I would be willing to bet it’s the server laptop and not the network. That laptop is a few years old, uses a regular 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, 2.1GHz 4-core AMD processor, and can be a little sluggish at times when opening programs and such. However, when it’s just sitting there running Roon Core, it stays right around…
3% - 5% CPU usage
10% - 12% memory usage
2% - 3% HDD usage
It basically just sits there at idle and the CPU fan never comes on unless I get on there and do a Roon update or something.
I pretty much stripped it down to a basic Windows machine, removing any and all programs and apps that I could, as well as manually shutting down all updates and auto-reboots through settings, the registry and command prompt.
After all of that, I ran CCleaner twice, then did a disk cleanup twice, and lastly a defrag twice.
Doing all of that the first time around, I would find that the laptop would STILL DO updates and reboots on its own. After much more research and digging sitting here the past couple of weeks off work, I found a few more things to try (Microsoft is a real PITA when it comes to their auto updates and reboots). After doing this last batch of manual tweaks a couple days ago as well as applying that Quad9 DNS tweak, it seems to have solved the whole update/reboot nonsense.
But with that said, it still randomly stops playing every once in a while, though it doesn’t seem as often, but still often enough.
This morning, just a few minutes ago actually, I applied the Quad9 DNS tweak to the Asus router. Where I tried to apply it earlier (that I asked you about) was the wrong area on the router. While I was on there, I also did a firmware update on it.
As for Roon zones, this is the only one I have. And speaking of firmware updates, I just applied the latest RoPieeeXL update a few minutes ago as well.