Problem with audio cutting off

I am running Roon using USB directly from an iMac on Catalina operating system. I use a SonicTransporter as the Roon server. I have an iFi Microsoft DSD DAC connected to the computer by USB and then outputting to powered speakers. Ethernet is hardwired.

Periodically, I hear a loud pop and the audio stops. If I unplug the USB form the DAC and then plug it back in again, the audio comes back. However, after a little while the same thing happens. I have no idea whether it is the DAC or the software.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

@Jake_iFi perhaps?

1 Like

Hi @birnbaum,

Thanks for reaching out, I have a few questions to help clarify:

1. When this issue occurs, do you see any error messages displayed in Roon?
  2. Do other audio zones continue to work as expected when the issue occurs?
  3. Is the iFi the only zone which this behavior occurs on?
  4. How often does this behavior occur? Once a day? Once a week? More/less?

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

1. When this issue occurs, do you see any error messages displayed in Roon?
    No
  2. Do other audio zones continue to work as expected when the issue occurs?
    Yes
  3. Is the iFi the only zone which this behavior occurs on?
    Yes
  4. How often does this behavior occur? Once a day? Once a week? More/less?
    Very variable. Over the last few weeks week - really the duration of time it has started occurring -it has been every 15-30 mi, Earlier today I restarted everything, and now it has happened only once in the last couple hours.

I did also send a support request to Ifi, of course.

Hi @birnbaum,

Thanks for the additional info. Since this behavior only occurs on iFi, have you checked to make sure you’re using the latest firmware available for it? Also, does this behavior on the iFi occur outside of the Roon app, for example when using the TIDAL native app?

I don’t subscribe to Tidal.
FIrmware is a good question, and a real problem. I am unable to update the iFi firmware. I ha downloaded it and tried to open the installation program, but it repeatedly gives an error message that the “developer can’t be versified” and "“firmware upgrade failed”. iFi says turnoff other programs including roon and try and I have done this, but I still can’t open the Firmware update. I guess I need to be more persistent. Maybe I will try my laptop, unless you have suggestions?

Hi @birnbaum,

It sounds like this could be a firmware issue. Do try the other laptop and see if that works, otherwise I would advise you reach out directly to iFi support as they would be in the best position to address further from there.

Thanks much. I still can’t update the firmware and I am patiently waiting to hear back from iFi.

2 Likes

Hi @birnbaum

Thanks for opening a ticket with us, I will make sure you are seen to immediately.

Kind regards,
Jake

1 Like

Thanks so much. I was able to update the firmware following your guidance, and it appears to have solved the problem.

1 Like

That’s great news @birnbaum! Thanks to @Jake_iFi for jumping in on this thread as well!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.