Problem adding albums to Roon Library

Roon Core Machine

Apple Mac Mini 2012, i5 CPU, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. This machine is dedicated to running Roon Core. All music files are stored on a Synology NAS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon Core is connected to a Fritz!Box router by Ethernet cable, as is the NAS. The remaining LAN is via BT Whole Home mesh wi-fi devices.

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node 2i, Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i, KEF LS50WII, Sonos Play 3 Gen 1, Sonos Play 1 Gen 1, Technics SC-C50, Sony AV Receiver

Number of Tracks in Library

~19,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I am trying to rationalise my NAS-stored music to ensure that it is acceptable to Roon. It consists of a combination of purchased/downloaded files and files ripped from CDs. My file format of choice is .flac but a large number of legacy files are in .wma format and I have either converted them to .flac using dbPoweramp (Windows) or re-ripped the CDs using XLD or dbPoweramp (Mac). Adjustments to metadata and artwork are made using Yate (Mac).

As far as I can tell, when importing albums Roon recognises and accepts all the purchased/downloaded files and most of the CDs converted from .wma or ripped/re-ripped to .flac. But there are a significant number of the CDs that are not accepted into my Roon Library, yet they are not listed as Skipped Files. All but a tiny number of the Roon-rejected files are accepted into the Bluesound and Sonos libraries.

I have found that:

1. Some converted files that have been rejected by Roon are accepted when the CD is re-ripped.
  2. Some CDs ripped using XLD are rejected but when ripped using dbPoweramp are accepted.
  3. Some rejected albums that are stored on the NAS are accepted when copied to the Core machine’s SSD. I haven’t tested this finding with all rejected albums but I wonder if Roon is generally happier with files stored on the Core machine rather than the NAS.

It seems that Roon can be very discriminating when importing albums into the Library and, despite reading the guidance for importing files, I cannot see what particular factor might account for the rejections.

Any advice or guidance anyone can offer will be welcome.

TIA

It has been suggested to have the library local to the Roon for a variety of reasons, and just use the NAS to keep a copy. This is what I do and haven’t had an issue for over 6 years.

An external USB drive works great and is fairly inexpensive. I use WD drives.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m not sure why the location of the track should determine acceptance into the Library but using a folder on the core machine for storing ‘awkward’ tracks seems to be an effective workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.