Problems transferring music from 2 servers to Nucleus+ (RevA)

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have been trying to consolidate music (in excess of 125,000 songs) stored on 2 of my network servers (a Vortexbox server & a NAD M50,2 server) onto a new Samsung 8TB SSD that I have recently installed on my Nucleus+ server. I formatted this new SSD as per Roon instructions. Here are the methods that I tried to transfer the music and the problems that I encountered:

Trying to use Windows 11 Drag & Drop from each existing server to the Roon Nucleus+ server.

Using Windows 11 operating system, I finally got the “drag & drop” feature to work but here is my problem. In windows File Explorer, upon dragging a folder called Music (where all of my songs are stored on each of the Vortexbox & NAD M50.2 servers) a strange message keeps appearing. For example It tells me that there is not enough space on the Cafe on the Corner song. 1.69 TB is needed to copy this item. Delete or move files so you have enough space. It then gives me the option of either clicking on “try again”, “skip” or “cancel”. Clicking on “try again” does not solve the problem. When I choose “Skip” it goes on supposedly transferring files to the Nucleus+ but then I keep getting the same type of message for other songs. It is impossible that each song could need such huge amounts of terabytes for storage, since when you add up all of the terabytes, the total terabytes are greater than the terabyte capacities on my Vortexbox & NAD M50.2 servers. Does anyone know what is going on here?
Next, I tried doing the following:

First Transferring music to a San Disk Extreme Pro portable 4TB SSD

I transferred my music folders from my two servers to my portable San disk Extreme Pro portable 4TB SSD. I then tried to use Windows 11 drag & drop to transfer all of the files from my portable SSD to the Nucleus+. This portable SSD was connected via a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port on my Dell XPS8950 desktop computer. Some but very few of the music files transferred to the Nucleus+. Does anyone have any idea of why so little music is being transferred?

Finally, can anyone suggest a better way to transfer all of my music folders from my 2 existing servers to my Nucleus+ server?

The Nucleus will share the 8 tb drive is shared as a Network share. Using Windows File manager open a File Manager window on the 8 tb drive (see below), open a file window on the PC with the music and then copy using drag and drop with file manager. Make sure that everything is connect via ethernet and wifi is not being used during the transfer.

Opening the internal storage on Nucleus+ for Windows

1. Open File Explorer
  2. Enter **\\NUCLEUSPLUS\Data\Storage\InternalStorage**

Personally, I’ve found just using external drivers are so much easier. Copy the music to it. Plug it into the Nucleus or Nuc. done. Need to add more later, move the drive back to a PC, add music, move it back to the Nucleus or Nuc. In addition, the external drive

My problem has not been solved - that is I am having trouble transferring my music files from my 2 other network servers to a new Samsung 870 QVO SATA 2.5" 8 TB SSD on my Nucleus+ server.

To reiterate, upon trying to use Windows 11 to drag & drop my music files, I continue to receive a message such as the following:

“There is not enough space on the Cafe on the Corner song. 1.69 TB is needed to copy this item. Delete or move files so you have enough space.” (the original song does not use up 1.69 TB)

I am then given the option of either clicking “try again”, “skip” or “cancel”. Clicking on “try again” does not solve the problem. When I choose “Skip” it goes on supposedly transferring files to the Nucleus+ but then it is only a matter of time before I get the same type of message about another song that purportedly needs huge amounts of storage, and if I skip this song, the same type of message comes up for other songs.

I had a computer technician visit my home and look at the situation. He thought that the SSD might be defective, so I returned it & got a new replacement. The same thing is happening with the new SSD. Unfortunately, when I contact Samsung for support on this matter, they say that they are sorry, but do not have support for problems such as mine.

There is an article entitled “SSD Reports Wrong Size in Windows? Why and How to Fix it easily” by Emily (Last updated June 23, 2022). I do not know if this article is even applicable to my situation, and even if it was, the SSD may have to be installed in my desktop computer, with the Windows 11 operating system, to even try the fixes recommended. I am not sure if such a fix, if possible, could be done while the SSD is in the Nucleus+ server. This article can be accessed at https://www.diskpart.com/articles/ssd-reports-wrong-size.

I am hoping that someone in the Roon Community has an idea about what may be causing my music file copying problem.

What is the name of the destination folder that you are trying to use on the Nucleus? Are you sure that you are dropping your music files into the InternalStorage folder?

If you are dropping them into the Storage folder, then this is putting the files on the m.2 SSD, not the 2.5"8TB SSD. This won’t work, a) because there is not enough space on the m.2 SSD and b) because music files should never be put on this SSD.