Problem making my iTunes library a Network Share

Hi. I have recently switched from Plex to Roon. With Plex I regularly lost connections to my Sonos system. That is not a problem with Roon, which I love so I am glad I made the switch. I bought a Nautilus and have made it my core. Now I am having a problem with network shares. I have made my backup iTunes library, which is on an external hard drive,into a Network Share. However, my main iTunes library - the one to which I regularly add new albums - needs to be a network share as well. I keep getting error messages when I try to make it one. For the life of me, I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. I assume it is something to do with permissions or other settings in Windows. The main library is located in the default location: C:\Users\Owner\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. The library on the external drive is connected to the same computer and, as said, I was able to make that a network share without any difficulty. I would welcome suggestions. I suspect the answer is obvious.

Apologies for my typos but I think the meaning is clear. Hope so anyway.

John

You can edit your posts by clicking on the pencil at bottom right corner. You might have to click on three dots first.

Thanks. I cleaned it up and tried to make the issue a bit clearer. I know others have had similar issues.

Hi John,

Take a read of this and it might help answer some questions.

2 Likes

Thanks. This solved my problem. I knew it would turn out to be something simple. I had the share permission set to read rather than read/write. I appreciate the help.

John

1 Like

Hi @John_Guttmann,

Thanks for letting us know the guide @Rugby linked helped resolve this issue!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.