Problem with playback from Nucleus

Hi - after several months of trouble free playing, I’ve started having problems with playback via my Nucleus in the past few days - this happens on all endpoints (a Schiit Yggdrasil connected directly to the Nucleus via USB to M2Tech HiFace; other ethernet to a NAD M17 processor; over ethernet to an Innuos Zen Mini Mk2) - essentially, Roon will play normally for a while but then within a few hours when selecting a new song, artist, album etc it will not play that track but skips through all the subsequent tracks (without playing any of them) to the end of the album and then stops. It does this when served from a NAS and also on Tidal. When I turn off the the Nucleus and restart that fixes the problem temporarily, but then it always returns within a few hours of normal use. Please advise…thanks!

Hi @Guy_Woodward,

So we can better assist you, please describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Can you verify how many tracks are in your library?

Do you receive any errors when this occurs?

If you switch to a different endpoint when Roon is in this state does that exhibit the same behavior?

Hi Dylan,
Everything is hardwired via CAT cables - no wireless is being used. The router is a Sky hub, the music servers are a WD NAS and an Aurender X100l hdd. The endpoints are as detailed in my last mail - I’ve since checked these and the only problem occurs via the one route - via he M2Tech HiFace usb-spdi convertor into my Schiit Yggdrasil DAC. The other endpoints do not seem to be affected by this glitch after all - this includes a NAD M17 processor, an Innuos Zen Mini Mk2 plus MacBook and iOS endpoints. I have about 25k tracks and close to 1tb of stored music as ripped ads (plus a few hi-res) - mostly as FLAC but some as ALAC.

When I switched to using my MacBook as a core instead of Nucleus it seems the problem is resolved - so it lies with the Nucleus. Given it only occurs through the one endpoint it seems to be related to the usb output and/or how it interfaces with the usb-spdif convertor. I have used that without problems for some time and also on my Innuos with no problems until recently. It is made by Metrum - the same manufacturer as those who make the new Metrum Ambre dedicated Roon endpoint - but it does not appear as a specific device on the pulldown menus when searching for it. So it seems to me it must be a problem with the usb interface (and/or a bug associated with that component). Please advise,
Best wishes,
Guy

Hello @Guy_Woodward,

Just to verify, is this the converter you are referring to?

Are you able to connect to this device in a different way from the Nucleus? Does the same behavior occur if you do?

did this ever get resolved? i am using that converter out my dying mac mini to connect to spdif on my DAC. i’m thinking to buy a roon nucleus and was wondering about the compatibility…