Primary Version - Prefer FLAC over MQA option

Mine has manual relays that click on sample rate change but it certainly doesn’t smear content by adjusting the timing of certain frequencies like minimum phase filters do in DACs.

2 Likes

I had done an analysis of playback preferences, which are not currently configurable.

Currently, Locally stored music will always be preferred (regardless of sampling and bit rate) over Tidal and Qobuz.

With Hi-Res, Qobuz is preferred over Tidal (assumed as it is native)

With CD Quality, Tidal is preferred.

This was all done by clicking the play button.

No, it’s the opposite. MQA (and thus Tidal) is privileged over Hi-Res (and thus Qobuz)

That’s very strange, I had the opposite as indicated in the screenshot when the same resolution was available. Though, I would prefer to have a choice of preferred streaming service or '“highest resolution available” to be considered for the next update!

Well just to verify I just searched for that album. It found the same one and when I click “Play Now” the MQA version played. Are you in Europe? Maybe Roon is interacting with Tidal/Qobuz differently depending on region?

29 posts were merged into an existing topic: MQA and Digital Rights Management

Let’s stay on topic here guys …

If you see an off topic post … just flag it … please don’t reply as that just propagates the off topic discussion.

Focus format != filter.

Carl, none of my posts you moved (and several replies to my posts) have anything to do with DRM. They are directly related to this topic requesting a feature.

1 Like

MQA may well be the cubic zirconia of hi-res audio but it i not a virus. It will not infect your system. It is a choice…and option. Personally I like having choices. Sometimes I think the MQA file sounds great…other times I cannot distinguish it from a regular FLAC. If you don’t like it, for whatever reason, don’t listen to it.

4 Likes

Other threads go into detail how MQA is a proprietary/DRM codec that has significant implications to your digital ecosystem. It is not simply another choice. This is a feature request thread, perhaps you could take your argument to one of the other threads…

1 Like

That’s exactly what I would like to do. Unfortunately, when playing a Tidal playlist through Roon there is NO choice to not listen to MQA. Roon just plays the MQA version if it is available. I don’t want that because the change of resolution and subsequent clicking from my DAC’s relay ruins my enjoyment of the music.
Surely it’s fair to give us a choice, for what ever reason anyway.

3 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: My DAC clicks when the sample rate changes - How do I turn MQA off?

Sorry about that … they got caught in the off topic split out … I have moved them back.

It’s not a small group. Some simply don’t want to play MQA because they don’t like the business module, some don’t like how it sounds, some don’t believe hi-resolution adds allot when you have a well implemented DAC.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: My DAC clicks when the sample rate changes - How do I turn MQA off?

Small change on Roon’s part (it already does this - the core functionality is already there), for a larger use case than you believe I believe. Also, by expanding focus functionality to streaming, Roon would catch up to both Tidal and Qobuz browser based app functionality, both of which allow end user control of what is streamed. When the Tidal and Qobuz browser based apps are more advanced than Roon, then the case for Roon is weakened significantly…

1 Like

Exactly.
I find I now prefer to use the Tidal app and airplay to my endpoint.

If you (Roon owners I’m talking to you) had the choice of having a clicking sound between tracks or having normal silence between tracks which one would you choose?

All I want is to have the choice to turn off MQA so Tidal ONLY plays 44.1 tracks.

I don’t think that’s a big ask, particularly as I paid lifetime membership before MQA came along and there were never any clicks then.

1 Like

I was hoping there would be an option to set preference globally for 16bit instead of MQA. In my case it is an issue of bandwidth. My internet speed is marginal at best. 16 bit works just fine but mqa does not. When searching for albums to play, creating playlists etc I have to go into versions of the album to get the 16bit version which ends up taking more time than I would like.
Possible?

1 Like

Sounds like it would be worth it to upgrade your internet?