Problems importing music

Hi @support
I am in the process of importing a huge database of about 75,000 tracks. As I monitor the progress from the storage part of settings, I’m noticing that only about 1 track in 5 that is scanned gets imported. For example, I am looking now in real time at a batch where it says 314 tracks imported, 1258 files scanned. HOWEVER, when I go to library, it shows no files skipped. Can you think of any reason why it seems it is not importing such a large percentage of my tracks?

It’s likely files other than track files that are being scanned but not included — various kinds of text files, graphics that are not in the same folder as the track files, etc.

No they are all tracks. Also, just to be more specific, I am running my roon core on a windows PC and the tracks I am trying to import are on a Nativ Vita Music center that is mapped as a network drive. Also, if a file is not being imported, shouldn’t it show up in skipped files in the library settings regardless of the reason it was not imported? Because if so, as I said, it is not showing ANY skipped files

So in this example, you’re saying that when you check, in fact, 1,258 files have been imported?

If that’s not the case, the only other thing I can think of is that the files not being imported are in a format that Roon doesn’t support (?). What format(s) are the missing track files in?

No in this example, as of that real time, only 314 out of 1258 tracks had been imported. All my files are standard mp3s and aiff’s, all named properly. I am still running the import and have 26000 files to go, so I don’t know if maybe the files will all ultimately get imported, but I assumed that if as I’m importing the music it appears as though only 1 in 3 tracks that it is scanning have been imported, that is a problem. I would have thought that the system scans and imports at roughly the same rate. is that not correct?

I’m out of ideas, so I think it’s time to call in the big guns. @support

(And yes, I think your supposition is correct.)

To be clearer, when I go to Settings-Storage, and as I watch the import, it appears as though only one in 4 tracks that are scanned are being imported (right now it says 1144 tracks imported, 4170 tracks scanned).
HOWEVER, when I go to Settings-Library, and I choose skipped tracks, it does not show that any tracks have been skipped. So on the one hand it seems to be telling me that none of my files had problems(thus none skipped), but on the other it seems to only be importing about 1 in 4 tracks

thank you for the try-do i need to do anything further to have support look at this?

Yes, the behavior you’re describing is what I’d expect to see when Roon is scanning a watched folder and encountering files other than actual track files. (I think this is typical of most people’s libraries; it certainly is for mine.)

You shouldn’t have to do anything else. One of the Roon support techs should be along before too long.

Just a guess, but at some point, I think you’ll need to identify some track files that have been scanned but not imported, as a basis for homing in on the problem. The support guys may also ask you for this info.

Hey @Steven_Weber – why don’t we wait until the spinner has disappeared completely. I think you’ll have a clearer sense of what’s going on at that point.

If you still think files are missing then (or if the spinner never finishes), can you let us know the details of your system and storage configuration (as described here), and see if you can identify a file or two that were not imported? If you can upload an example or two to Dropbox or similar, we can definitely take a look.

Thank you- I read the support document here
http://kb.roonlabs.com/Skipped_Files
About skipped files, and there are some circumstances where files are not imported but do not show up in skipped files. HOWEVER, none of these conditions appear to apply, so I can’t understand why files that are not importing are not showing up in skipped files.
I will do what you suggest though-it’s just going to take 26 more hours to finish the transfer of my files (I am currently copying them from a drive on my pc to the nativ vita mapped as a network drive

Also, I should say, when I click the spinner in the upper right, it says: Adding music to your library: Of 5937 tracks, 1577 were added, 1577 identified. So it is identifying every track it imports, and it seems to recognize those other files as tracks, but it has not imported them. . .

Hi @Steven_Weber, what you’re describing sounds like normal behavior, so let’s wait until the import is complete first to evaluate this.

HOWEVER, none of these conditions appear to apply, so I can’t understand why files that are not importing are not showing up in skipped files.

it says: Adding music to your library: Of 5937 tracks, 1577 were added, 1577 identified. So it is identifying every track it imports, and it seems to recognize those other files as tracks, but it has not imported them. . .

Scanning your folders for music happens quicker than importing and identifying them – it will take some time for those numbers to catch up. The files haven’t been skipped, they just haven’t been imported yet. Files will only show in Skipped Files if an import was attempted and failed.

1 Like