Problem with using Qobuz under Roon: Playback interrupted because a track failed to load

Hi. Same problem from Spain using qobuz.

1 Like

reinstalled version 1.7, still didn’t work. Removed from my old Mac and set up a new core on a MacBook Air running Monterey and now works fine. Moral of the story, don’t update as the money grabbing tech companies use it as a mechanism to create obsolescence and force more cash outlay.

1 Like

You’re right, I was focusing on the wrong IP. I saw qobuz.com in the DNS answer and followed that by mistake.

When I followed the correct stream, I saw a very similar cipher suite offer by my client (it’s identical to the one in the first image I shared that has the client Hello). But, there is no Server Hello. The server goes right to “Close Notify” and sends a FIN/ACK terminating the TCP Session.

Unfortunately it appears as if Server 2012R2 does not have the appropriate cipher suite support to establish a TLS/SSL session to Qobuz’s cloud infrastructure that is hosted on Amazon’s Cloudfront. I’m also 99% certain that Server 2012 (not R2), Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 - will not support Roon’s Qobuz integration.

In summary, it appears that Qobuz on Roon will not work (out of the box) with the following operating systems:

• Windows Server 2012 R2
  • Windows Server 2012 (not R2)
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 7
  • Don’t even ask about XP

Since Roon is using the Operating System’s ciphers through WinHTTP API calls, it is at the mercy of what the Operating System has installed. Despite the article I pointed to that shows Windows Update adding new ciphers, the correct mix of Key Exchange, Authentication, Cipher and Hash are not supported out-of-the-box that would allow Roon to communicate with Qobuz’s online streaming servers. The OS does support those individual Ciphers/Hashes, but the right combination must be supported in order and that does not appear to be the “out of box” configuration. There may be a way to change this either through Group Policy or Registry settings however I do not know the answer at this time.

Those who went to sites like Qualys’ SSL Labs (https://www.ssllabs.com/) to examine their Web Browser’s supported cipher suites should know that what they see is not the cipher suite that the OS has built-in. What they’re seeing is the cipher suite that the Web Browser has built-in. Google Chrome and Firefox use their own SSL/TLS Cipher Suites as they have their own SSL/TLS implementation. This ensures that insecure algorithms are not used and allows older Operating Systems to be used past their end of life. YMMV on MACOS and Linux.

I’ll continue researching what I can and will post back here. In the meantime, I’ll be installing ROCK on a spare NUC.

Additional Information For Those Interested In Researching Further:

This more specifically lays out cipher suites supported by Windows 8.1 and Server 2012R2:

This lays out the ciphers that Windows Update added:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-adds-new-tls-cipher-suites-and-changes-cipher-suite-priorities-in-windows-8-1-and-windows-server-2012-r2-8e395e43-c8ef-27d8-b60c-0fc57d526d94

This explains cipher suites:

2 Likes

@Steven_Marshall - What was the older version of MacOS you were running where Roon wouldn’t stream Qobuz ?

Yosemite 10.10.5, worked perfectly until Roon told us all to upgrade to release 1.8 which had the TLS 1.2 handshake and there is no way to upgrade 10.10.5 to the TLS 1.2

I migrated my Roon Core from Win7 to a Linux VM running on the same Win7 Host. No issue so far. Qobuz is playing fine.

I’m also running MacOS 10.10.5 (Yosemite) and downloaded Monterey but haven’t installed it yet. As far as I can tell the only way to get from MacOS Yosemite to Monterey is to do a new installation which will mean setting up applications, etc. all over again. Not happy about this.

I did give a try to enabling the TLS 1.2 client proto on my Windows 7 machine, but it didn’t fix the issue. Puts a damper on my Qobuz trial unless I find another place to run it I guess.

Aa fascinating as all the techy packets, pings and Cipers talk is :yum:

Presumably there are now a lot of Qobuz Via roon users (like me) for whom it hasn’t worked in almost a week.

In layman’s terms, for Qobuz usage what are the min specs for Roon Core. Win10 I’m presuming? And the endpoint thingy, I presume it’ll be immune to this problem as long as the core is working…?

In the end, where is the problem, what can we do if we want QOBUZ via ROON?

Not being a cypher packet ping man myself, the only way I could get the blooming thing to work was set it up on an new computer. Basically, I believe the recent upgrade rendered the previous way that these packets cyphers and pings talked with each other between Qobuz and Roon unable to talk to each other on older machines (like mine), which can no longer be upgraded to speak new ping, cypher or packet. then you have to work out if you can teach it a new language or get different kit…even though your old machine might be rock solid

1 Like

Hi all, we’ve been in touch with the Qobuz team and they just rolled out an update that should resolve this – can you all try again and let me know if it’s working?

1 Like

Yes! It does seem to be working initially for me, I queued a track and it played. Hope it sticks, hope others have success. Thanks for providing the solution! Core running on Windows 7.

1 Like

Yesss, it works here in France.
Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Do we need to restart Qobuz?

Nope, just try playing some Qobuz content in Roon.

no, it works well now

It’s working for me now!! Yay!

Unfortunately I have already built out a ROCK server. Now I’m wondering if that’s a better solution than running Roon Server on Windows Server 2012 R2

1 Like

Definitely give ROCK a spin, I think you’ll really love it. :slight_smile: Regardless, glad you’re up and running! And thanks so much for the Wireshark sleuthing yesterday, it was a big help.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Losing output Computer Audio Design CAT WASAPI