Post CORE migration issues from PC core/player to innous mini mk3 after restore

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

innous mini mk 3 operating systeminnu OS version 1.4.5

mini mk 3 roon version 1.7 (build 571) stable

PC (as remote) Roon version 1.7 (build 571) stable (64 bit)

PC is running Windows 10 Home
AMD FX 8350 eight core processor 4.00 ghz
16gb ram
64 bit operatiog system

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet based network with wifi capability
Main router Arris TG3482G 1GB high speed

tp-link 8 port switch box

iPad Mini 2 as a remote.

Android device as remote.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

innous mini mk3 connected to network via ethernet > USB-b out to Denefrips Ares II DAC > rca out to Peachtree Nova 300

Tidal HiFi subscription

Description Of Issue
On core migration to innous mini mk3 the following did not happen or cannot not be made to work;

1. playlists did not transfer over
  2. cannot update Music folder location on local PC drive: had this capability prior to migration. Drive and folder are shared.
  3. cannot create scheduled backups to local PC drive; had this capability prior to migration. Drive and folder are shared.
  4. Favourites did not restore

For #2 and #3 I get an error message that reads “There was an unexpected error: UnexpectedError”.

I did a forced back up.
I followed migration process as provided by roon.
Had to use DropBox for backup/restore. Painfully slow process.
Running the restore seemed to “lose” the innous and revert me back to when my PC was both core and player.

Had to “set factory default” on innous several times.

Yes, innous is working, I can use roon and Tidal, however, cannot resolve the issues above.

innous shows in network but is “not connected”.

Have the back up on USB stick and per migration instructions placed in innous and can not get to it to run restore. I can get to innous by entering the ip address, however that only gets me the music folders on the drive. Not any type of roon action. I have also reached out to innous to understand how to do the restore via usb

Hope that is enough information.

Thanks!

Hi @Bryan_McQuade,

Since the USB restore is not working, I’d suggest doing something else. I would copy the backup to the Windows Drive, and set it up as a shared directory: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-view-list-all-shared-network-folders

Then in the Innuous, you can add the network path (don’t forget your Windows credentials) and restore the backup that way. This should resolve the issues and you can add the media via the network and create the backups via network. Do note that for Roon to be able to read the music and create the backups the PC needs to be powered on though.

Hi Noris,

I have a backup on my c:\RoonBackups and shared shared shared and…nothing. Still error in roon.

Please provide steps on how to do this.

The innous shows as a network device “not connected”. Under the windows logo in my task bar I have to type in the ip address of the innous just to get to the 3 music folders. I can’t get to the usb drive and wouldn’t know how to restore from there any way.

As a test I put one folder in the auto import folder and it showed up in my roon albums list. Of course that then carries the date I added to the innous. Also a waste of drive space as my music then is in two locations. Strangely enough roon Storage also shows 12 tracks added (which is the correct count) and monitors the music folder in realtime. I presume this is the innous folder being monitored as I can’t get any detail out of roon. Does that mean I should move my PC music to the innous and then just manage with backups from there. Or copy it so that I have at least a copy elsewhere? Of course backups from innous seems to only work on usb and not to any local PC drive or a NAS.

I have done multi sharing of my folders / drives etc. and cannot get roon to recognize anything.

I am still without my full library, full playlists, and favourites.

I am inclined to wipe the innous clean (factory reset) and start over. Problem is I did that several times and run restore from DropBox and still don’t get my playlists, and of course the error message when trying to connect to any folder on my local PC (for music and backup).

Quick question; seeing as my core is working on the innous could I do a restore with the backup file I made before I started the migration or will that take me back to when my PC was core/player? Thinking out loud as I am in the innous core.

To be clear too, where should I be running backups from, innous or my PC remote. Assuming things can get sorted out.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
Bryan

Hi Noris,

This is mostly resolved. I still have issues setting backups to a local drive or even a NAS. I am using DropBox for now. Still a challenge as it takes almost two hours for DropBox to either save the backup or restore.

Any direction on how to do this to a local drive would be greatly appreciated.

Hoping the innous roon core is now working properly. I renamed the roon database folder per the migration directions, yet I keep getting a new database folder. So I am concerned about that.

Here is what happens…
When I rename the roon Database folder and then start roon I must first accept terms and conditions. At the same time roon is creating another Database folder. I saw this happen as I was watching the folder in Explore.
After I accept the terms and conditions I must select my innous core (yeah!!) or select make this PC the core. I of course select the innous.

If I don’t change the roon database folder then i can open roon on my PC without any issues.

Question or concern; is my PC a proper remote now? Am I going to have database issues?

I still have my questions about innous backup, though presume that is just for innous.

Please let me know so that issues and my concerns can be addressed and resolved.

thank you,
Bryan

Following up.

thanks

Anything at all??

Hi @Bryan_McQuade,

Why are you renaming the Innuous database each time? If you are renaming your Innuous database each time, you are telling Roon to start with a fresh database.

Do you have SMBv1 Server/Client turned on in Windows? This was a feature Windows Updates disabled, but could be the reason why you are unable to connect to your Windows Shared folder:

I would also ensure that you are using the same Workgroup. If that does not help, I would reach out directly to Innuous Support.

Hi Noris,

thank you for the response.

Yes, mini is now working properly and is identified as my core.

Following the SMB process I can now see the innous on the network. Though it shows not connected elsewhere in windows devices.

Resolve: I can now backup roon from roon to the NAS.

I cannot link to any music folders on my PC.

I still can’t backup to any local PC drive.

ISSUE: For the two items immediately above, roon does not let me browse folders on my PC. I only get NAS options to folder browse. Same as in the innous app, no folder browsing. I previously had my choice of PC local drives and folders to browse, prior to core migration.

As for deleting the database folder, per the roon migration instructions it states to delete or rename the database folder to avoid issues after migration. So I renamed it. Out of concern of future issues or abundance of caution I did rename it a few times then decided (correctly perhaps) to stop.

Perhaps the migration instructions need to state more clearly to delete or rename only once so that a new database can be created at the restore/migration point??

Not fully understanding the Workgroup comment. I know my PC is part of a workgroup, not sure how to add the innous, if that is what the comment is directed towards.

Yes, I am also now working with Nuno, from innous on some of the issues.

Thanks for your help and please help with those last minor points.

thank you
Bryan

Hi @Bryan_McQuade,

It sounds like you have a firewall active on the PC, I would check this aspect:

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll pass it on to the team, but yes, just once is necessary.

Hi Noris,

Those items are in my firewall. Still no local drive. I will continue to explore background processes to ensure I didn’t miss any background apps that need tweaking.

For now I am going to consider this resolved as;

a) your input regarding SMB 1, as that got me to the drives I needed to see.

b) Nuno from innous did a remote session and after some time reviewing to ensure all systems were as they should be, he established functional backups for both roon and ZENmini to my NAS.

Following what Nuno did, I was able to establish real time monitoring of my NAS music folder.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Bryan

1 Like

Hi @Bryan_McQuade,

Using a public network might be the issue if you didn’t check this aspect as well:

Thanks for the update here, it sounds like the NAS solution is working nicely with your setup in that case! Do let us know if you run into any other Roon issues.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.