Pre Purchase Titan Questions for the Technically Inept

Hi Folks,

I’ve pre-ordered the new Nucleus One but am thinking about upgrading to the Titan. It’s mostly future proofing, a bright shiny object affection, and I can afford it.

I know just enough to be dangerous and am interested in the community’s wisdom.

I live in an Apple environment. Roon is currently running on a 2023 iMac with no problem. (Memory usage is always the lurking fear. I also use the iMac for other routine tasks: 18 of the 24 GB of memory consumed on average.)

My music library is connected to the iMac via a fast 8TB external ssd (thunderbolt / usb c).
10651 albums / 85,517 tracks. Mostly Flac files. (Incidentally, when I pre-ordered the Nucleus One and gave Roon this info as well as informing them that I occasionally listen to multiple zones simultaneously (I have four zones) and only use “volume leveling”, they said the Nucleus One would more than meet my needs. :man_shrugging:t2:)

Stereo System:

• Buchardt A700LE Active speakers
  • Primare SC15MK2 for Wisa purposes only (Buchardt uses Wisa)
  • HiFi Rose RS130 connected via coax to the Primare.
  • Oyen Digital U34 Bolt 8TB USB-C (USB4 40Gbps) NVMe Portable SSD, Up to 2800MB/s
  • Zen Mic for room correction

Questions:

1. How do I move my license/Roon Server from the iMac to the screenless Titan?

2. Is it ok to continue to use the 8TB external SSD connected to the Titan or I will I experience performance improvements if I install (have someone else install :smiley:) an internal 8TB SSD?

3. I subscribe to Qobuz and love the Roon integration. However, I use streaming only to sample recordings and decide whether I want to purchase/download. I add new files to the 8TB SSD external drive daily and the drive gets backed up to a cloud service daily.

So, whether I use an internal drive or my 8TB SSD external drive will I be able to see the drive on the network to continue my backups? If so, how in an Apple environment. I currently see the external ssd on my network via smb. (I download files from Bandcamp/Qobuz, go through the misery of metadata clean up, and then transfer from my iMac to the external ssd.)

1. In the setup I’ve described above, is there any reason to plug the Primare or Rose RS130 into the Titan? (Or just wall plug and ethernet cable.)

Thanks in advance for your patience and assistance! Bob

1. How do I move my license/Roon Server from the iMac to the screenless Titan?

Connect to the new Nucleus server, log in with the same account, and deauthorize the old server (Roon will offer the option to do so) and you are done.

1. Is it ok to continue to use the 8TB external SSD connected to the Titan or I will I experience performance improvements if I install (have someone else install :smiley:) an internal 8TB SSD?

For the purposes of music storage, it is perfectly fine, this does not need to be super-speedy and using an internal drive will not result in any noticeable improvements. After initial analysis all Roon does with it is locate the file (the path is stored in the Roon database, which does have to be on a fast drive, but you get that with Nucleus) and just read the file you are playing sequentially. Even a spinning disk is more than sufficient for that.

1. I subscribe to Qobuz and love the Roon integration. However, I use streaming only to sample recordings and decide whether I want to purchase/download. I add new files to the 8TB SSD external drive daily and the drive gets backed up to a cloud service daily.
    So, whether I use an internal drive or my 8TB SSD external drive will I be able to see the drive on the network to continue my backups? If so, how in an Apple environment. I currently see the external ssd on my network via smb. (I download files from Bandcamp/Qobuz, go through the misery of metadata clean up, and then transfer from my iMac to the external ssd.)

If you connect the drive to the Nucleus, it will still be accessible via SMB. That’s the official way of getting music files on it, so other than a different network path for the drive, nothing would change.

1. In the setup I’ve described above, is there any reason to plug the Primare or Rose RS130 into the Titan? (Or just wall plug and ethernet cable.)

With Primare being Roon Ready itself, this, honestly, seems to be an overly convoluted setup. RS130 isn’t adding anything that Primare wouldn’t do all by itself, especially with your speakers taking a wireless digital input anyway. In any case, if it is easy to use a network cable to connect either Primare or Rose to your Roon setup, it will be the best approach. If the Nucleus is going to be close enough to the network streamer, you could use USB as well, there shouldn’t be any audible difference, especially with so many extra steps, but with the network connection at least you will have nice album art on the Rose.

Just use whichever is more convenient…

Boris_Molodyi thank you very much!

Further,

1. “overly convoluted setup.” I understand and appreciate your point. That said, I’ve drunk the Kool-aid and I’ve convinced my brain or my brain has convinced me, and/or I fell prey to the hype as it relates to an enhancement in the sound (totally non-scientific as I’ve admitted) and I love the screen (at my age that tiny Primare screen isn’t readable).

2. re: “If the Nucleus is going to be close enough to the network streamer, you could use USB as well, there shouldn’t be any audible difference, especially with so many extra steps, but with the network connection at least you will have nice album art on the Rose.”

