Problems with iOS Roon 1.8 Legacy app and Roon 1.8 Core [resolved: installed 1.8 legacy on Core]

I get it now. But this is not clear to someone that could not upgrade core to 2.0. Just make the instructions clearer with some real world examples. And don’t let remotes update until a core is compatible.

In slight defence of Roon, at least there is a downgrade option. I think I’m correct in saying that this is the first time that 2 different versions of Roon have been officially supported at the same time. Even after 1.8 Legacy has stopped being supported, you’ll still be able to use it without update prompts.

1 Like

100000% agree with you Peter also. This is crazy ■■■■■ All working perfectly on Monday… all broke on Wednesday and all I did was believe the hype and promos and got excited and downloaded the new ARC app and updated the existing Roon Remote app… and the result… carnage!! :slight_smile:

Anthony

Hey Daniel… I get what they were trying to do… but Jaysus… it was all so badly handled and managed. I’m going to be stuck on Roon 1.8 until the new MacPro arrives and God Only Knows when that will ship and I will have it in my hands. I get there needs to be progress… and move the platform forward… but something better should have been done on the day of the launch to make unsupported users aware how to stay on 1.8

This is a nightmare… :frowning:

Anthony

1 Like

I agree. I was only offering “slight” defence. :wink:

For me there are 2 issues

1. Hardware compatibility (not actually a problem for me, but I do think that info should have been given in advance of the release)
  2. Offline access. Again, no info in advance.

As it turns out I’m not at all interested in ARC. I’m running UAPP on my Andoid devices. This allows me to download music directly to my SD card (not yet available in ARC) and use PEQ (not yet available in ARC).

Hi all; just installed 1.8 Legacy build 1126. iMac 10,14 Mohave. Worked fine and 1.8 legacy app on remotes is connected. Ok for now it appears. May update core to Monterey soon so I can test Roon 2 but I’ll wait for a couple bug fix updates to Roon 2 before I do.

3 Likes

Yo Peter… I also downloaded the Roon 1.8 Legacy macOS app… but my Roon 1.8 Legacy app still won’t connect to my old core… with all my music on it… but it is now giving me a login option for the same MacPro but it’s like going back to the start… nothing on it… Add Music…?

Can you send me the exact link you used for your Roon 1.8 Legacy Core software… ?

Anthony

I did a fresh install, but when I came to the the unpopulated Roon home page, I reinstalled a saved database.

1 Like

I fully agree that this was undercommunicated. I installed 1.8 Legacy versions on all my devices, and it went smoothly, but I was seriously–and unnecessarily–annoyed for a an hour or so.

I also don’t see any need for ARC. Sure if you have a giant library and do not stream, but I almost exclusively stream from Qobuz.

I haven’t a clue how to do any of that… OMG!! This all just gets worse and worse.

How do you re-install a Database… I haven’t touched my Roon is many years now. It just all worked.

Regards,
Anthony

I’m just re-reading your previous post. Is your Core now on 1.8 Legacy?

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-1-8-2-0-migration-faq-16-9-2022 Look for legacy core download link. I did not have to reinstall database. I did the following. Put new legacy 1.8 app on iPad and iPhone. Closed Roon on iMac. Installed new Roon core 1.8 build 1126 legacy app on iMac. Opened app which took about 2 minutes. Opened app on iPad and clicked connect. I have remote app on 6 iOS devices and 3 laptops. All now working. But what a pain!!1

1 Like

Hi again Peter…

I have that installer now… but it’s asking to overwrite my previous version… is that correct… is that what you did… ?

Please advise and revert… ?

Anthony

Andrew I tried to install the legacy app. I created the directory, put the roon_1-8 in it, renamed it to roon and told my rock to reinstall operating system. It ran through the process and I was still in 1105 version. Do I need to install 2.0 first in order to revert to legacy?

1 Like

To change my current Roon 1.8 Core over to the new Roon 1.8 Legacy Core, I have downloaded the new Roon 1.8 Legacy Core and it’s asking me to overwrite my existing Roon 1.8 Core app in my Application folder on my Mac (running macOS Mojave 10.14.6)… do I overwrite and all will be fine…?

Need to know before I press OK ?

Regards,
Anthony

I have the same issue cant use Roon I am unable to use Roon 2 and now I cant use it at all I have a MAC mini for core and Ipad as remote roon 1.8 legacy wont talk to mac mini 1.8 build
I do think a little more thought needed to go into this advance

What I did was this…. I created two folders in “Applications”

I named one “Roon 1.8”

I named the other “Roon 1.8 legacy”

I dragged my original Roon app (1.8) to the Roon 1.8 folder.

I installed Roon 1.8 legacy… it asks you to drag it to your applications folder, now there’s nothing to ‘overwrite’ there.

I then dragged 1.8 legacy to the 1.8 legacy folder.

Upon firing up 1.8 legacy… it just loads up fine.

Now I can point a remote with 1.8 legacy at it and all is fine.

Hope that helps.

All Roon needed to do was check the hardware and offer an update to 2.0 if the hardware supported it, 1.8 legacy if it did not.

Asking people to manually download 1.8 legacy and overwrite 1.8 was always going to cause worries & problems.

Totally agree. There are several programs I use that don’t allow me to update my OS to to take advantage of 2.0 Roon, and so not realizing the upgrade would update the Roon Core on my Innuos, I have a situation where I can’t use Roon at all even after reinstalling the legacy remote software on the Mac (because of the updated core on the Innuos). You offer only instructions to roll back the Nucleus and I can’t find any info on how to roll back the core on the Innnous … anywhere. Maybe others have time to putter around trying to figure out what the step by step instructions are for rolling back my server, but I don’t. There should have been some better warning that made us aware there might be a problem with Catalina OS. But that was not made public, only a choice to upgrade. And without knowing how to roll back the Innuos server Roon Core to 1.8, it’s really created a major problem!

I took the risk… and overwrote my old Roon app with the new Roon 1.8 Legacy app for macOS as I have an ongoing Time Machine backup of all my apps and files… so a safety net.

I would like to report all working perfectly now again.

Still… not a great upgrade implementation I feel anyways, myself personally, but I’m just an end user and don’t really know about the intricacies involved.

Thank you to all that contributed to help resolve my issues. Very much appreciated.

Regards,
Anthony

1 Like