Problem with NAIM Muso coming on at full volume when using airplay

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac IOS
Roon 1.6 Build 475

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Macbook Retina
Virgin Media Modem
Asus AC68 Router
Netgear Switch
Qnap 453DX NAS (Roon Core)
Everything on ethernet, apart from Macbook

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Muso Gen 1 (Ethernet)
Naim Muso QB Gen 2 (Wifi)

Description Of Issue

When activating the Musos through Roon, using Airplay, the Musos come on at full driver damaging volume.

Naim have noted this issue is with Roon and not them, however they have offered that if you get in touch with them, they can work with you to find a solution.

1 Like

<>

A thorough discussion of the issues are in this thread.

This isnt practical, but sure, it is a temporary fix to ensure no damage is caused to the drivers.

I have to set it low enough so that it dosen’t come on loud, then have to go into the NAIM app to go louder, when the volume control in ROON works fine. There is no NAIM app for a Macbook for example, where I operate Roon from normally.

It’s quite silly for what is effectively £3k’s worth of hardware and software.

I’d prefer it just gets fixed, it isn’t anything complicated I’m told.

Fixed volume doesn’t reliably work with Naim Muso generation 1 / Airplay. I know from experience. :grimacing: :face_with_head_bandage: and am not alone. Wish it worked!

1 Like

Have you thought about using another Roon endpoint that plugs into the Naim via USB or Optical? Something like: https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html

Plug the Ethernet into it, and then usb to the Naim. Roon sees it as a Roon endpoint.

Yes thats a fair point and I appreciate the suggestion, but Im not too interested in paying $250 to make the $1500 Muso work like it did before Room/Naim broke it :slight_smile:

Plus, I have one box solutions for a reason…one box.

Just waiting to get some support on this from Roon support, I figured this is how the support tickets work?

1 Like

To be honest Naims track record of late has not been great. With each firmware upgrade they break something. I had my Uniti Atom go to 100% after the last firmware upgrade. I could see the volume rising all on it’s own. Not the only one to. So I would say from evidence this is a Naim issue.

Hello @Mikey/@ToneDeaf/@CrystalGipsy,

We have been working with Naim on this issue and Steve Harris (Naim Software Director) recently posted an update on Community here:

Steve is able to provide next steps to anyone impacted by this issue, so if you’re having this problem please reach out to Steve directly.

We appreciate everyone’s patience as we worked with Naim to resolve this matter!

1 Like