Proposed change in play rules

Give it a graphic/Color change. You can always check with a right click.

Or just have it set it at the server level, and make everything the same?

Still for me personally and having to explain to my family the difference between press to play in one way I have chosen and then press ond hold to get various options or worse right click this way is more complicated and requires a lot more thought than simply having to hit play and then whatever option I want on e paw masher.

I would support more options such as play from here on that which makes more sense to me than the current option. I seem to remember Danny was quite against that’s though for some reason.

I can live without play from here though I know it was a big deal for many as it seems is a single press to play.

Agree with adding “Play From Here Now” and “Add to Queue From Here” to the existing screen that shows when you click on a track. These can be the third and fourth option on the bottom row (which currently has 2 smaller buttons for “Play Next” and “Add to Queue”).

Agree with @andybob about adding “Play from here” to the pawmasher.

But these settings should be possible to set in preferences for each profile!?!?
I personally would like o rid my setup of the pawmasher and default to “play immediately from here” either when selecting a track of an album or a playlist.
If you like the playlist idea, fine… Not all do though, and i for one almost never play anything other than albums.

Atb Mike

1 Like

I agree, Alpo. When I click on a track to play, I expect (by default) Roon to play that track then continue to play the album rather than go into Radio mode – particularly since a screen pops up with the choice to Play Now or Start Radio. Roon seems to start the radio mode anyway, even though I have explicitly chosen not to. I shouldn’t have to right-click, choose “Play from Here,” then choose Play simply to start playing an album starting with whatever track I want. Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.

1 Like

Totally agree, play from the track where we start, and then the rest of the album, then silece, no radio.

+1!
That should really be a basic feature of any software which is capable of playing music.
Personally, I don’t use the radio feature at all (could be an option, though). But by default roon should just keep playing the given album and stop playing when the album is over.

Please consider to implement this.

I’ve merged some recent posts from an old thread about this issue and closed that thread as it predates “Play From Here”

One problem with default behaviours is that for every user that wants it one way there is another user who prefers something different. For example, some users do not want Play to kill the Queue.

I think the answer lies in right click options from which the user can choose a left click default (see post above). Would that be too confronting for a new user ?

That is fine. Just turn it off and leave it off.

1 Like

oh, wasn’t aware of that… thanks for the heads up!

true. A possible solution would be an option in general settings like this:

default behavior when playing a track:

1. play from here (until the end of album)
  2. play song and resume with queue afterwards

EDIT: ah well, all of this is already in this other ‘just killed my queue’ post: I just killed my queue

I thought put all the options into a right click on any Play button and then let the user select defaults for left click on Play, Album or Track.

sounds perfect… but what about ipad?

1 Like

Long press for right click, just like album selection.

sounds good to me!
…more options might seem cluttering but as you said: there are different preferences which work for different users

After all these threads, the function was not added to Build 123. I’m disappointed. Are you going to add it soon?

I haven’t used playlists much but have set a few up this week.

What’s interesting is when you press play midway through a playlist, the pawmasher says ‘starting at track X’ and then plays from there - pretty much what I think makes sense to a lot of us old CD users. But not when you press play half way through an album?

I got really confused, but only because in Roon I’ve become accustomed to things stopping after the first track so I expected only one track from the playlist to play!

If that’s not how it’s always worked, maybe it’s a sign of change to come…

There is a tread on this: Consistent actions in Playlists and Albums

In summary, the designed behaviour is:
In Album view, a short tap selects one track and goes to PawMasher
In Playlist view, a short tap selects “Tracks from here” and goes to the PawMasher.
A long press allows the non- default option. Confusing, but I can live with it.
I do not think it is a sign of a change of heart by the developers.

It doesnt stay off! After an utdate it’s back to on!! Irritating!