Shouldn’t I be able to use continue to use the Primare and RS130 and see the beautiful screen from 15 feet away without plugging in anything to the Titan :face_with_monocle:? My iMac, where Roon Server is currently installed, isn’t attached to these devices. (All devices are hard wired - I’m not using wifi).

Will I gain anything in performance from a direct, plugged in connection between the Primare and/or the Rose RS130 to the Titan?

Also, on separate but related note, I understand the Primare has a DAC and is a streamer (I need the Primare for Wisa to the Bucharest speakers - I have found the Platin Hub problematic and it has no ethernet port). The Rose RS130 is plugged into the Primare via coax. I don’t understand the Primare/RS130 redundancy as it relates to the signal path - refer to image - would someone explain please?

Once again, my sincerest appreciation!

You’re welcome!

Yes, it will work exactly as it did before, and you will still have the screen (the best part about Rose; that’s why I got two of them :rofl: ) just as before.

No, nothing from the performance or sound quality standpoint, and you will lose cover art display.

Primare is Roon Ready and has an ethernet input, so in your case the only thing the Rose is doing is displaying pretty pictures on its screen. It takes whatever you send to it, with Roon’s RAAT protocol, possibly downsamples it to S/PDIF capabilities (24/192 max), sends it to Primare, which might further downsample it to WiSA’s 24/96 limit, and then Primare sends it to your speakers using WiSA.

Nothing specifically bad there, since WiSA is the only way to get digital signal to Buchardts (although I am quite surprised that at that price point they do not at least have a proper wired digital input; really they should be Roon Ready themselves for that kind of money, IMHO). But you would achieve the same result either using a much cheaper Rose (150 or 250 would work just as well, and they are full-featured players with good DACs) if you really want the big display, or by bypassing the Rose entirely and plugging ethernet into Primare itself. No picture in that case, but Roon would be working just as well.

As far as your signal path goes, S/PDIF is a unidirectional connection. Rose has no idea what (if anything at all) is on the other end of it, for all it knows, the other end of the coax might be hanging in the air, so the only thing it can report back to Roon is that it is dumping the signal into its digital output but has no idea what goes on afterwards.

If you connect Primare to the network, the top of your signal path should look the same, but instead of Rose RS130 it would say Primare, and after Primare it would show whatever processing SC15 is doing to the signal, and probably show the conversion to 24/96 for WiSA.

Sonically, end result would be the same in either case.

If your external drive is formatted in Mac Journaling HFS+ then while it can be read by a One or Titan, they will not be able to write to it. You should probably get another drive, reformat that one to exFAT and then copy all the music from one 8tb drive to the other.

You music workflow would become download/rip the music on your Mac PC, fix the metadata and then copy the music TO the smb share of the external drive on the Nucleus. In essence the drive on the Nucleus will be the backup copy of the music.

External drives are the way to go, imho, since you can use them as database backup locations. You can’t do that with an internal drive on the Nuclues.

As for your Signal Path…
Roon is applying volume leveling, sending the stream to the Rose, which is just passing it along to the Primare. Roon doesn’t know what, if any, DSP the Primare is doing. In essence, the Rose if functioning as a Roon Endpoint with a screen in your setup.

Thank you very much for the info. I’ll reformat the 8tb ssd to ex-fat. (I have my library backed up locally.)

Whether I use a Platin Hub or Primare…I need Wisa for the Buchardt speakers…I can’t think of any way around that other than using speaker cable (can anybody? ( short of buying non-wisa speaker?)) I love the sound of my Bucharest A700s.

I’ve tested hooking up speaker cables in the past and didn’t notice any improvement in sound quality. In fact, sound quality was worse. Perhaps I should test again from both the Primare and the Rose. Any recommendations on good speaker cables?

On a different note, re: Nucleus One versus Titan…is this a situation where it either works or it does not work based on the size of a user’s music library, dsp and sample rate settings, processing power, etc. Or, might both be perfectly fine but the Titan SOUND better due to its more advanced technology?

Buchardts do not seem to offer any other options for this model… If you think that you have something with better DACs than Buchardt you could try connecting to the analog input. If I am reading the specs correctly, ADC and internal processing on them are at 24/192 so it might sound same, better, or worse. Your Rose does not have any analog outputs but you could try going directly to Primare and comparing WiSA and analog outputs.

You will need line-level, not speaker cables though.

Pretty much yes, either it works well, works too slow, or does not work at all. There is no audio technology in any Nucleus at all. In your signal path, with so many digital retransmissions happening, even if something in any Nucleus model could affect how bits sound (there isn’t, but many people do want to believe that there is some “magic”) after going through network, RS130, to Coax, to WiSA, and through Buchardt’s DSP, any effect would be completely masked.