Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

Hey Julio, I have some fancy ones lying around from use with other stuff. I don’t think fancy ones are needed to hear the small but still noticesble (not earth shattering) improvements that linear PSU’s brought to my listening. I’m using an Uptone LPS-1 to play with this DAC the S2 DAC and for the iCAN SE we luckily have an Australian brand that builds his own linear PSU’s here at affordable prices (and safety approved) - Gieseler Audio. I have a few of his PSU’s around.

But I did see earlier in this thread that John said a couple of eBay ones looked ok and are really well priced. I’ll dig out the post later.

I also suggested a nice cheap Jameco linear PSU above that John gave the thumbs up to but that’s only available in the US (I think).

1 Like

@Julio see this post by the DAC designer (John Westlake):

And this, regarding Jameco:

So I’ll have to part with this DAC soon.

These past few days I’ve been a pig in mud playing with Roon DSP, trying to find what my ears prefer the most. It will be interesting (to me) when my HD800-S cans return from warranty return to see/hear if my preferences change but here goes…

As a PS Audio DirectStream owner and having played with a Playback Designs Merlot DAC (and dreaming of owning one) I’ve always loved the sound of these DACs that up-sample to 20 x DSD rates (the end result is not DSD itself but 20 x standard DSD rates - so I’m told by the DAC designers).

So my first move is to go straight to up-sampling to DSD512 and I’ve gone with Ted Smith’s preferred ‘linear phase, slow rolloff’ or ‘smooth, linear’ in Roon. I’ve also seen Ted discuss how doubling DSD rates also increases clock phase noise (which manifests as jitter), so higher isn’t always better. So I then played with DSD256 and DSD128 also. All sounded great.

Then after a couple of days of getting used to DSD256 mostly, I went to PCM768kHz, expecting to be unimpressed (for no good reason) - but I preferred it immediately to DSD up-sampling. I prefer ‘precise, linear’.

I then got used to Roon DSP but then turned all Roon DSP off and let the S2 DAC do all the lifting, also using linear phase and fast rolloff. The S2 DAC does quite nicely all by itself but I do prefer Roon up-sampling to PCM768k.

All of the above is only highly subjective personal preference of course, nothing scientific.

What I can say with scientific certainty is that the S2 DAC continues to impress :laughing:

2 Likes

review and measurements of the lil dac

4 Likes

From what I understand, it measures pretty ok (I am not a tech guy), but listening tests and listening comparisons are more useful in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi all, love the little box, but have stumbled over an annoying problem. When streaming MQA from TIDAL, I hear clipping/dropouts once in a while. I can get rid of it by adding “head room adjustment” in Roon setup, but then the MQA indicator turns off. So what am I getting as output? and any ideas of the cause?
Many thanks

What is your firmware version?
When you are using any Roon DSP signal is no longer bit perfect so DAC cannot decode MQA.

Anyone know when non-buggy firmware is due out?

hi fellas! I find this DAC very well packed :ok_hand:, but having my old Hegel H80 integrated amp with his own dac serving me well until now, do you guys think? should I perceive improvements adding this dac into my system? or should I stick with the internal dac of the hegel? my source is allo usbridge, and im not a big user of streaming services.

Is this the same issue? If so, the good news is it’s a known issue and being worked on. We just need to wait.

Many thanks Sean2016. This seems to be the same problem;-) So I guess we’ll just have to cross our fingers and wait for a solution…

No problems TooFrank. Yes, the wheels are in motion, which is always good.

Firmware is 2.12 thanks.

2.12 is back up, with some firmware update utilities: http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en

1 Like

Thanks. So then I should be up to date? Or has there been modifications? I updated to 2.12 a while ago with help from @leftchannel.

Is this the firmware we’ve been waiting for re the MQA problems?

Also, what USB cable is recommended for this DAC?

hi all,
firmware is the same one posted back in December - 2.12 (if anyone has 2.11 they should for sure upgrade).

1 Like

I upgraded the firmware from what I think was 2.10. I have not detected any change in the relative volume difference between MQA and non-MQA. The MQA still generally seems louder.

I just updated mine using the Mac updater. It has the firmware bundled, so I’m not sure if it’s identical to the one you can download, but it has the same version (2.12).

There is no more clicking when playing MQA tracks, but the filter not being reset bug when playing non-MQA after MQA is still there.

1 Like

It’s odd it has taken Pro-ject this long without a firmware fix. It would be one thing if MQA was some obscure feature. But without that feature, this DAC is like many others at a similar price point. I wonder if part of the challenge is actually in MQA code and that is why it has not been resolved.