Problemo: Duplicate music folders in Storage section in settings

After a bit of confusion on my part reinstalling Roonserver after SSD upgrade on my server I have duplicate music folders.

i.e.
M:\Music
and
m:\music

Exactly the same folder, same tracks etc, but Roon is seeing it as two seperate folders.
I have over 4500 duplicate albums now!

If I disable either of the locations duplicate albums are gone, but my playlists are broken, with tracks showing “unavailable”.
Im guessing playlists I created with “M” are unavailable when my music folder is “m”, and vice versa.

Frustrating problem, and the last thing Inwant to do is disable one of the locations and manually recreate my playlists, will take forever.

Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Anyone?
Thanks.

Hi @Gaz_Jam ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the slow response. To help me accurately asses the issue here I’d like to gather the following information from you.

1. Please describe, in detail, your current setup. The more information I have the better :slight_smile:

2. Do both of these “music” folders on the “M:” drive share the same file paths?

3. Can you provide any feedback about the re-install process you went through? I know you had mentioned there being a bit of “confusion”. Just want to determine if that has anything to do with these duplicate albums.

Thanks!
-Eric

Thanks Eric, apologies for the late reply!

MY SETUP

• Logitech Transporter as endpoint
  • i7 /SSD/16GB ram Windows PC running Server 2012R2 with Roonserver installed.
  • Core: Running Roon 1.2 (Build 157) stable (64bit) / Ipad remote (same version)
  • Music stored on PC hard drive folder “M:\Music”
  • All ethernet connected: PC>Router>Access point>Transporter
  • Large music library: Approx 69000 tracks

THE ISSUE

• Duplicate Storage locations, only difference is one listed Uppercase.
    The other lowercase: i.e. M:\Music and m:\music

Have a lot of playlists set up, some seem tied to “lowercase location” some to uppercase.
If I delete one of the storage locations and rescan a lot of my playlists have Unavailable Tracks as the storage location is no longer registered with Roon.

So need to keep both upper and lowercase locations set so I can access my Playlists.
BUT this leads to duplicate albums…even with duplicates set to be hidden!

MY REINSTALL PROCESS
Literally uninstalled Roonserver from the PC and Control app from my Ipad.
Then reinstalled both.

The file locations were stored in my Roon Profile so the same problem remained as before, even after a reinstall.

Any help appreciated, thank you. :slight_smile:

Hi @Gaz_Jam ----- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback, both are appreciated. I would like you to try a very small test for me to see if we can try to trigger a change in behavior here. Please see below. Thanks!

1. Close roon and using the instructions found here, please make a backup of your database.

2. Re-open the app and remove both “M:” folders from roon, then close the application again.

3. Re-open the application one more time and re-add only one of the “M:” folders.

Thanks!
-Eric

Thanks
I’ll try that today let you k iw how it goes.

Did as you suggested…disabled both locations then enabled the M:\Music one (Caps)
Is there a way to REMOVE the file location from settings rather than disable?

In Settings/Storage my Ipad remote quickly found all tracks but weirdly started counting down the number of tracks imported?!
Is this expected behavior?

Still “counting down” and a lot of playlist tracks are “unavailable” still.
Wait and see what happens when settings/Storage stops countdown of imported tracks.

EDIT
Now Roon is saying “We didn’t find any genres in your library” and Discover wasn’t discovering… :frowning:
Lifes too short guys, will delete my Roon library, reinstall everything and rescan from scratch.

Not a drama, thanks for the help.
Hopefully a clean reset will shake out the Gremlins!

Hi @Gaz_Jam ---- My apologies for the slow response and the trouble here. I wanted to touch base and see how things have held up since you decided to reinstall and rescan from scratch. Have the gremlins vacated?

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Yup, gremlins all gone.
One file location now, No duplicate albums all as should be.

Have all my local playlists still so not all bad.
Will recreate my Roon ones. Not a problem.

Think I confused Roon by my shenanigans, working an absolute treat now. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the good level of support, inspires confidence moving forward!

2 Likes

Hi @Gaz_Jam ---- Thank you for the follow up and glad to hear that the gremlins have vacated :sunglasses: Happy listening!

-Eric