Problems with iPad as remote

@support

I had about three years old basic iPad as a Roon remote. My core is on 2018 i5 Mac Mini. I had constantly issues with Roon remote app crashing and needing to reload album art especially after resuming to app after listening. This was making finding music and songs to play less of an enjoyment. Mostly because of this I went and bought 2020 iPad Pro 12,9" because I thought that 6 gigs of ram would do the trick. Well it didn’t help. I have tried to increase and to decrease the memory for photos/artwork.

This is huge inconvenience (at least for me) and has lead me to use mostly Spotify. I am a lifetime subscriber for Roon, so this is not about cancelling my subscription :smiley:

Is there anything that could be done about this issue?

Thanks!

I would raise this in support category.

1 Like

Yes, you should contact support because I am using a second gen iPad Pro with 64GB of RAM to control my set-up without issue. Since that is virtually all I use it for there are only a handful of others aps loaded on the3 device.

1 Like

Hi @optimaxi,

I’ve shifted your post into Support because it sounds like something in your setup isn’t working properly. Can you provide full details of your system and network using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so Support can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

1 Like

Hello @optimaxi, I would be happy to help! Please give us some details about your setup as andybob recommended and we’ll get started. Thanks!

1 Like
  • Details on your Core machine (Mac OS Catalina 10.5.5. on 2018 Mac Mini 6-core i5 with 16gb ram)
  • Networking details (Huawei B715 – 5GHz ac wifi. Network is overall quite fast)
  • Audio devices in use (Bluesound Node 2i)
  • Library details (Loca music stored on external hd connected to Mac mini via usb 3 + Tidal. Both combined there are about 11000 track on my library)

Remotes used:
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPad Pro 12,9" (2020)

Hello @optimaxi, my apologies for the delayed response here. I spoke to my team about what you’re experiencing and we would like to enable diagnostics for your iPad. Please reply to this thread with a timestamp (your local time) next time Roon crashes on the iPad and I’ll enable diagnostics for your account.

I also wanted to ask about any patterns you’ve noticed or a failure point when the app generally crashes as this will help my team isolate the cause of the issue.

Lastly, are you seeing this behavior on your iPhone?

I may have found a solution that helps. I cleared the image cache in my core and all my remotes. Then set the memory higher. So far it’s been way better. So I’ll see how it works and get back here, if the problem comes back.

Thanks!

Hey @optimaxi, thanks for the update! Let me know how it goes.

It still works, so it seems to be fixed for now :+1:t2:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.