Problem playing DSD files using Topping NX4 DAC with ipad

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC i5 with ROCK v 1.7 build 505

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ASUS RT AC5300 router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Apple iPad with Roon v1.7 build 505
Connected wirelessly

Topping NX4 DSD headphone amp/dac connected to iPad via micro usb to lightning adapter

Description Of Issue

Cannot play DSD files using DSD over PCM setting or initial DCS method. Only hear white noise and barely audible music if you turn the volume way up. Will only play DSD files using the Convert to PCM setting.

I can confirm that I can play DSD files correctly using another portable headphone DAC/amp (FiiO Q1 Mark II), so the problem only happens with the Topping DAC.

Any thoughts on why it doesn’t work or how to make it work? I could find nothing about the Topping DAC on the Roon community.

Thanks.

Go into audio settings
Disable iPad core audio
Enable topping DAC out then click on device set up
Change to DSD over pcm 1.0 in DSD playback strategy
Then shut down and restart roon
That did the trick for me and DSD playback issues I was having with my Topping d70 that was comn3cted to my MacBook Pro…

This solution does not work for me. When I disable iPad, there is no “Topping DAC” available to enable. Just to be clear, the solution that worked for you was on a Macbook Pro. I am having the problem with an iPad.

Thanks.

One more puzzling piece of information to add. The Topping DAC does work with DSD over PCM 1.0 on my iphone 10. It is still not working on the iPad Mini. I wonder if it has anything to do with differences between the iPad operating system vs. the iPhone operating system?

Hello @Luis_Puncel,

We do not have the Topping NX4 in-house as a part of our Roon Tested program, so I cannot state with complete certainty why this is occurring.

I did some research on the Topping NX4, apparently there are two different versions of the DAC. One version supports DSD playback, but can only be used with iOS devices using the Apple Camera Connection Kit. The other version supports iOS using the micro-USB connection, but is limited to 48kHz PCM playback.

-John

Hi Luis, i have a Topping NX4 DSD and i can surely play all kinds of DSD over it, when using my iPad 2018 as transport.
I’ll try it with my old iPad Air also!

I just tried my Topping NX4 DSD and all works fine (DSD256 and PCM768) with my iPad 2018 and iPhone X. However, i was unable to get any audio at all out of it from my iPad Air or my old iPhone 6S???

Mikael, thanks for your response! Can you tell me whether you connect the NX4 to the ipad with the Apple Camera Connection Kit or a generic (non-apple) micro usb to lightning adapter cable?

Thanks,

Luis

I use the original, but simple Apple Camera Connection Kit:

Thanks for the information, John. I will let you know whether using the Apple camera kit makes a difference. In order to do so, I need to first purchase a micro-usb to USB conversion cable, as the camera kit only take regular USB, not micro usb.

Luis

John,

I tried connecting the Topping NX4 to the iPad Mini using the Apple Connection Kit and I still have the same problem with playing DSD files. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Luis

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.