Problems Editing Genres

Hi Egbert,

Make sure that when you type Pop/Rock in the Remove field, you click Enter or Return. Then you should see Pop/Rock in pink, showing it will be removed. Then click the Save button.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

@Greg
I’ll give it another whirl.

Maybe I’m impatient.
I did 5 runs of 600-ish edits. In the background you can see the progress indicator revolving happily, one by one the album covers disappear, the counter diminishes steadily, and stops at 2077. So out of 3.147 edits, a good 1.000 actually get done. Hmmm. It’s progress.
Addition:
did another select of some 850, repeat. No result, counter stays at 2.077. So, back to the basic selection (album), then focus. Same number, 2.077. Do another run of 650-ish, counter stops at 2.071. So it’s down, but not by much.
I’ll first do a force rescan, see what gives.
Addition:
did a rescan, album, focus / Pop/Rock, 2.077 hits. Selected some 650, mass-edit. Progress indicator twirling happily. No album art disappearing, no diminishing numbers, still at 2.070

Picked up where I left off. 2.625 albums containing ‘pop/rock’. Select 660 (artist range P through T). After the indicator stops spinning and changes are saved I should be well below 2.000, right? Wrong. 2.556. That is an average of 1 in 10. And no clue yet which ones will get selected.

Hey Egbert,

I think it probably worked the way you want. Can you run the Focus again and check some of the albums and see if Pop/Rock has been removed?

When you do a Focus on a Top-Level Genre like a Pop/Rock, the results will include all Sub Genres of Pop/Rock as well. So, if you have an album with just Prog-Rock, for example, it will show when you Focus on Pop/Rock.

Cheers, Greg

@Greg; looks like you could be right. pop/rock as such is gone, the album may now still have ‘adult pop/rock’ or ‘contemporary pop/rock’ as genre.

@Greg; What exactly is it that gets selected when I specify ‘Pop/Rock’?

Does it confine itself to exactly ‘pop/rock’ as a string, or does it include anything with either the word ‘pop’ or ‘rock’ in it?
In general this what the focus looks like:

Now for example, this is what the selection for pop/rock shows (note the 1.846):

and this is what part of that selection actuallly contains (no string pop/rock):

Now if anything containing either pop or rock would show up I would expect to see more than just 1.846 (note the 1.552 for pop alone; there’s another 3.000 for rock)

Hi Egbert,

If you Focus on Pop/Rock, whether through the Genres Browser, or selecting Focus in the Album Browser, it will show all Sub Genres of Pop/Rock.

Even if you have removed Pop/Rock from all your albums, there will most likely be a large number of albums show up when you select Pop/Rock.

In my Album Browser, I Select Focus and Genre. When I select Pop/Rock and click the down arrow, I see the Sub Genres.

In the Genres Browser, you can see the Sub Genres can be found here:

So, when you Focus on Pop/Rock, it will include all albums in these Sub Genres.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Greg

1 Like

Ok, get it.

Never ending story, this.
Watch carefully, you’ll see I have the Genre ‘Religious’ set to Hidden, and still, what is in my overview of main genre?

The current Focus seems to be an ‘OR’ function. Like give me anything that’s Blues, or Rock, or Punk, thereby enlarging the selection.
How can I make this an ‘AND’ function? As in give me anything that is labeled as Blues ‘as well as’ Rock ‘as well as’ Punk, thereby narrowing down the selection?

1 Like

@Egbert_Braam, this is currently not possible unfortunately.
However, there is question in an old thread, which has not been answered yet.

I would like to see this as well and I thought there was a feature request, but can’t find it.