Problem with AURALiC VEGA G2 new Autostandby function

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC i7 10th gen with ROCK

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear ORBI ax6000 to D-Link unmanaged switch to NUC. QNAP holds music files

Connected Audio Devices

AURALiC VEGA G2 connected directly to router by ethernet => TP-Link Fiber Media Converters => ethernet.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

With 880, AURALiC tells me ROON supplied some code to them that allows ROON to have some control in putting VEGA G2 to sleep and to wake up depending on music playing or not. I have the autostandby function set to “Never”, but it still wakes the VEGA G2 up. Discovered by playing music in another zone and having it play on VEGA. Can’t seem to turn this function off completely.

Reported to AURALiC as well:

1 Like

addendum:

I set an autostandby time of 30 sec. It does put the VEGA G2 into standby, but it still shows up as an available device in Roon. The power icon turns from blue to red, but the volume slider indicates active:

2021-12-21_11-19-23

I have the same/similar problem with my Auralic Altair. There seem to be randomly sent Standby commands sent to the Altair, resulting in switching off and on of the Altair. As the Altair outputs are directly connected to active speakers, there are now regularly switching impulses on the speakers, which are massive. Besides being annoying, this may really damage my speakers.

This only happened with the update to the latest Roon release.

I found no possibility to switch it off.

Altair connected via LAN to an Ubiquiti Switch 16 PoE, Roon Core running on NUC i7 directly connected to the same switch.

I need a quick solution for that.

Now this. Yay!!

What’s not working - I am trying to work with Auralic to resolve an issue that has come up with the recent firmware changes that try to institute Roon control over standby.

Overall, it works. However, it messes up using zone grouping. Prior to the changes, I grouped two zones. They would always play the same thing, but sometimes not both at the same time. It was great to click for the volume control popup and be able to control volume of both zones. Now, with grouping, if I play on one zone, it wakes up the other zone from standby and plays, even if I don’t want it playing on both.

OK, so I ungroup. Now, it is cumbersome to work with the zones having to change devices and make changes. Many clicks when it used to take one. And I can’t see the status of my zones at the same time in the volume popup.

So, is Roon involved with the coding for Auralic firmware in this case? I want to be proactive in solving this before the revising effort recedes. I am also working with an Auralic support ticket.

How often the issue occurs - All the time.

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build): NUC10 with ROCK and Roon server version 1.8 build 898.

Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build): Windows 10 with Roon 1.8 b.898 - also Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 running Android 10, 128GB. Roon version 1.8.880.

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured): Router is Netgear Orbi RBR850, wireless to PC and Auralic Polaris, wired to Auralic VEGA G2, and wireless to Android control tablet. NAS, and NUC/ROCK connect to router with Ethernet cable.

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library): QNAP TVS-872XT (i5 CPU) running QTS version 5.0.0.1891. Library is on the main NAS volume. 75,000 tracks.

Thanks for any help!

…Pete

This just sent in reply to Auralic support that suggests Roon made changes to zones that is casuing this. It doesn’t seem so to me:

None of the recent release notes, nor any discussion on their forum, has mentioned any changes to the zone functions. This is the result of the new implementation of device standby control by Roon. So their were likely changes in their software to facilitate that control, but that wouldn’t have anything to do with zones. This is an unintended consequence of that implementation.

My understanding is that Auralic made firmware changes that facilitated that Roon control as well. And that Roon had to supply code to Auralic in order to do so. What I don’t know is if a tweak like a switch to enable or disable the standby control would be instituted in Roon, in Auralic FW written changes, or Roon code implemented by Auralic.

2022-02-04 - AURALiC has said it is ROON functionality and their newer FW is working as designed. Still waiting for some help.

Roon Core Machine

NUC i7 (10th gen) with ROCK

Router is Netgear R8500, wireless to Auralic ARIES Mini, ethernet to Auralic VEGA G2, and wireless to the control tablet. NAS (with library) connected to router with ethernet cable.

Connected Audio Devices

Auralic ARIES Mini via wifi, Auralic VEGA G2 by ethernet cable

Library is on the main NAS volume. Qobuz and Tidal are active. 76K tracks.

Description of Issue

This issue appeared with the auto standby function was introduced a year or so ago. I struggled with it for a time and it mysteriously stopped acting up and got out of the way. I did not receive any Roon support*. Auralic say they just implement code provided by Roon and won’t help. I don’t know if it stopped due to something I did and I don’t know why the behavior started again recently.

*Previous, unanswered, requests:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-auralic-standby-interaction/187371

I don’t want this function at all and wish there were a setting to turn it off completely. The most obvious symptom is waking up the VEGA when I play on the Mini. They are the two devices in a grouped zone.

I turn off the VEGA, music stops then, when started again, the VEGA wakes up. I set the auto standby to “never” or to “30 sec” - makes no difference. I put the VEGA in standby with the unit’s knob or turn it off with the power icon in Roon’s volume controls - behaves the same either way.

