could be a clue because in the Rory_Sharp’s case and mine’s it’s an installation from scratch.

My 2 cents,

Jim

What issue? There is currently no support for portrait mode for your iPad Air 2 9.7" from 2014.

I didn’t know. Thank for the information.
Is there a post somewhere explaining the reason for this no support ? Because this iPad is still supported by Apple and he has an up to date IOS.

You get only landscape mode. Rotation to portrait mode is supported on iPad Pro 12.9" only because they are the only ones with big enough screens.

Hello @Rory_Sharp,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we released Roon 1.7 Build 571, which includes some improvements that we believe should help here. Please give the update a try and let us know if it helps!

You can read the full release notes here:

Thanks,
Roon Support

Hi @nuwriy.

Thanks for the message. I had seen the release notes earlier. My Roon Core is updated but I’m just waiting for the Remote to appear on the App Store before I can download it.

Fingers crossed it will resolve the problems, been waiting a while for this. I’ll let you know if it resolves the issue over the next few days.

All the best.

Rory

Hi @nuwriy,

I installed the iPad update this morning and I’m very pleased to report that it has resolved the portrait not working error. I can now use Roon Remote in portrait mode once again since upgrading to the 2020 12.9" iPad Pro.

Thank you and the Roon team for making sure this fix was included in the latest release.

All the best,

Rory

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Artist image cropped in portrait mode - iPad 12.9"

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.