Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

I think the remaining MQA issue is at least partly an MQA problem (they supply the library to DAC makers), which might explain why it takes some time.

Personally I don’t use MQA and the DAC works very well for me. The only thing I miss is a properly implemented USB volume that updates the volume on the display.

Hi @Magnus

Do you play your files ‘natively’ to the DAC or up-sample with Roon? If the latter, what have been your personal preferences so far?

I use the ASIO driers and when I play DSD files I up-sample to 512, but for normal CD quality I up-sample to 352/384 since I prefer that sound over DSD, and I have my room correction files in that sample rate. If I didn’t have a convolution file to consider I would up-sample to “Max Power of 2”.

In Roon, I use “Precise, Linear Phase” and “5th Order (CLANS)” as filters. I don’t hear any difference between different DAC filters, but then I read the filters are disabled for higher sample rates so that’s probably why :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hehe cool, thanks for sharing.

@brian: Hi,
Why Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital is sometimes advertised as “Roon Ready” certified ?
DAC without network connectivity (no ethernet input) isn’t it. “Roon Ready” and “Roon Tested” synonymous ?
See, for example, https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/Pre-Box-S2-Digital … Seems confusing.

You’re correct, it is Roon Tested, not Roon Ready. I’ll have our marketing department chase them down.

May be that’s right… and I think there is more tidbits in MQA world - still no MQA in Amarra for Windows, still no Audirvana for Windows - with MQA on board. Isn’t it a bit too many those weird coincidences?

Technical problems? 'Cause sure not a marketing manipulation.

True,plus unprofessional measurements are rather useless.

at least someone is trying to measure audio gear and not doing dumb listening impressions which is only subjective and personal taste.

2 Likes

Amir’s hardware teardown of this unit:

1 Like

Hi Rene, from my poor memory, your use case was using the S2 DAC’s built-in headphone amp and it’s stock PSU?

Hey @dabassgoesboomboom,

I moved your post to here as not to drift off topic in the other thread too much…

I used the S2 with a linear PSU (Aqvox) from the start. My only use case is with headphones. Finding the built-in headphone amp rather weak, I added a separate amp (Arcam rHead), which did help a bit, but still did not make for a compelling package. I also replaced the Cubox that was performing Roon Bridge and NAA duties with a microRendu.

The main reason for getting the S2 was building a headphone nook and getting my teeth into the colourful world of upsampling once again. I’ve sent DSD512 and PCM768 to the little box for a few weeks, but in the end found it (once again) unconvincing. I have a lot of respect for HQP’s achievements in this area and have been a license holder for a few years, but it never quite gelled with me. I can hear the different filters/modulator combos making a difference, but not always for the better. Different recordings/productions perform better or worse with different combinations, but I have been unable to find a golden combination that suits most (or all) scenarios.

That (and the questionable need for having workstation class hardware running at full blast just to listen to a Redbook album) makes the whole upsampling shebang get in the way of enjoying the music, as opposed to listening to my gear.

Not wanting to upsample also means that I don’t need a lot of the S2’s features. In the last week I listened to it ‘straight’, using the built-in filters (fast roll-off mostly), which was OK (with the rHead and microRendu), but nothing special. Little annoyances like the lack of a power button and the volume knob not always responding finally made me sell the unit and move on, buying a Meridian Prime that is something special.

Again, this is my use case (headphones only) and with my preferences – YMMV. Its a nice little box with great specs for a great price that appears to make a lot of people happy. I would have really liked to like the little bugger, but alas. In the words of my wife: “Next time, just get what you really want directly.”

Wise woman.

6 Likes

Can you elaborate on this?

Anyone have an idea when non-buggy firmware might be coming out?

Probably never

1 Like

LOL. Even though they have said it’s being worked on (but gave no timeline) it’s best to think this way to avoid disappointment.

I use 2.12 and it works flawlessly for me, but I don’t bother with MQA. I heard that using another filter than optimal transient would at least partially fix the bug where sound gets thin when playing a non-MQA after an MQA.

The only thing I miss now is a proper USB volume, that also updates the volume in the display.

I use 2.12 as well with no problems at all, no problems with MQA whatsoever.

Here is a new review of the S2, I agree with most of whats said in it: https://headfonics.com/2018/03/pro-ject-audio-pre-box-s2-digital-review/

1 Like

lol, they compare the pro ject S2 vs less expensive dacs? that makes me think the S2 is not that good, anybody compared S2 vs chord mojo?