Problem with 176.4kHz material

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win 10 64bit (running on SSD)/ i7 4770K CPU, 16GB RAM/ Roon 1.6 build 416

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ > Netgear GS605 Switch > Devolo Homeplug > Netgear GS608 Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Logitech Squeezebox Touch (with EDO) > [SPDIF COAXIAL] > Arcam irDAC

Description Of Issue

I’ve just recently discovered a problem whilst attempting to upsample to 176.4kHz. For the Squeezebox Touch system in the DSP settings, I set all files to upsample either to 176.4kHz or 192kHz in appropriate multiples. I attempted to play a 16/44.1 file and my DAC’s input signal light kept flicking on an off rapidly with broken sound. However I was able to play a 16/48 file (upsampling to 192kHz) with no problem. I experimented with changing the DSP setting to Max PCM rate (set for the SBT to 192kHZ) and it played a number of files of different sample rates upsampled to 192 with no problem.

Even though both support this sample rate, initially I thought this may be a problem with either the SBT, the DAC or a combination thereof. However I subsequently jumped onto the PC (running core) containing a Soundblaster ZXR soundcard (running with ASIO drivers) and experienced the same problem. The Roon software seemed to whizz through the selected album set to upsample to 176.4 without actually outputting anything. Again, it has no problem upsampling 48 or 96 kHz files to 192kHz.

Does not support 176.4:

• Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rSeries,USB-DAC,irdac.htm#techspecs

Hi, yes I was just about to write that I’d thought it was ‘up to 192kHz’ but the specs make no mention of 176.4kHz so it seems this sample rate is unsupported. However the ZXR specs state ‘up to 192kHz’ - although I’m wondering if that too just doesn’t support 176.4 :flushed:

Yeah, I don’t know why some DACs don’t support this multiple but there are a few of them that do not.

1 Like

I should have realised the problem wasn’t with Roon: it seemed illogical when 192 was working flawlessly. It’s just that I thought I’d played 176.4 material before, but just checking via Roon’s excellent ‘Focus’ feature, it seems that all my HiRes material over 96kHz is actually 192 :grin:

Hardly a deal-breaker for the irDAC given I got it used for pretty cheap. I am hankering after a DAC upgrade in the near future though :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.