Problems with 'focus' and crashing

I thought the focus crashing problem would be fixed with the latest Roon Catalina update, but it still occurs. I have bought a lifetime subscription. The thought of spending my life recovering from this daily Roon crash does not thrill me. Is this going to be fixed? I’ve provided every piece of information you’ve asked for and screen shots.

Mel

Dylan:

This problem is ongoing, even with the release of Roon 1.7. I was hoping it had been cured. Can we fix this please? It crashes every day, reliably.

Mel

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Running Mac OS 10.15.1. Latest build (505 stable)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Orbi System. Roon devices (Bluesound) are connected via Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

See above

Description Of Issue

Every morning Roon album screen is blank. It was fully populated the night before. A button says ‘try removing some focus criteria’. I never use that feature. When I click on the focus button Roon crashes and has to be launched again. This happens every morning, I reported this months ago and despite assurances nothing has been fixed. I love Roon and use it every day. Sadly, it crashes every day.

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Sincere apologies for the delay here, @dylan is currently travelling and is out of the office. Can I kindly request that you send us a new copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? We would be interested to know if the log traces on 1.7 are different than on 1.6, thank you!

I am uploading logs to DropBox… where should I send the link to??

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Can you please share via link on Dropbox?

Here it is…

Thanks for sending those over @Mel_Martin, I have forwarded them to QA for this investigation, as soon as we hear back from QA we will be sure to update you, thanks in advance for your patience!

1 Like

Hi @Mel_Martin,

The team is currently working to reproduce this issue in our QA labs, but so far we have not had any luck. Are there any specific steps that seem to trigger this behavior where it shows 0 of X albums?

When you’re in this state next, can you try adjusting the sort order? When doing so does that resolve things?

I have changed the sort order with no [positive result.

Here is what happens… I will create a playlist that lasts a bit beyond my sleep time. I am running this on a new 16" MacBook Pro running latest build of Catalina. I had the same problem with my previous 13" MBP.

When I wake up the usual grid of albums shows up for less than a second. Then the page goes blank with the focus message. (I’ve sent previous screen shots). When I click on the focus button Roon crashes. Simple as that. Happens every morning. It happens with albums in album title sort, and date added sort. It can also happen if I am away several hours.

Hi @Mel_Martin,

• Once the playlist ends does it go into Roon Radio? Is the music playing the entire time?
  • Is Roon being shut down at all, or is the Mac just going to sleep? If you set the Mac to not sleep as a test, does the same behavior occur?
  • Are you leaving Roon on the album screen or the playlist screen? Does it matter what screen Roon was left up on?

No, I’m usually asleep when playlist ends. (By the way, don’t use Roon Radio, would be nice to turn that GUI off)
Roon Core is on a Mac Pro in my office (home office).
It’s my laptop that crashes every morning
Doesn’t matter what screen. When I wake my laptop in the morning I briefly see the album screen before it goes black and I see the focus error. Then it crashes. There must be something in the logs.

Thanks for the update, @Mel_Martin.

In the logs the technical team does see the crash. The crash is not exactly the issue here — It’s more of a symptom of the unusual state that Roon on your Mac gets into.

The technical team has been trying to reproduce this issue in our QA labs but, unfortunately, we have not been successfully able to do so yet. We also are not seeing widespread reports of this issue, so it would seem that there is something that is specific to the configuration of your Mac that is different. If we can understand this difference and the QA can reliably get this behavior to reproduce we can get a ticket for this issue to our development team to resolve this.

Above, I asked the following:

You’ve mentioned that Roon is working, then you’re not using Roon for some time, and then you return to Roon and this issue has occurred. Something here is likely the key to understanding this, and it would be a great data point to know if it’s related to the Mac shutting going to sleep or if the same behavior occurs even if the Mac is left up and running for the same amount of time. Can you give this test a try for us?

The Mac running Roon core is Mac Pro. It never goes to sleep… the Roon remote is running now on a new MacBook Pro… it either goes to sleep on it’s own some evenings, or I put it to sleep… when I re-open it in the morning Roon displays my last screen for a second… then screen goes black, then it crashes.

However, sometimes I leave the laptop on during the day… no sleeping… and if I’m gone for several hours and Roon finishes its playlist it still crashes. Hope this helps…

Thanks, @Mel_Martin — I’ve passed this along to the team for further feedback.

As a lifetime subscriber I’m disappointed to see a problem that I’ve reported over and over again for many months.

When the Roon remote app on my MacBookPro is left running for a long time, usually over night, and I bring the page up in album view, the albums appear for a moment, then turns blank, suggesting I have a focus problem.

The only thing that fixes this is to restart the app.

Roon does so much so well, but it is irritating to have this problem since I first subscribed to Roon last summer.

I have sent logs, and have been told it will be fixed, and each update that comes up makes me think this will be he update that fixes it.

This has happened on three different Mac laptops… surely there is a reason for this issue, and something that can be fixed.

Thanks

Ever hopeful

Mel Martin

Another Roon update but no joy on this long lived bug in Roon on my MacBook Pro. Leave Roon up over night… wake up and the album display disappears with the same dumb remove focus criterial message. Isn’t it tome someone took a serious look at this problem and fixed it? I’m a lifetime subscriber, but doubt it will get fixed in my lifetime. Help!

1 Like

Hi @Mel_Martin,

Apologies for the ongoing problems here. I checked our internal tracker and confirmed that this is still under investigation with our QA team. I’ve asked for an update on this from them and I’ll be sure to follow up when we have more information.

Thanks!

Appreciate the note, but months and months go by with no change.I doubt others are not seeing this. My iPad Roon app works just fine. Surely something in the crash logs would give them a clue, but I haven’t been asked for them

Thanks

Mel

Almost year end and not fixes for focus issue on my Mac Pro… running Big Sur now, but the problem has remained in two Mac laptops… when the Roon app is left running and Mac is left alone for a couple of hours all music covers vanish from the screen, and then I’m used to fix ‘focus’. Only fix is to stop the app and start it again. When will there be a fix? Thanks