Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Hi Pawel,

No I got an adapter 2.1mm to 2.5mm for the cable.

All setup now!

Here it is with the newly installed ROCK outputting direct via USB.

Now for some seriously listening over the weekend!

:smile:

4 Likes

Great setup, Michael. Nice n’ tidy & compact. I love it!

Just be aware of proper ventilation. Not sure what the exact layout over by you is, but, it looks like things are between two existing components in that second pic? Looks maybe a little too snug for my OCD, but, I’m a nut, so, you know…

1 Like

You are not a nut. I have seen lack of proper ventilation kill many a computer and electronic device.

@Joe_Strain - have a closer look at the second pick ,you can see the ventilation slots just under the front edge of the NUC. The cabinet is a BDI Ola and its got crazy good airflow design, slots in the bottom, and slots at the back (which you can also see. The PC on the right is off 99% of the time, the box on the left is the Synology NAS which doesn’t pump out much heat. It may be tight either side, but there is nothing below or above and the total space in the cabinet is huge compared to the kit I have installed in that side.

If it overheats, I’ll reassess the situation :blush:

Agree wholeheartedly with your second sentence, Daniel. You may want to consult my wife before feeling confident in your first one, however. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Fella55 Sounds like you’ve got things well in hand, Michael. Just something which caught my eye. Looks fantastic, in any event.

@Rugby @Joe_Strain

Better? :wink:

1 Like

I tuned up the voltage to 5.2 and tried it (its still within USB specs so should be safe). But I feel it sounds better now, but expectation bias is a bitch so who knows. Anyway, if you feel like experimenting, feel free to try it :slight_smile:

Oh I love a free SQ improvement tip :metal:

Well, I have tried…Hard to tell, when I have someone over I’ll get them to do it while I assume the (listening) position :slight_smile:

The bad news is it arrived after my relocation interstate, so dad will have to wait a few weeks until I install it

More bad news is I need to find a Windows PC to update it’s firmware (I only have a Macbook). Might need to install Windows on my Mac via bootcamp.

The good news is I have it in hand and get to play with it for a few weeks and really run it through the wringer :smile:

1 Like

Updating via VMware works as well. Might be less work than bootcamp.

1 Like

Ah cool, I remember using VMWare when it first came out and forgotten about it since. Thanks for the idea.

Proper Rega fan. Nice!

1 Like

Would anyone know is it possible to make the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 icon visible when using ASIO?

I’m having the icon when using WASAPI, but not with ASIO as you can see below.

This is how mine looks like:

1 Like

Using ASIO, there’s no way for Roon to see what’s beyond the ASIO driver – hence the generic speaker icon. If you’re using Windows and want the pretty picture, use Wasapi. In my limited experience with the S2 on Windows, I did not detect any difference between the two.

Thanks a lot Rene!

There are some differences between ASIO and Wasapi on Windows 10.

• With Wasapi I have a pretty Pro-ject icon, but I loose some of the sample rates (705.6 kHz, 768 kHz, native DSD).
  • With ASIO I don’t have the pretty Pro-Ject icon, but all sample rates work fine.

I think I’ll continue with ASIO… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm… The S2 does not take DSD512 over DoP in any scenario (it would need to be able to receive PCM1536 in that scenario). I don’t have a clear memory of the other three (I only used it with Windows for a short while after updating the firmware).

It did do PCM705.6 and 768 with Linux – as well as native DSD512 (only the x44.1rates though; x48 was distorted heavily).

You are correct regarding DSD512 DoP, my mistake.

If you are using high seria OS on your Mac, older VMware will initially not work. I called VMware support and they talked me through a work around so all good now.

1 Like