Problem with DSD playback on Cocktail Audio X35

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TVS-471 Version 1.7 (build 537) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

QNAP TVS-471 > Cocktail Audio X35

Description Of Issue

I have tried both DSD output settings “Native” or “DoP” on X35 with the latest firmware, all DSD files still convert to PCM

Could anyone help on this issue? Thanks in advance!

Geoff

Hi @Geoff_Ng1,

Welcome to the forum!
Is there any change in behavior if you reboot your QNAP Core and X35?
What is your network setup like (including router model/manufacturer)?
Are both the QNAP and the X35 connected directly to the router?

Thanks for @noris reply!

My network is as follow:

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

QNAP TVS-471 > DrayTek Vigor2925 > DrayTek VigorAP903 > Cocktail Audio X35

I have rebooted X35 several times but DSD still convert to PCM (I couldn’t found a way to reboot Roon Core without rebooting the QNAP). So I have tried a little experiment with Chord Mojo connected to X35 via DoP as below:

QNAP TVS-471 > DrayTek Vigor2925 > DrayTek VigorAP903 > Cocktail Audio X35 > Chord Mojo

Which is playing DSD without converting to PCM :face_with_monocle:. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Have you tried asking Cocktail Audio whether DSD is supported via Roon? I don’t own any products from them, but in my experience format support across different inputs can be highly variable, often without apparent reason. For example, the Oppo Blu-ray players (105D, 203, 205) could accept only stereo DSD audio via USB, even though they had a multichannel DAC, and happily played multichannel SACDs.

Given your success with the Chord DAC, you understand how to configure Roon. Therefore my next conjecture is that the X35 is telling Roon that it doesn’t play DSD…

Good luck!

Thanks for your info! Since X35 listed as Roon Ready, I expect more :laughing:; furthermore, Roon’s supports on Roon Ready hardware will affect my decision on subscriptions as well :money_mouth_face:

Geoff -
There was much wailing and bashing of teeth when the Oppo 203/205 became Roon-ready with similar limitations. Having already learnt my lesson the hard way, I read carefully and fortunately discovered the limitations before making a purchase, and held off. There were rumors of a possible future fix; then Oppo pulled the plug on Blu-ray players. It’s a safe bet that I won’t be upgrading…

Roon Labs clarified that Roon-ready labeling doesn’t necessarily imply support for every format the device can play through other inputs. Unfortunate, yes, but I can also understand their position: once you go past stereo 44.1/16, or perhaps stereo 48/24, many of the common platforms seem to have a number of quirks about which formats they can and cannot play through various inputs. Sigh. Argh. If it makes you feel better, I can assure you that having a PhD in Computer Science doesn’t help in understanding why these oddities exist, other than that there’s some technical glitch somewhere for which the fix is perceived to be too expensive for a niche market.

I might well be wrong, but this is my experience. Perhaps Cocktail Audio can help; reaching out to them can’t hurt.

Good luck and best wishes!

Hi @Geoff_Ng1,

For the X35, you might have to configure the DSD playback strategy on the device itself.
I would also make sure that the Digital Out is set to fixed (on the device menu iself):
Settings -> Audio -> Digital Out Volume -> Fixed
Does that help?

Hi @noris! Sorry to report that changing to Digital Out Volume Fixed didn’t help.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.