Problems with Roon on Fiio M11 Pro

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon core Build 1.7 running on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Surface laptop.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Xfinity modem router with mostly hardwired connections, although my wifi works quite well.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Fiio M11 pro DAP.
MicroRendu and PS Audio Bridge II

Description Of Issue
I have a MicroRendu and PS Audio Bridge II, is recognized by my core, functioning well, and my iPod touch and iPad play music without problem in the Roon app.

The Fiio device is not recognized by the core, and although the Roon app is installed, it will not play music. (The WIFI connection is excellent, and I can stream Tidal without problem) In the core, a Fiio ASIO driver is listed but “fails to initialize” when I try to enable it.

Can you help me with this?

make sure in settings under audio on the FiiO its not setup as a private zone

Thanks, but it’s not set up as a private zone.

Unfortunately I’m not able to offer any help, but I do wonder if your issue is specific to Fiio.

I say this, as I use a Fiio Q5S dac/amp connected to an iPod Touch (which is the Roon endpoint) for headphone listening. If the iPod is connected to the Q5S via it’s included Lightning to Micro USB cable when both the iPod and Q5S are turned on, Roon does not “see” the iPod on the network and I cannot select it. If I simply disconnect the cable from the iPod, it shows up in Roon just fine. I can then select the iPod, reconnect the cable, and proceed using Roon for playback through the iPod/Q5S combo without issue. I’ve just learned to live with this “workaround.”

Because your M11 Pro is a DAP and the streamer is not separate from the dac/amp, I’m suspicious that your issue is with Fiio’s software and perhaps not with Roon. I know that doesn’t really help, but just thought I would share my experience.

Hi @John_Wyant,

To clarify, are you able to connect to the Core from the app on the Fiio? Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Audio from the Fiio if you are able to connect?

Yes, I can connect to the core and see my entire library. When I chose an album and click on play, nothing happens. My only choice of devices to play to is “system output”. When I click on that, I’m told that nothing is playing. -Screwy!
Thanks,
John

I forgot to say that I don’t know how to do a screenshot of the Fiio. In settings>Audio on the Fiio, when I try to “configure Roon os devices”, the search for devices turns up nothing.

Thanks, Al
You may be right, but other M11 owners tell me that Roon runs just fine on their devices.

1 Like

Hi @John_Wyant,

So to clarify, you choose System Output as your Zone and when you press play nothing happens? Are you receiving any errors?

That’s correct. My only Zone choice is System Output. I get no error messages when I try to play music; only “nothing playing” and nothing happens.
I’m ok using the free Fiio music app, but I prefer the Roon interface much more.
Thanks for your efforts,
John

Hi @John_Wyant,

Moving forward, I’m hoping you can do the following:

• Reboot your Core and the Fiio
  • Choose the Fiio’s System Output Zone
  • Try to start playback
  • Take a screenshot of what you see
  • Make a note of the time you start playback

Respond here with the time that you pressed play as well as with the screenshot you took and we can enable diagnostics to investigate further.

Thanks!

Thanks for your efforts, Dylan, but sadly I’ve decided to give up on the Fiio M11 as a Roon endpoint. The Fiio music app works well, and maybe a firmware update from them will remedy the problem.

@John_Wyant try if you can to configure an ssid for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz and try the different connections…I’ve had better success for long term stability with 5gz network connection in my place, but I have very good coverage and flexible unify setup to do this. Roon and raat seems less tolerant of small/short drops in WiFi

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.