Problem setting up Bruston BDP pi

Core Machine
Windows 10 X64/System info/Roon 1.7 Build 511

Network Details
Computer with Roon installation connected via Wifi, Bryston Streamer via Ethernet. The router is from Shaw cable internet provider.

Audio Devices
Streamer connected to Space Tech Lab DAC via USB

Description Of Issue
Can’t set up the streamer following the instructions. In the Settings, Audio screen the device is not showing. Only this PC and installed output drivers on This PC. No networked devices. The Bryston is in Roon ready mode and has an IP address on the network.

Hello @Jakub_Kaiser,

Welcome to the forum! From your explanation of this issue, it is possible that a firewall may be blocking proper communication through Roon. Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that your network is set to Private by using these instructions.

Can you give that a try and let me know if it helps with finding your devices?

Thanks for your help. I followed the instructions but it didn’t help. I added the 2 exe files to exceptions in AVG even though they weren’t blocked anyways and checked that my network is private. Still the Settings - Audio prompt doesnt show the Bryston device.

Hi @Jakub_Kaiser,

Can you share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Audio tab? What is the exact model of the Bryston Streamer you have?

The Streamer is Bryston BDP Pi

Hi @Jakub_Kaiser,

Thanks for the screenshot. This does indeed look like some kind of firewall blocking access to your external networked zones.

You mentioned you tried adding exceptions to AVG, but is the behavior the same if you temporarily turn it off? AVG might have two different exceptions - one for excluding scanning and one for firewall exception.

I would also check that Roon/RAATServer has been added to the Windows Firewall as well, as I didn’t see you mention this, just the AVG aspect.

Yes it was the Windows Defender (Firewall). When I first checked the Windows Firewall it stated that it was disabled because of AVG took over this function.
As you recommended I now disabled AVG. The Windows firewall prompt came up stating that its blocking the RAATServer. I clicked enable and all was fine as you see by the screenshot. It seems that it was blocking it all the time even it was saying that the its disabled because of AVG. There is your Windows.
The only thing is that I lost almost a week from my trial period.

In any case thanks very much for your help.

Jakub

1 Like

Hi @Jakub_Kaiser,

Glad to hear the firewall setting has helped! I have followed up via private message regarding your trial.

Hi Noris,
The issue was actually caused by AVG. I was able to duplicate and solve this problem as per this thread: Roon blocked by AVG, please help.
The problem is that as you disable AVG the roon works but when you re enable AVG sometimes it keeps working sometimes it doesn’t. However when I changed the settings in AVG as per that post it consistently works now My apology to Windows. Got your private message.

Thanks,
Jakub

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.