Problem with Bluesound and Roon - NAD390DD with internal module [Fix coming from Bluesound]

Hi, I have a NAD 390DD with the Bluesound internal Module, I also have a Bluseound Node.

I am testing them with Roon and have hit a problem with the 390DD.

Roon can see both my Node and the 390DD and it will play to the Node however although when I use Roon to play to the NAD 390DD there is no sound even though the NAD display says it is playing.

The NAD 390DD works correctly when I control it directly from the Bluos application.

@support Any ideas for debugging this?

Roon Core is running on my Mac 5k I am running the control on win10 PCs and my android phone, however, I don’t think this is related to the problem as It does not work even from core either.

Anyone ( @support )got any idea on this please? I am happy to do more investigation but I don’t know where to start?

Hi @wytco0 — Thank you for the report and my apologies for the slow response here. May I kindly ask you for the following:

  1. Please describe your network configuration / topology as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup. I want to get an idea of how your devices are communicating and what tools are being used to make those connections possible.

  2. Please verify that you are running the latest bluesound firmware version (at least 2.10).

  3. Have you tried power cycling your equipment yet? If so were there any changes in behavior?


Hi Eric, thanks for your reply, my answers are below:

  1. Network connection for all bluesound devices and the Mac with core on are wired via Mikrotik router, and BT modem., this has been stable and unchanged for some time.

  2. all are on 2.10 (I notice there is now an update which I will apply)

  3. Yes, all power cycled, I also reset the Bluesound module in the NAD390DD but this didn’t make any difference.


@support did you see my reply? what next?

Hi @wytco0 ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are very appreciated! Moving forward I would like to grab some logs from you so we can take a closer look into what may be causing this issue to occur.

Can you please reproduce this behavior, zip up two folders of logs for me, and upload them to Dropbox (or similar)? You can just post the links in this thread.

The two folders I need are:

If you can zip those up and send me a Dropbox link, we’ll look into this. Alternatively, if you don’t have Dropbox, let us know and someone from @support will send you information about uploading the logs directly to us.


Hi Eric, I just setup everything to do these test and send the logs and to the NAD played perfectly.

Two things changed since yesterday:

  1. The software updated
  2. I discovered that my Mac running core was actually using a wifi connection (on the same subnet) and not using the wired connection, I switched it to wired.

So at the moment, my system is working.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Hi @wytco0 ----- Thank you for the update and sharing this feedback with me! Touching base to see how things are holding up. Looking forward to hear from you.


Sorry for the delay, well mixed so far I love the interface etc but at the moment I am still having problems with my player the main one is that they are not in sync when I group them or possibly they drift out of sync.

Also sometimes I am getting digital distortion but I have not been able to work out what trigger it, for example, distorted sound and an effect similar to an LP jumping a track.

Hi @wytco0 ---- No worries at all :wink: thank you for following up with me. I wanted to give you the heads up that as mentioned here some fixes are coming in a updated from Bluesound.

I would recommend waiting for the update to go live and if this issue is still present, flag support (@support) down and we can take a deeper look if this isn’t resolved.