Problem connecting to ROCK with Roon remote

Did you read and did you understand my answer ?

Yes. A lot of people on the forum display no common sense whatsoever. They sign up and haven’t realised they need anything more than a phone, don’t understand what WiFi is etc etc. They moan when their underpowered Nas or desktop won’t run roon correctly.
Now adding change your router to a local DNS enabled one? Please.

Most home networks are provisioned by ISP-provided routers. The consumer has zero control over which router they get. Those of us who run our own routers and know how to configure them are a small minority. Just as an example, sometimes people buy their own routers, fo example because they want to have a mesh WiFi network, and find themselves struggling with simple things like router bridging. It’s absurd to propose a work-around for a rare IP multicast problem with Roon that would likely cause many other problems outside Roon.

1 Like
  1. The multicast problem is far from rare. 2. Simple connect by ip-address or hostname is not a workaround but a added way to connect. What was ment to work because you’re prompted for this (address or hostname) after the normal way of connecting fails. But it isn’t working on Android. About half the times you’re able to connect at once. All other times you struggling to connect in about 3-4 times starting and killing roon-remote. A far from elegant way. And for the rest I think it’s best to agree to disagree. Have a nice day.

To who this may concern. I’ve replaced my main switch with a far more heavier 24 ports Cisco Catalyst 2960LL. Not having many troubles connecting to the core since. Every connect on android is or instantly or after a short delay. It’s almost like a windows client over wifi. Very pleased with my purchase… :wink: . The previous setup was two Netgear GS108Ev3 with 1GB 2 vLAN’s uplink between them.

1 Like

Yeah, IGMP snooping on those messes up Roon device discovery in my experience.

In my previous setup IGMP-snooping was disabled for default vLAN where Roon Rock resides. Just getting rid of the uplink between de two seperate switches has changed this unreliable roon-remote connecting behaviour. There is something seriously wrong with roon-remote for android! But it’s a fine thing to be able to say that the problem is remarkably less severe when changing to a larger, more costlier switch. The €500 go very well with the, in most cases, crappy ISP provided internet router. :wink: And furthermore €500 is just a insignificant investment concerning the total costs of Roon. But it could easily be, a bit less pricier and even new 24-port switch would have done the job similarly. So I maybe could have saved €150-€250 there.

My ÂŁ12 8 port switches have no problems with Roon and Android.

The thing is I’m in need of 12 ports + 3x 1GB uplinks for central switch to other switches across the house. This to deliver 2 vLAN’s 1 for data (including wifi clients) 1 for iptv.

I wasn’t especially referencing your kit, more the Android not working. It works fine IF the network equipment adheres to standards and doesn’t try to get too clever. The stupider the better for switches and roon :slight_smile:

To be so utterly ‘non clever’ must simply be a delight. I wish I could be that way. :rofl: :joy: Unfortunatly I’m not. :unamused:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.