I assume this only happens when devices are grouped. That is how I run these two. Sometimes play one, sometimes the other, sometimes both.

Seems to be behaving again. For now…

1 Like

This is a repeat of a previous request that was closed when I prematurely posted that the behavior stopped. It has not. The mod has not responded to my request to reopen that thread. The problem comes and goes unpredictably. Probably wouldn’t be unpredictable if I knew exactly what what happening.

I just wish there was an option to turn off the autostandby/autowake functions completely.

Roon Core Machine

NUC i7 (10th gen) with ROCK

Router is Netgear R8500, wireless to Auralic ARIES Mini, ethernet to Auralic VEGA G2, and wireless to the control tablet. NAS (with library) connected to router with ethernet cable.

Connected Audio Devices

Auralic ARIES Mini via wifi, Auralic VEGA G2 by ethernet cable

Library is on the main NAS volume. Qobuz and Tidal are active. 76K tracks.

Description of Issue

This issue appeared with the auto standby function was introduced a year or so ago. I struggled with it for a time and it mysteriously stopped acting up and got out of the way. I did not receive any Roon support*. Auralic say they just implement code provided by Roon and won’t help. I don’t know if it stopped due to something I did and I don’t know why the behavior started again recently.

*Previous, unanswered, requests:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-auralic-standby-interaction/187371

I don’t want this function at all and wish there were a setting to turn it off completely. The most obvious symptom is waking up the VEGA when I play on the Mini. They are the two devices in a grouped zone.

I turn off the VEGA, music stops then, when started again, the VEGA wakes up. I set the auto standby to “never” or to “30 sec” - makes no difference. I put the VEGA in standby with the unit’s knob or turn it off with the power icon in Roon’s volume controls - behaves the same either way.

I assume this only happens when devices are grouped. That is how I run these two. Sometimes play one, sometimes the other, sometimes both. But want them in the same zone so they are in sync when both played.

Not sure who you messaged, I have not seen the request however, topic reopened and posts merged.

Tagging @support for you.

Hi Carl,

It was this one:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/auto-standby-goes-rogue/245818

I messaged the mod who closed it.

That topic was automatically closed by the system when you make it a solved, not by a mod.
What I was looking for was who you asked to reopen it, as I’d not seen that request.
I’m was just curious as to whom and when the request was sent.

PS I’ve also merged in that topic to here now as well … again so all the history is in one place.

Thanks again for merging.

I didn’t realize it was automatic. It was Beka that I messaged. It shows that she marked it as solved:

2023-08-06_14-04-13

Is beka a bot? :slightly_smiling_face:

No, she works in Roon’s account team
Messaging @beka directly, I see and that explains why the mods did not see your request.

Let’s hope Roon’s @support team can now offer further advice.

1 Like

Yes, me too! Thanks

Hi @pstrisik ,

This is expected behavior for grouped zones that support standby commands, not just for Auralic. If you start playback to a group, then all the devices are turned on/start playback. To avoid this behavior, you must ungroup the devices before starting playback.

I would suggest filing a feature request regarding this with Auralic. It sounds like you are requesting a full power-off mode for the Auralic that ignores playback commands, instead of a standby mode that can be worked up with playback initiating.

Thanks for replying,

A full power off mode does exist on the Auralic, at least via the power switch. But it is all inconvenient. I have two systems in adjacent rooms. One is my office. I am in and out, sometimes playing in the office, sometimes both, sometimes the living room. Grouping and ungrouping multiple times per day or powering up the Auralic manually instead of with the programmed remote and waiting about three times as long for it to boot up. If I ungroup and play both, they are out of sync.

I’ve already asked at Auralic. This is about a year ago when it started. Xuanqian stated that they implement the code from Roon and don’t modify it. He referred me back to Roon.

It seems that an “off” switch would be an easy fix. Even if I am an edge case, flexibility is a feature!

Thanks……Pete

BTW, this problem I suffer every day for years with no help: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/unstable-use-of-the-pages-within-the-now-playing-screen-ticket-in/191488/20

I would love to resolve it. Seems ipads had the problem of extremely sensitive horizontal paging and it was addressed recently. I have the same, if not similar issue on Android. Changed the tablet, core moved to a NUC, new NAS, but no change.

@noris

Another issue with this function: If the VEGA was put into standby when using another input (eg, was watching tv and the coax input was the last before standby), Roon wakes it up but it is not set to the input to play music anyway.

Again, a way to disable this function is needed.

Yet another I just ran into. Roon turned on the VEGA. Its screen blanks when not in use. I go to turn on the main system with universal remote and it turns off the VEGA. So I either have to turn it off first, then use the remote. Or use the remote to turn the system on (which turns off the VEGA), then turn the VEGA back on separately. All needless, IMO.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.