Problem playing Qobuz content in Roon

So the entire system worked flawlessly all day yesterday, all night long, and all the way up to a couple of hours ago when stupid Windows 10 Home decided to once again reboot for no darn reason whatsoever.

I have researched and tried everything imaginable to keep Windows from doing this and to no avail.

If you research this issue online, there are literally thousands of people all over the world furious over this, and Microsoft will do NOTHING to help.

So at this point, Tidal is working fine, Qobuz is working fine, the NAS (library) is working fine, Roon is working fine, and stupid Windows is ruining it all.

As I mentioned earlier, I have tried everything to permanently disable automatic updates and automatic reboots/restarts , starting with all of the most basic and obvious settings within Windows, manually modified the Task Manager, manually modified the Registry, created new tasks, edited others, and eliminated others. No matter what I do, stupid Windows still reboots whenever the heck it wants. And I do mean whenever it wants. It can be 1 am, 4:30 pm, high noon, midnight, whenever.

There has got to be something that can be done about this whether it be another approach or hack, or some app or program. I donā€™t know, but this is killing me. And I know this has nothing to do with Roon, but just hoping that someone here will see this and have a possible solution.

If you do a Google search for these issues, Iā€™ve already tried them all. What I need is a Microsoft insider. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Post editedā€¦

And just like that, back to square oneā€¦

I just happen to be viewing Roon, track playing, it hesitates for a brief second, burps out a slight bit of sound, the screen blanks out and comes back instantly like it refreshed itself, and the music stopped.

Dammit!!!

Wow, not even 5 minutes later, on the next track, and it dies again.

Well, made a drastic moveā€¦

Swapped out the crap laptop for a big healthy tower gaming PC with a 3.4 GHz 6-core AMD processor, 8 GB of RAM, a stripped down 500 GB HDD, and Windows 10 Pro.

Did all of the same cleaning up as I did on the laptop, did all of the updates, turned off everything not needed, disabled updates and reboots, etc, etc.

All in all, itā€™s working great, a lot more responsive, and so far, rock solid stable.

The only thingā€¦ I can not figure out how to have this PC see my NAS so I can mount it and load it in Roon. Both laptops see my named network, though the PC only sees ā€œNetworkā€. After messing with it a couple hours, I gave up. Iā€™ll revisit it at a later date.

1 Like

So, in the end it was the crappy hardware you were using? Good to know.

The problem is rarely Roon. Otherwise, how do most customers use Roon with zero problems?

I had lots of problems trying to run Roon on a very powerful Windows 10 computer back in November. Bought a Nucleus on Black Thursday and have had zero problems since. Eight plus months and zero problems.

To be fare, itā€™s not really the laptop at fault as much as it is Microsoft and their Win 10 Home edition, and their total disregard for people wanting their computers to NOT do automatic updates and NOT do automatic reboots. No matter what settings you make or alterations you make to completely disable those auto features, the Home edition just ignores them and keeps doing what it wants to do.

Yes, the laptop is sluggish, but shouldnā€™t be considering the hardware. It has to do with that version of Windows and all of the bloatware built into it. Once that laptop is up and running and just sitting there at idle, itā€™s more than enough for running Roon Core.

At any rate, Iā€™m not counting my chickens before they hatch. Yes, Iā€™m now using a bigger, better, faster machine, and with the ā€œProā€ version of Win 10, but itā€™s STILL Microsoft. If this machine makes it a solid week without a hitch, then Iā€™ll be able to relax.

To be fare (sic), in spite of your frustrated first impressions, it wasnā€™t Roon either.

Sorry, thatā€™s just not the case. I run Win10 Home, as do many other people, without any troubles like you have experienced.

Go into Task Scheduler and delete the Microsoft tasks that are ā€˜pullingā€™ updates from Microsoft.

See if that makes a differenceā€¦

You know what?..

I had a big oleā€™ post all written up and ready to go, but then decided against it because Iā€™m better than that and youā€™re definitely NOT worth my time. Iā€™m not going to sit here and argue with someone who thinks they know what theyā€™re talking about, and Iā€™m sure as heck not going to explain myself to you.

There are a lot more pressing issues going on in this world to worry about and more important things for me to be doing than dealing with someone like you that obviously just wants to stir up trouble.

Bye.

Ok, still trying to suggest away to possibly stop WIN10 automatic updates.

Been there, done that. Re-read my posts above.

And it doesnā€™t matter since Iā€™m not using that laptop or OS now.

Didnā€™t see anything like that, but if thatā€™s being referred to in this post, then Ok. -

Youā€™re right about one thing. It isnā€™t worth any more time.

Says it right there in the post that you skipped over.

Okay, now Iā€™m done here in this thread.

OK, I stand corrected. There were so many long, rambling posts.

All these reboots canā€™t be because of Windows, unless it is crashing.

Now, Iā€™m done for good, again. :smirk:

Bottom line, the problem was not Roon, Tidal, or Qobuz. The problem was hardware or software related due to running Roon on a laptop running Windows 10 Home Edition. Problem seems to be resolved running Roon on a tower computer with Windows 10 Pro. Letā€™s hope all is good now. If not, I would suggest next step would be a NUC or Nucleus.

2 Likes

++++++1000 get a nucleus. Maybe a computer class if you are a true masochist. Just find a way to end this.

Hi @Charles_Tidwell,

Thanks for the update here! Yes, it does sound like the previous hardware you had in use was problematic, so having the new hardware working as expected is fantastic news!

You can mount NAS shares as network storage locations in Roon, please see:
Add Folders By Path Guide
+
NAS Storage Locations FAQ

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.