Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

MQA supplies the libraries that are run in the DAC (in this case run by the XMOS), so even so called “hardware MQA support” is basically just a CPU fast enough to run the MQA libraries. In other words, I expect you would see a similar difference in other DACs.

That youtube review was nice, maybe he praised the S2 a little to much, but “slightly behind the Mojo” in SQ but much more features sounds about right. And as mentioned elsewhere, even cheap power like iFi iPower will bring a jump in SQ (even though it is switched).

2 Likes

Thanks all. That’s interesting. Enjoying the DAC just maybe was expecting a big impact from MQA - I will keep comparing!

Sean

Can somebody confirm does the USB volume control work with MQA? I read earlier in the thread that there were issues, but I see the firmware has been upgraded since then.

Received my S2 yesterday and plugged it to my NUC with ROCK.
Streaming Tidal MQA sounds great, actually Tidal 16 bits non-MQA sounds great as well
Testing today with FLAC files on external drive will provide feedback. So far I love this thing.
Can someone provide some fast feedback on how it compares to

• Hugo2
  • PS Directstream
  • Pro-Ject RS line
    The difference in price is substantial, but a more expensive option would it be good to consider?

The USB volume control does not work with MQA (or DSD) in firmware 2.12.

Thanks Joe. That’s kinda a deal breaker for me, since this DAC would be used as pre-amp as well. Does anyone know if this has been flagged up as an issue and is being worked on? I’m sure that DAC volume can be done in such a way as to be compatible with MQA.

@John_Westlake said USB volume was considered (or even being worked at), but I think he is busy with the streamer project. I would also like a proper USB volume that works fully digital on the DAC chips, and updates the volume in the display.

But just to make sure there is no misunderstandings: the physical volume on the DAC itself works properly by setting the volume on the DAC chip itself (i.e. with minimal loss of quality). USB volume is the ability to control the volume over USB, for example from Roon by setting volume control to “Device”

1 Like

I have my S2 connected directly to active speakers, and control all volume with the volume knob on the DAC, or with the DAC remote. Works excellent for all formats and in all situations.

I indeed did misunderstand. So the remote/physical volume control on the unit works fine with MQA, DSD, PCM etc. But USB volume only works partially (i.e. Roon sending volume commands to the DAC), and not properly with MQA and DSD streams. Is that a good summary?

100% correct :slight_smile:

1 Like

looks like the mojo is still the winner

Well the Mojo costs more, has an internal battery and does not support mqa. Not entirely relevant comparison. I expect if you have more money and don’t care about MQA Mojo would certainly be worth looking at. For me, I want MQA plus the Mojo is a bit pricey.

I haven’t compared them myself, but from what I have heard Mojo is more colored. But be that as it may, for a desktop DAC/preamp the S2 is far more practical (Mojo has volume buttons and not even proper RCA outputs).

Arghh, my S2 just died. It sounded a little strange for a few hours, and now it refuses to detect that an USB cable is attached (I tried restart, different cables, different USB inputs etc). So now I use my old DragonFly Dac, and will return the S2 to dealer for warranty fix (which will probably take like 2 months).

It has made me appreciate the sound from the S2 more though, changing to the DragonFly Dac (which is excellent for its price), was a big step down. Everything sounds flat and boring, and stereo image shrank a lot (no more playing outside the speakers).

Eep, this is bad news. Had you touched the unit at all (a bump or removed the USB cable and re-inserted, for example) or it just died without touching it at all?

No, it died gradually. I noticed a week ago that it lost connection and I had to restart it a couple of times to get it working again, then today it started to sound a little thin and strange, and finally it started showing the red “no connection” icon even when I had USB plugged in. I never moved it, and just unplugged/inserted USB when it started to behave badly. Naturally I restarted it, tried different USB etc. And when plugging in the old DragonFly Red it worked on same USB that the S2 didn’t.

1 Like

RIP S2.
Let’s hope you will get new one soon.

1 Like

Oh dear. Sorry to read this.

I hope your dealer looks after you with a ‘minimum fuss + fast response’ filter.

There’s no doubt it was get sorted under a warranty repair but it’s just a matter of how quickly. Hopefully it’s much quicker than the 2 months you guesstimated.

Oh dear!

I hope you get it sorted quickly.

I am a little worried about the quality of this little DAC. Quite a few users it seems have reported physical issues.

Being a bit lazy here but can anyone advise if the Meridian Prime power supply can power the S2?
Thanks,