Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Bummer. I use iPower to power all my RPis and, of course, my USB3. :disappointed_relieved:

@dabassgoesboomboom - What do you use for your or your dadā€™s iFi devices?

Hey Slim, his iFi iDAC2 (so to be replaced with this new Westlake S2 DAC once available here in Oz) is bus powered by the ultraRendu which is powered by a Gieseler 7Vdc linear PSU.

1 Like

Strange, the mRendu folks specify iPower as an acceptable power supply, but maybe that says alot.

Come to think of it, there was something, somewhere about iPower giving the poorest results with mR, but of course that was countered by yet again another opinion as to what the real problem was.

Welcome to the forums John :slight_smile:

I did notice an increase in sound quality when using the iFi iPower, but maybe a linear power (even a cheap one) would be better. But I only compared it to USB power, so maybe the included PSU would give equally good result (I have to check that later on).

Has anyone noticed that the volume levels of Tidal->MQA->S2 are very elevated relative to the redbook version? Even the same release, the MQA is so much louder.

Is this graph from the manufacturer or somebody else?

@John_Westlake, @dabassgoesboomboom -

Sorry to be a PITA.

Before we get off the subject, any thoughts on the TeddyPardo power supplies?

Thanks

Iā€™m the designer - and these are my lab measurementsā€¦

0dB referenced to 3.3V (DAC supply voltage).

Measured across DAC PSU decoupling Caps.

Hey Slim @xxx

Iā€™ll let John comment on his experience and the technical side of the Teddy Pardo PSUā€™s.

Iā€™ve only heard good things. I was close to getting one a couple years ago but the exchange rate at the time wasnā€™t great.

A very minor comment is that Teddyā€™s website and marketing material says his PSU is neither a linear nor switching power supply. But John Swenson has looked at the published tech info thatā€™s available on Teddyā€™s site and said it is indeed a linear PSU.

But that takes nothing away from all the positives Iā€™ve heard.

1 Like

Yeah, thereā€™s a lot of mumbo jumbo in the way the units are described. Thatā€™s what bothered me about them.

1 Like

No problems the external PSU makes a big difference so worth discussing.

Iā€™m guessing TeddyPardo power supplies are fairly basic linear designs so will work well.

But to be quite honest, these supply looks like a bargain (I cannot vouch for its safety or build quality) but from the pictures there is nothing obviously wrong with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Version-15W-LPS-15VA-Linear-power-supply-DC-5V-9V-12V-15V-18V-24V-Optional/132023725092?hash=item1ebd3a2c24:g:3-sAAOSw0TxZZj0W

Would need a 110V US version with Micro USB cable

3 Likes

I donā€™t know, brother. A $50 power supply from ā€˜someoneā€™ on EBay? The concept makes me feel queasy.:pensive:

1 Like

This is not referring to the links above, or any particular product. Just a general FYI.
Some LPS from China are extremely cheap for good reasons. Their measured electrical characteristics may not be very good, and their photos of PCB and components can be different from what you get.

1 Like

What is frequency did you sweep at? I was wondering if the DAC is actually in a mute mode; muting at analog output inside the DAC when no test signal is applied.

Well from an engineering perspective the price is what you would expect with manufacturing in China - it just lacks the x5 to x6 markup a reseller would add.

I cannot say if the PCB / unit is built well with adequate creepage distancesā€¦ but being an engineer Iā€™d buy one as its easy to modify if requiredā€¦ but for sure you need to know what your doing and what your getting into :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those in the US, on a tight budget looking for a non-SMPS option, I wonder if this Jameco linear power wall wart (5Vdc at 1amp) is worth considering? With the right microUSB adaptper of course.

https://www.jameco.com/z/DDU050100H4660-AC-to-DC-Power-Supply-Wall-Adapter-Transformer-Single-Output-5-Volt-1-Amp-5-Watt_168605.html

Datasheet:

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/168605.pdf

Sean, I think if you want to go the lps way you have to go for a reliable brand.

Dick, are there known reliability issues with Jameco? I wouldnā€™t have a clue to be honest.

I dont know, but for those pricesā€¦I will buy an sbooster for my brooklyn

As I mentioned, Iā€™m talking about a replacement for the stock SMPS that the S2 comes with - for those on a tight budget. The Sbooster is one of the best.

For an American (Iā€™m not) buying from an American supplier (like Jameco) is far safer than from a Chinese eBay supplier - you would be protected by US consumer law at least :slight_smile:

1 Like