Posts about leaving Roon

You wouldn’t get those comments if you addressed them direct to Roon. If you post on a public forum you invite people to comment. That is what a forum is for.

I did and was ignored. That doesn’t bother me. Like I already stated: one of many customers, so not a big deal.

On the other hand, this thread is about why people post criticisms and even do this after they stop being a customer.

Some call this a sense of entitlement. I have given one of many reasons why this is not so or at least one of many reasons why this is normal behaviour in a commercial relationship according to market psychology and economical theory. That is after all my field of expertise.

Then suddenly the sentiment of gratitude is thrown into a thread that is about why dissatisfaction on verifyable issues leads to expressions of dissatisfaction. It makes no sense whatsoever. To reiterate: my part in the discussion is about aspects of a commercial transaction and whether or not the sales pitch corresponds with the actual product and whether or not the marketing hyperbole stays within acceptable bounds.

Fanboy posts are not conducive to mutual understanding. Those kinds of comment are what I would consider more appropriate to do off line.

But hey, we’re not philosofying about something of true importance here. The world will keep on turning with or without (dis)satisfied customers. And with or without Roon for that matter.

1 Like

Gee. I am over 50 and have worked extremely hard for over 30 years. I am in the group of people who live comfortably. I’ll just have to burst your bubble about entitled. I love Roon. Try not to use a broad stroke with your paintbrush next time.

1 Like

"Talkin’ loud and sayin’ nothin’ " Don’t take the bait.

I guess people leave Roon because they don’t think the value of what they are getting is equal to or greater than $10 per month. I’m still trying to decide. As I have no music library of my own, using Roon means I am using Tidal, Qobuz, or both. I’m still trying to decide on them also.

If you use a streaming service with their dedicated app, then you’re going to hear music out of something… but ease and quality is the question. Roon can guarantee a consistent user experience, great quality audio, and some extra meta data goodies for your reading enjoyment too. Personally, I’m local library only, and find Roon to be a great (if not the best) way to navigate and enjoy it.

Personally, I think both Tidal and Qobuz work better without Roon. I use Roon just to stream to my Oppo 203 using WIFI. I could not care less about the other information Roon provides.

Hi James, Welcome to the forum. How long have you been using Roon? Have you tried tinkering with the focus features? Lots of good stuff there. UDP-203 is a good player. Have one myself.

Yes, and it’s all interesting information. On the other hand, I’m most interested in being able to listen to HD music steaming from Tidal, Qobuz, and now from Amazon. I want to be able to do that smoothly and without a lot of hassle.

1 Like

The Roon interface is great for that. I just dumped Tidal. Decided MQA wasn’t that big a deal for me. Using Qobuz hi-res (annual plan) and my own catalog. Again, welcome. Enjoy.

1 Like

Then Roon is not for you. It’s that simple.
The real value of Roon is about enhancing how you interact with music. I’ve discovered so much music I never would have bumped into without Roon. I’ve followed a few hyperlinks and found new music genres that are now among my favorites. And along the way I’ve learned a lot about artists and composers, which frankly I never would have cared about before.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to simply stream music, and if that’s what you are most interested in then Roon isn’t worth the investment. I’d hope you keep an open mind and poke around more in Roon in the future.

1 Like

Right now, Roon is the easiest and best way I have of streaming Tidal and Qobuz to my Oppo 203 and on to Bose via HDMI. My only Airplay 2 device is an Apple TV 4K which down-converts everything to 16/48. The Apple TV has a Tidal app, but again, it’s 16/48.

I can use Bose Soundtouch to stream Amazon HD to my Bose. So yes, Roon is for me until/unless I get some new equipment. Otherwise, I have to plug my laptop or iPad into HDMI cables I have already connected to my system, but that is not what I want to do.

If I keep Roon for the reason stated above, I’m sure I will find some value in the other features.

1 Like

Hello @grossmsj
I have to say that I agree with @Jim_F. I am not interested at all with the meta data that Roon offers. I enjoy Roon simply because of the quality of the audio output and also the ability of having this same quality throughout my home.

As for as meta info, Roon is incorrect way to many times for me.

I really do enjoy the output quality of local and online streaming.

–MD

1 Like

Okay, that’s awesome. If two people feel that way, others likely do as well, which would mean my view is too narrow. Not the first time I’m wrong on that.
It’s true Roon put a lot into RAAT. But @Jim_F stated he was using it “just to stream to my Oppo 203 using WIFI”. So I did not really consider all of Roon’s transport features. No matter. I stand corrected!

As far as meta data, that’s a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. I’m not going there…

1 Like

Me either …

–MD

I guess Roon is a nice piece of software that meets the needs of lots of people for different reasons. I’m using it right now to listen to Chicago as I am visiting various forums I like to visit.

Excellent post Rudy. It’s still as relevant topic today as it was first posted. I think there was a ‘Why I am leaving Roon’ started some time ago. My 2 cents of that 1. I don’t care, 2. Please close the door behind you. It actually got quite a bit of traction - sadly. Thanks for this Rudy