Possible remote access of Core via the internet, and not just via same network?

Good morning!

I am sorry if this has been asked for prior to my post.

I would like to ask if you are working on a feature which would allow access to the Core and Tidal via the internet, not requiring for Remotes to be on the same network as the Core? Streaming from the Core for own files and direct from Tidal to the remote OR taking all data from the Core?

At the moment, I feel a little tied to the core, so to speak. Am running a laptop as my Core, but it’s not ideal. My main PC is located in a corner of the house so wifi networking is inconsistent, but it would be ideal to have access to the HD’s connected to it, and needless to say, when out and about it would be SO cool to be able to access Roon on remote when out and about.

Thanks for reply in advance.

5 Likes

It is not a good idea!

To something like that work it would need to involve some second issues like firewall tweaks, or the even worse UPnP.

I mean, to have such convenience you would risk to open a security role on your private network. Also, depending where you are and/or what ISP you are using, it is not uncommon to have some network ports closed by the ISP for entrant connections (from the internet) and you cannot unblock it (at least not easy).

If you really need this kind of behaviour it would be a lot better to set up a Home VPN server at your place. Several consumer routers have this capability these days.

While you are connected to your hypothetical “Home VPN”, your device will receive a local IP from your private network and so it will act like how it has in there.

Ok, thanks for reply :slight_smile:

I’ve always been a complete technophobe when it comes to networking and I’m the sort of person who can’t understand simply why, in 2016, you can’t connect 2 pcs together via a usb or other cable and they talk to each other without a huge setup issue - or maybe you can and I just don’t know about it,lol.

You write:

"If you really need this kind of behaviour it would be a lot better to set up a Home VPN server at your place. Several consumer routers have this capability these days.

While you are connected to your hypothetical “Home VPN”, your device will receive a local IP from your private network and so it will act like how it has in there."

Is this possible to do with my main desktop PC? Is instruction anything “out there” which could guide me as to how to set that up for Roon use?

Thanks a million for your assistance!

It’s something the Roon team has mentioned as wanting to implement, it just hasn’t made it on the schedule yet.

that’ll do for me. I can wait.

It’s certainly not a deal breaker. I’m loving the sytem so far.

After a few days only, Im at the stage where I am finding all other players anemic and sterile by comparison.

I have several hd’s of flacs and such. Still working out the best way to have semi-permanent storage for the most part of it and a good compromise for music on the go, using a little Sony Vaio laptop as my core but it only has 2usb ports, one of which is dedicated to my DAC.

Am slowly getting there, using an anker hub to allow the static rig accessing all the main HDs, then I have a stripped down portable setup using a 4tb USB drive with all HDef tracks downsampled to 24-48 max res for space.

It’s pretty good that HD’s can be added and subtracted from the Roon setup fairly painlessly, ie without having to rescan completely each drive when it’s connected.

All good fun :slight_smile:

ps… you mentioned a schedule or todo list from Roon, is that published somewhere?

No, I meant their internal major and minor release feature sets.

I can confirm this trick is not working .
I am right now connected with VPN from outside to my Home private network .
That said, currently the core is running in my server at home and from my end when I launch the Roon App is just trying to connect …
The Roonlab Team/engineers should perhaps specify which port should be open to make through the connection between the Core and the player remotely ( NOT in the same network ) .

Hope that can help .

I have roon installed on my synology nas and access it over vpn from anywhere, in my office, over my mobile.

Can you elaborate more ?
with networking details would be very appreciated .

1 Like

By the way , as a reminder !
In my case Roon on “Mobile” doesn’t behave as a player even if I am in the same network than the core .
such a functionality ( Output ) is not supported under iOS .

Plex is able to do this ona synology NAS, in a pretty simple and convenient way - it would be great to see something similar for Roon running on the same NAS. Shouldn’t need to be a networking expert to figure this out - all I read on the forums are warnings but little guidance

1 Like

Logitech Media Server and its predecessor, SqueezeServer and Slimserver before it has provided for external network access for well over a decade and it has been a free, community supported application. Crazy that a premium product like Roon shouldn’t provide the same functionality for its several hundred dollar price tag.

Hi, i have installed my ROON library on my iMac at home. I use my Macbook, iPad, iPhone etc as a remote. It would be amazing when it is possible to connect with the ROON library on my iMac with my Macbook, iPad etc when I am on my work (within an other network). Is this possible? If yes, how would I do this?
If this isn’t possible, are there more users that would think this is a great feature?

2 Likes

It’s not supported, though lots of people have requested it, see this topic that I have moved your post into.

Thanks for moving it Carl. I was looking for an topic that would fit this question but couldn’t find it.

1 Like

You can do it from your Macbook using OpenVPN in TAP mode. The iPad and iPhone has no solution yet.

Is this difficult to set up?

I imagine there are some simple instructions out there depending on your router. Do you have a router capable of being an OpenVPN Server?

I really don’t know :thinking: I’m not that technical with networks.