Problem adding new files to existing album in library

core: 2015 Apple MacBook Pro, current MacOS version
endpoint: Airplay on Airport Express
Roon: current version

Description Of Issue

I’m recording a new album. I keep its tracks in a MacOS folder inside the audio files folder that my Roon library watches. After I finish recording some new tracks, I add them to the existing album folder and then open Roon to play them back. The Roon browser shows the album, but when I select the album and open it, the new tracks aren’t displayed. However if I navigate by a different path (searching for the new tracks), Roon does display the new tracks in the album but does not display the older ones. I’ve tried deleting the album with the edit function, and also moving the album out of the library folder and back into it, both before or after restarting Roon. None of that fixes the problem and I can’t find anything online about this. At this point, the only thing I can think of is to delete the entire Roon library and rebuild it from scratch. However I’m adding new tracks to this album every day, so that doesn’t seem like a good solution. Can you please help me with this? What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, @TomJ, sorry to hear about your troubles. May I kindly ask you to illustrate the following steps (with screenshots):

1. “The Roon browser shows the album, but when I select the album and open it, the new tracks aren’t displayed” – what are you seeing when you open this album? Could you, please, go to track-level-3-dot-button -> View File -> Check Storage Location path

2. “However if I navigate by a different path (searching for the new tracks), Roon does display the new tracks in the album but does not display the older ones.” – How exactly do you navigate? I mean, step by step actions. Could you, please, post a screenshot of what you’re seeing and while you’re viewing this album, could you, please, go to track-level-3-dot-button -> View File -> Check Storage Location path and post a screenshot of you’re seeing

Thanks!

Ivan

Thanks Ivan for your quick reply. Here are 7 screenshots. Since my support request, I tried removing and restoring the folder once again. The screenshots show that I now have two album entries, one containing yesterday’s tracks and the other containing today’s tracks.
[screen shots deleted July 19]

FYI I just fixed the problem (for now) by deleting both albums using the delete function in your edit menu, which preserved the album folder but removed all the files, and then copying a new set of the same files into that folder. Now all the tracks display properly in a single album. I’d appreciate any advice you can offer for how to new tracks to this album in the future. Thanks!

Further clarification - when you add one or more tracks to an existing album by moving new audio files into an existing album folder that Roon watches, then on the current release of Roon and MacOS, (i) Roon bifurcates the album in its library, where one version of the album contains the original files and the other version contains the new files, and (ii) the work-around is to close Roon, copy all the album tracks (files) to any another folder, open Roon, delete both albums, and then copy all album tracks back into the album folder that Roon watches. This problem and the work-around are both reproducible on my installation of Roon core. cheers…

Can you not use the “Merge Albums” function in Roon to re-create the single album with the new tracks included? Much quicker than faffing about with moving files and deleting albums, I would have thought?

Thanks Geoff for asking. Yes I tried but couldn’t use Merge because it didn’t recognize the 2nd album of the same name. This problem may be a bug in Roon library management.

Hi @TomJ,

We’d like to take a closer look at exactly what you’re seeing here. Would you mind sharing these tracks with us?

Ideally, you can zip up the entire folder and send me a private message containing a shared dropbox link. If you don’t have Dropbox or need another way to send the media, just let me know.

Thanks Dylan for your reply. Sorry I don’t have dropbox, would need an alternative. Do I understand correctly that you’d like me to send you all four audio files so you can recreate the use case on your system?
cheers, Tom

Hi @TomJ,

Yes, we are hoping to recreate this case on our system so we can better understand what you’re experiencing here. I sent you a PM with further instructions.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.