Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Now that I’ve seen the term “MQB” for the first time, I did a search for MQB and low and behold, the Guru Brian discusses this and more, way up in this very thread. Sorry for the troubles @Anthony_Bristol :weary:

But the visuals you provided helped me tremendously. And the 353k Quiet Winter album is a good example to use because there aren’t that many 353k albums out there on Tidal that involve a 3rd “unfold”.

Sean…the beer…THE BEER!

The album does sound fantastic, I can’t see a non-MQA version so I’ll pipe it through the Pi into the COAX and see if I can hear any difference.

I did try this yesterday with some albums but the gain increase on the MQA feed was throwing me off.

1 Like

I am not able to check now but I think this one is 352.8 kHz too : MAGNIFICAT Nidarosdomens Jentekor, Trondheimsolistene, Anita Brevik

1 Like

Yup for sure there are others.

LOL yes yes :beers:

I’m not THAT fussed with MQA. I bought this DAC (which arrives next week) for dad because he’s obsessed with having MQA.

So he can knock himself out with listening tests. But I’ll probably do some quick tests when I drop it off and install it for him next weekend.

Even beyond MQA, I’m keen to hear this DAC for all non-MQA stuff.

I gave him my sonicTransporter i7 so it will be interesting to see/hear if we prefer up-sampling everything to DSD512 (and therefore ignoring MQA decoding) or letting the DAC doing everything with it’s digital filters, including MQA decoding.

From all the customer reports across various forums, it’s a winner. I can’t wait to test it out.

On the topic of this DAC’s inbuilt filters, which ones are people using/liking ? for non-MQA stuff obviously.

MQA does a cheap trick, raising the volume. So to compare it with non-MQA you need to adjust the volume between tests. Lots of tests and opinions about MQA on the net, but since I don’t use it I haven’t experimented with it myself.

This really is an impressive little box. Yesterday I ran it on USB power alone. This morning I connected it to an Uptone LPS-1 and will leave it like this. SQ is outstanding

Thats hardcore, PSU more expensive than the DAC :slight_smile:

I already had it here. Lol

I have an LPS-1 not being used too.

I was hoping I could keep it for myself for later but if it gives a noticeable bump I’ll have to give that to the old man too. Sigh

Did you feel it did give a noticeable bump in SQ @Robin_Carmack vs USB bus powered ?

Btw, what’s your USB source, if you don’t mind me asking?

Cheers!

I connected it via usb to the UltraRendu and thought the sound was excellent but this morning I decided to connect it to the LPS-1 and it is absolutely sonically superior. My last experiment will be powering it with a Ciunas ISO-PS (battery supply) so I should be able to decide from that. That is what I use for the ultrarendu and it has been magnificent. I cannot be more thrilled with a purchase as I am with the S2. I listen to MQA 90% of the time and it really is very good

1 Like

That’s about the cleanest USB bus power you can provide. Dad’s using my old ultraRendu & LPS-1 combination already with his iFi iDAC2.

So it sounds like adding my spare LPS-1 will improve things yet again. Will give it a shot next weekend.

Sigh, the old man’s inheriting all of my stuff. Isn’t this meant to work the other way around ? :thinking: :joy:

Ha! No! The roles definitely seem to reverse as they age. Lol

1 Like

LOL I’m keen to read how your test with the battery supply goes, if you don’t mind sharing.

No rush of course. I’ll post my impressions here next week too. Cheers

From my own experience with an iFi iPower, and from the thread at pink forums, the S2 definitely benefits from good external power. Hard to say how much (very subjective) but its a noticeable increase in SQ across the board (clarity, stereeo separation and imaging, bass details, etc).

So give the old man your LPS-1, I am sure he deserves it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm… but if power could degrade SQ I decided to turn off power and listen totally without - nor power via USB neither via power supply. Now sound is the best! :wink:

Hi Lonek, but if there’s no USB power and no external power, how does the DAC work? :worried: apologies if I misunderstood :weary:

And what is your USB source?

Gee thanks Magnus ! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

:joy:

hmm yep I have seen the many accounts but I wondered if the USB power is ultra clean (like the Sonore ultraRendu provides, 4 micro V noise at full power) maybe it doesn’t need external . But Robin has the same and found further benefit.

Since USB (ie the ultraRendu or any USB source with this DAC) can only provide <500mA power, I wonder if the DAC draws more current via external power and that’s why it performs better? I have a USB voltage/current tester that I can use to see (for fun lol).

@dabassgoesboomboom For what it’s worth I think it’s awesome you take care of your old man. Good on ya.

2 Likes