Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra and Pre Box S2 Digital vs. Matrix Audio mini-i Pro 3

The new headphone boss is here. First impression: robust, high-quality manufacturing - and up and running with Roon in seconds.
Not good: very long gaps between tracks, again, as with my Sonos devices. Will have to check all settings. Did not have that issue with the Pro-Ject boxes until yesterday.

But now let’s go for the sound test! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Make sure you are on the latest firmware. Also, WiFi is not good on most Matrix Audio devices. I have had mine running over Ethernet connection, including the X-SABRE 3. I never experienced long gaps with the mini-i Pro 3. Only get long gaps from the X-SABRE 3 when using TIDAL Connect which I don’t use as mine is exclusive for Roon use. I’m glad you like the sound. It’s a really impressive little streamer/headphone amp.

1 Like

I updated the firmware (first thing I did after unboxing) and the device is wired.
My wife wasn’t too happy with me spending too much of my free time with the device so I have to do more analysis next night when she will be asleep… :joy:

Thanks Enrico.

2 Likes

Congratulations on getting the little device.

With the long gaps across multiple end points in your system it is looking more like a Roon issue.
Have you tried Airplay to it and just see if you have the delays with that as well

1 Like

Thanks @Michael_Harris - will check other protocols aside RAAT…

Only when the wife allows of course.
I know that one well :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Hi Uli, as Michael states that is looking more and more like a Roon issue. I’m using Audirvana Studio which is pretty much instantaneous at the moment as it is just too frustrating listening to 6-10 seconds of silence between tracks on Roon.

1 Like

Hi @Fergus_B, I think so too. I did some more listening last night and some albums played just fine - without long gaps, and „Marillion - Brave Live“ even perfectly gapless.
But with other albums I experienced the long gaps, again. Not the mini-i Pro 3‘s fault, I guess.

Finally, a few words about the sound of my new technical roommate: fabulous! With my old UltimateEars super.fi5 pro IEM, I rarely had such a full, balanced and relaxed sound in my ears, with still an incredible amount of power reserves.
With the AudioQuest NightOwl, I have to turn up the volume considerably higher to get an adequate sound, but I’m spoiled here too with a luxury sound that is suitable for long listening sessions and reminds me most of a tube headphone amplifier (if it is allowed to say that).

In short: everything was fine with the Pro-Ject boxes, but now it’s better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So glad it’s working, I sometimes find that I have to turn the volume up higher with some headphones, but there is always plenty of headroom for me at least.

It’s a great little device, its not as interesting as the Zen Stream for tech support issues as it always just work’s

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sorry, too funny not to post my reaction

2 Likes

I left the door wide open for you to drive your lorry through. :rofl::+1:t2:

2 Likes

I am a new owner of Matrix Audio gear. The setup experience was quite uneventful. Its sound quality is truly hi-fi. Nice to hear some positive feedback about this brand of gear from others too.

2 Likes

Yes, @Tian_Liu, setup was very easy and straightforward. The menu navigation is self-explanatory and what I already find absolutely great besides the sound: the power-saving option, which I can also activate via Roon if necessary, and that the unit wakes up as soon as I control it from Roon.

A well thought-out, small device.

2 Likes

If you ever need support from Matrix Audio, contact Wei Cao and he will respond ASAP with a solution. I have gotten firmwares with a fix in less than 48 hours after request. Just keep in mind they are in China Mainland Time Zone so sometimes you could get a bit of delay between email responses.

3 Likes

yes, they are unadvertised bonus features, frosting on the cake.

1 Like

Really good to hear you are happy with it.
I stopped looking after I got mine😇

1 Like

It’s always interesting to hear what equipment the average avid music listener has. My new year resolution is to revamp my headphone system. After listening to many headphones, amps and dacs over the years I’m firmly of the opinion that one needs 5-6 headphones, 2 amps and 2 dacs because they vary so much in sound and suitability for different kinds of music. My main listen is rock/pop, some country, some folk. I would be very interested in headphone systems that others have as I find reviews can be very misleading.

Having more choice of equipment is certainly helpful. But - so much depends on the recording…
With the new Matrix Audio device mentioned here and my AudioQuest NightOwl, most albums sound really great to me, but yesterday I heard some indie albums that really weren’t produced very well. They sounded pretty bad, but then no other headphones, amp or DAC will help, I think. In these situations, I try to think “music first” and not be bothered by the sound, but I don’t always succeed…

Interesting observation and something I’ve noticed more and more and that is that the potential sound quality that is achievable from our headphones, speakers etc far outstrip the quality of recordings, at least for rock orientated music. Some music production is so poor that no headphone can save them and the better the headphone the worse the result. The music actually sounds better on very inexpensive equipment.

1 Like