Problem with Nucleus and RoPieee

ok. I’ve pushed out a small update just now, so your unit could mention that it in the web interface.

Next time it falls off the grid please leave it on. Immediately after it comes back (hopefully) send me feedback without rebooting.

OK, thanks Harry. It has never come back on its own, but I will just leave it on next time and see if it comes back. Really appreciate your help on this.

Harry - sorry if I’m confused here. I see the new update, and I did hit update, but have not rebooted it yet for the update to take place. If I understand your instructions, I should reboot to let the update come through, but after that, if it goes offline again, don’t reboot, wait for it to come back on its own (hopefully) and then do the feedback. Do I have that right?

Yes, that’s the way.

Harry - rebooted this morning for the update 2.428 to install. No issues. Turned the music on in that zone, and left to run some errands. When I cam back, Roon indicated it had stopped a couple of hours ago. I simply hit the play button and it started back up, so I assume the Allo dropped out and then came back. In any event, I sent feedback.

860f9ecefe81f2e2

Hope that helps. If there is anything I can do to help diagnose this, just let me know. Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Hi @FastHound,

I found something. In your RAAT logs is shows that at some time in this session the connection with the Roon server times out. That results in a stop when playing audio. When you hit the play button again it starts setting up a new connection.

I’ve looked in the logs if I could find something that could create this timeout on your unit, but I can’t. That doesn’t mean that is not there, but I suggest you also investigate the rest of your infrastructure (specifically the server) if you can find something over there.

This could also be the time to call in the Roon troops: they can have a look in your server logs and see if such a timeout event is also registered server side and might provide more info.

I can imagine this is frustrating as this is not a clear solution, but at least we have a lead.

Thanks

@spockfish - Thanks Harry. At least that’s progress!

@support - care to jump in and take a look at the logs for the Nucleus+ and see if there’s anything to explain this. Suggest you start at the top of this thread to see the issues. Thank you! Let me know how to help.

Hi @FastHound,

Can we start off with some details of your setup here to better understand the networking chain? I take it that your Core is a Nucleus+ as per your latest comment, but what is your router model/manufacturer? Are you using any switches, range extenders or Powerline adapters in this setup?

Hi. You helped me recently with a Sonos issue. Thanks again.

This is a different issue. Netgear R6400 with latest firmware. Ethernet from Nucleus+ to router, then Ethernet to Allo USBridge. The thread explains the issue…random, of course.

1 Like

Hi @FastHound,

Happy to help with the other issue :slight_smile:

As for this one in particular, I looked over the thread and I don’t see a mention of what you have connected after the USBridge, what kind of DAC are you using?

Is the behavior the same if you temporarily connect the DAC directly to the Nucleus, bypassing the USBridge?

DAC is a Denafrips Ares II. The Nucleus is across the room from the DAC. Does the Nucleus have audio USB out since that what I use to connect to the DAC? And I actually don’t have room on my equipment rack for the Nucleus+

Hello @FastHound,

Yes, the Nucleus does indeed support USB audio. Since you are already using your DAC with Ropieee (which is Linux-based), it should work with Nucleus as well.

Can you please try bypassing the Allo USBridge as a test? It doesn’t have to be a permanent setup, but it will help us understand if the issue is the USBridge or the DAC itself.

It’s a major hassle to move my equipment around, even temporarily. Have we totally ruled out the Roon Nucleus as the problem? If not, then let’s address that first, please. I’d have to pull my rack out, move several pieces of gear around to make room for the nucleus and lots of wiring to shift around. And it would mean not being able to use my turntable as well. Not something I want to do if we haven’t eliminated other possibilities, please.

Hi @FastHound,

Sure, we can take a look at this by running the following tests:

• The Nucleus has an HDMI port which should be visible in your Roon Settings -> Audio tab. If you enable this zone and play music to it, you should notice any stoppages that occur in the Roon app, even if you don’t have anything connected to the HDMI port itself, it would tell us if this issue occurs on multiple zones.

• Do you by any chance have another PC around the house which you can install Roon or Roon Bridge on? If you do - you could bypass the RoPieee and connect your DAC without making any changes to the physical configuration, it would essentially be acting as the Ropieee and facilitate the Nucleus -> DAC connection.

Hi. Problem hasn’t repeated itself in a couple of days. Will keep an eye on it, and if it happens again, will try a different OS on the Allo USBridge as first check since won’t require me moving any equipment or bypassing the Allo. Could be software related, could be router related as well.

But all fine for now. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.