PS Audio DAC no longer visible on a remote Surface Pro 3 using USB

Hi Eric, My core runs on an HP Envy. Data is stored in a WD NAS. The remote is a A Microsoft Surface pro 3 running Windows 10 64 bit. I attach to the DAC via USB.

The tablet now attaches directly to the speakers that are attached to the core; it does not see the PS Audio. I will also mention that the music that I stream from ClassicsOnline work perfectly fine on the tablet with the USB . Any ideas? Thanks. Ed Deptula

Eric,

Running Roon 1.2 build 168 64 bit
Roon Bridge 1.0 build 40

NAS is WD attached to Arris router.

Core is an HP Envy desktop loaded with memory and hard disk space. Windows
10 64 bit

Tablet is Microsoft Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 64 bit.

The tablet is using wifi. There is a cable from the USB port to a PSAUDIO
DAC III. There tablet sees the USB port and has no problem using it with
other programs.

Relatively recently the tablet stopped seeing the PS AUDIO. The tablet can
play music on the speakers attached to the Core. On the Audio Screen it
says that I am looking at items attached to the Core. How can I get it to
see an item attached to the remote tablet.

Thanks,

ED Deptula

Hi @Edward_Deptula ----- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback, both are appreciated.

Can you verify for me if you have any active firewalls or antivirus software in your setup? Furthermore, you mentioned that this behavior has only started recently. Has anything changed in your setup since you’ve noticed this problem? OS updates? Firmware/Driver updates? New gear? New applications?

Lastly, if you were to connect the PS AUDIO DAC III to your HP desktop running your core can the device be seen?

-Eric

Eric, firewall and McAfee antivirus is in the the setup. I do not remember if the last OS update predates this problem. There is no new gear or apps.

I did not mention that this is not the first time that the DAC III has disappeared from the remote. In the past I could get it working again - annoying but I lived with it.

I guess the issue for me is that on the Surface Pro, ClassicsOnline and GrooveMusic have no problem finding the DAC which is my default speaker output. However, the Roon remote tablet on the Audio Setup says : “These devices are connected to your core directly.” How do I get the Roon software to see the output that is on the remote tablet?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi @Edward_Deptula ----- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my question/sharing your observations with me. I see from your most recent post that you are making use of both antivirus software and active firewalls.

As a test, may I kindly ask you to please temporarily disengage both in your setup and confirm if there is a change in behavior here.

-Eric

No change. As I mentioned, I have had no other problems with the DAC. besides GrooveMusic and ClassicsOnline, just added Media Monkey with access to the NAS and there is no problem playing our of the USB port.

Ed

Hi @Edward_Deptula ---- Thank you for the follow up and sharing your feedback.

The behavior you are describing (local zones not being available on a Roon remote) is consistent with those we have seen in the past when a user has encountered issues with OS level security settings (i.e firewalls) on their core. I just want to be positive that this has been double checked before we move on and gather logs from you/issue a ticket to our developers.

May I very kindly ask you to please verify that this was the procedure that was used when adjusting your firewall settings on both your core and tablet:

1. Go to Advanced Settings of the Win Firewall
  2. Open Inbound Rules
  3. Sort by name
  4. Find rules with the name “raatserver.exe”.
  5. Confirm if these are being allowed and not blocked.

-Eric

Eric,

Good news: Roon is working with the DAC
Bad news: I don’t know why.

Raatserver is on the core computer along with Roon and Roonbridge in the Inbound rules.
There is no raatserver on the remote; however, there is roon and roonbridge in the Inbound rules.

All of a sudden the PS AUDIO option was on both computers in the Audio settings. I think it started working on Friday and I just wanted to see if everything worked for a few days after turning all of the computers on and off a few times.

Any clue? Thanks,

Ed

Hi @Edward_Deptula ----- Thank you for the follow up and am glad to hear that the DAC is now being recognized.

It’s hard to say exactly what may have caused this change in behavior without physically being in front of your setup :microscope: So really my next questions for you are, A) has the configuration been stable since and B) outside of checking the inbound rules in your security settings, can you think of anything that may have been done differently or changed in this time period?

-Eric

No. The computers update system software automatically, but there hasn’t been a problem with any other program.

Again, all other programs were seeing the DAC and playing through it. Hard for me to figure out why only one program could not see it. I will continue to use it the next few days and see it is continues to work.

Ed

1 Like

This is not a new problem. My Surface Pro 3 cannot see the DAC when running roon (I can play files on the speakers that are connected to the Core from the remote.) Amazon and Groove Music do not have a problem playing through the DAC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a problem that only crops up regularly with Roon.

Hi,

Is this a follow on from this topic? If so it probably best we merge the topics so the history is together.

Yes. Same problem. Every once in a while, the remote cannot see the attached DAC. If I am patient enough, it eventually comes back - I do not know why. But now this is like earlier in the year when it went on forever. Very frustrating not to be able to listen downstairs. I will add that the remote has no problem seeing the Core.

Ed

Thanks for prompt reply. I’ve merged the topics… and am tagging @support to follow up with you.

1 Like

Hi @Edward_Deptula ---- Thank you for the update, it’s good to hear from you.

The last we spoke (as seen above), you had mentioned that things had stabilized and you would continue to monitor the behavior of the SP3 + PS Audio DAC. Can you give me some insight into how long this lasted and if anything has changed since, in regard to your setup?

Furthermore, when you notice this behavior is there anything else running (i.e ClassicsOnline, GrooveMusic, Media Monkey, Amazon) on either the SP3 or the HP Envy?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
The last few months, on the whole, have been fine. Like I said, every once in a while I have to close the software and reopen.

There is nothing new about the system. Right now the SP3 can see the speakers attached to the core and play music to them; the remote has no problem seeing the core. Like the last time this happened, it is not showing that any speakers are attached to the remote. Besides rebooting, I have reinstalled the Roon software but the result is the same. I only run the other software to be sure that there is not a problem with the DAC or USB port.

Let me know what you think.

raatserver.exe		Public	Yes	Block	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\raatserver.exe	Any	Any	UDP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	
raatserver.exe		Private	Yes	Allow	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\raatserver.exe	Any	Any	TCP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	
raatserver.exe		Private	Yes	Allow	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\raatserver.exe	Any	Any	UDP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	
raatserver.exe		Public	Yes	Block	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\raatserver.exe	Any	Any	TCP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	
roon.exe		Public	Yes	Allow	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\roon.exe	Any	Any	UDP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	
roon.exe		Public	Yes	Allow	No	C:\users\edept\appdata\local\roon\application\roon.exe	Any	Any	TCP	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	Any	

Eric, these are the inbound rules for roon and raatserver. Is this a problem?

Hi @Edward_Deptula — Thank you for touching base with me, this could very well be the culprit here. What I would like to see is a screenshot of “Roon.exe”, “RAATServer.exe” and “RoonBridgeHelper.exe” in the “Allowed Apps” section of the Win firewall settings.

Path: Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Allow an app through the firewall

Roon, Raatserver, and roonbridgehelper should all have a checkmark next to them and be set to “Public”.

-Eric

Roon and RAAT are good. There is no RoonBridgeHelper.

Correction to last email. There is RoonBridgehelper on the remote but not on the core.