Posts about leaving Roon

(A Welshman, currently exiled in Hampshire) #42

You are right, I’m Caucasian, middle aged (53.5), middle class, income 100k and i have worked bloody hard to get there and i dont care if anyone doesn’t like it.
I’m polite, respectful but dislike prejudice.

THIS! RIGHT! HERE!

Nothing new. Just with the invention of “the internet” where everyone big and small has a voice, it’s now plainly laid out for all to see. I abhor hearing these sort of things, too, previously being in the software industry. Of course, squeaky wheel (read: higher paying clients) gets the grease…

(ipeverywhere) #44

In reference to original post…

I see two things happening here:

1. Roon is subscription model. Opposite of that is pay once and get something in return and maybe to get something different or more in return I pay again. On the pay once model if the thing I got in return becomes less value to me than the personal investment to use it I just walk away. The subscription model, however, forces a constant re-evaluation of the value of my subscription. It’s easy to decide that something which was once “WOW” is now “ho-hum” and I walk away.

2. Roon is early software, early adoption, and takes a fair bit of “personal investment” to use. This creates an emotional attachment to the product which is hard to let go of. Normally, without an emotional attachment, you’d just walk away. But, with an emotional attachment, people will go through (although not exactly the correct way to state it) a period of grief before letting go. One of the stages of grief is bargaining. And, hence, you see plenty of posts where people have made the decision to walk away but, because they are emotionally attached, they play the “bargaining” game asking for “the one thing” that will allow them to stay.

Roon should stay focused on their roadmap. People need coping stills to walk away from software and that software’s community. If Roon’s roadmap is flawed then competing services will win and the entire community will shift together.

I’ll also add 3) those bargaining threads get long because of the fear that the community will shrink. Those still invested in the software and community want to help that person stay. It’s a really enduring goal and provides a great feedback loop for the personal investment / attachments one feels towards the software. But, again, it’s just software. It’s OK if others stop using it.

(Kevin Roxby) #45

Oh you get it. You observations and conclusion is spot on. Kudos!

(Jim Murray) #46

Rudy, I appreciate what you’re conveying here. People do vote with their choices and their dollars. That said Roon has been a godsend to my enjoyment of music, and as you said they do provide a forum for feedback and often respond to what folks are wanting. I think one of the challenges for any business now, especially in the high end digital arena is that there are a lot of sophisticated end users who are very demanding. That’s ok, because it does challenge everyone to push forward. However, sometimes I find it’s good to step back and remember what has already been accomplished, the enjoyment derived and just be grateful. When I started with moving my collection to digital storage a decade ago I mused about wanting to pick up the albums, know who was playing what, who engineered it and when it was recorded. Roon does that well, it also provides a great sounding platform that works with many different set-ups and it organizes a collection of thousands of albums.

(Frank Daman) #47

Not to be too obtuse, but I don’t get the grateful part.

Roon sells a product, I pay for it. I’m not entirely happy with the product but I keep paying for it.

Who should be grateful to whom here?

(Martin Webster) #48

I don’t think this has anything to do with an exchange of money for goods or services. If I go to a restaurant and the services is exceptionally good I may echoes gratitude. Likewise if a colleague, friend or stranger helps me out I will be thankful.

When I listen to music I am grateful for the artist and for Roon which helps me discover something new.

It’s good for us to show recognition.

(Frank Daman) #49

I will feel and express gratitude in a commercial exchange whenever the circumstances warrant this. I have also been on the receiving end of this many times.

But here, there is no such situation. I buy a subscription service from a vendor who doesn’t know me from Adam and treats me as such: one of many customers. This is a perfectly normal situation.

I am not entirely satisfied with the product but I still do not cancel my subscription, partly because there is one part of the service that is superior to competing products, namely play queue management.

Again: which way should the gratitude go?

If you want to feel gratitude to a service provider, by all means do.

As far as I am concerned I am in a strictly commercial relationship with Roon. Gratitude has no place in this relationship. I fulfilled my end of the bargain, Roon has too, sort of but not to my entire satisfaction.

The appreciation of the services rendered is after all up to the paying customer and not up to the service provider.

(Henry) #50

Firstly @Frank_Daman thank you for your explanation to my question earlier. It helps put your particular circumstance in perspective. Secondly, I agree with @Martin_Webster, it is OK to praise Roon and give recognition for the things they do well. It is equally OK to make them aware of perceived failings and give them reasons why you are unhappy. Personally I’d do that off line. Getting into disagreements with otherwise happy customers doesn’t actually achieve anything.

(Frank Daman) #51

I agree with you on that point.

Now reverse the point of view if you will: dismissive comments in the vein of “I’m happy with the product and I imply that you should be too” don’t achieve anything either, except maybe increase the irritation level of the dissatisfied customer.

We are still talking about a commercial transaction as far as I am aware.

Now, as to indicating shortcomings, I can’t really see the point in doing that off line. By using this forum “dissenters” get a voice too. Unless the point of this board is to praise all things Roon.

(Henry) #52

You wouldn’t get those comments if you addressed them direct to Roon. If you post on a public forum you invite people to comment. That is what a forum is for.

(Tim Clardy) #53

And I am getting tired of everything on earth being politicized. Please allow us to discuss Roon and music here without having to think about political issues. Take it somewhere else there is enough of this divisive rhetoric elsewhere.

(Frank Daman) #54

I did and was ignored. That doesn’t bother me. Like I already stated: one of many customers, so not a big deal.

On the other hand, this thread is about why people post criticisms and even do this after they stop being a customer.

Some call this a sense of entitlement. I have given one of many reasons why this is not so or at least one of many reasons why this is normal behaviour in a commercial relationship according to market psychology and economical theory. That is after all my field of expertise.

Then suddenly the sentiment of gratitude is thrown into a thread that is about why dissatisfaction on verifyable issues leads to expressions of dissatisfaction. It makes no sense whatsoever. To reiterate: my part in the discussion is about aspects of a commercial transaction and whether or not the sales pitch corresponds with the actual product and whether or not the marketing hyperbole stays within acceptable bounds.

Fanboy posts are not conducive to mutual understanding. Those kinds of comment are what I would consider more appropriate to do off line.

But hey, we’re not philosofying about something of true importance here. The world will keep on turning with or without (dis)satisfied customers. And with or without Roon for that matter.

(Edward Schreiber) #55

Gee. I am over 50 and have worked extremely hard for over 30 years. I am in the group of people who live comfortably. I’ll just have to burst your bubble about entitled. I love Roon. Try not to use a broad stroke with your paintbrush next time.

(Michael Butler) #56

"Talkin’ loud and sayin’ nothin’ " Don’t take the bait.