PS Audio no longer promoting Roon Ready in DSJ

Awesome. Thank you Paul.

Can you edit the title of this thread? This is very much misleading. Not everyone reads through to the end. Thanks.

I received the new Music Direct catalog today in the mail. Both the DS and DS Jr say Roon ready in their respective descriptions. I think the AA one was just a lazy edit.

1 Like

Interesting! Thatā€™s good news. Thanks for sharing that.

I think if you read the OP youā€™ll see that it perfectly describes the thread. What do you think it should say, and why? Thanks.

This is where I became skeptical. I joke of course, all said in good humour :blush:

Maybe he meant he sits close to a marketing expert.

1 Like

Oh! This is where language continues to get us in trouble!

I did not mean that I am close to being a marketing expert! Far from it! LOL

No. I meant that I have a close relationship with a marketing expert. Privacy concerns - and all that - prevented me from being more specific.

However, Iā€™ll not budge on that clarification. My expert is a deep, career long, actively directing marketing strategy for many companies; expert. About as informed on this topic a a person can beā€¦

Sorry about the lack of clarity.

So I was right. He sits near a marketing expert. :grin:

1 Like

hehe :wink:

Right now their position is clear Bridge II will support Roon indefinetely, the next Gen. of PS Audio productd will focus in Octave with no Roon support, so Bridge III no Roon only Octave, and the ext gen of DSJ will come with the Bridge III so no Roon support.

Many of us DS/DSJ owners bought it because it offers class leading performance and upgradability with a price way south of other similarly performing and upgradable models (e.g., Meridian Ultra DAC).

I was not a Roon user before I owned the DSJ, but to get the most out of the DSJ it is the way to go. So I have invested into a ROCK server and the necessary infrastructure to maximize that user experience ā€“ and I love it.

Now to hear that long term upgrades will require me to abandon the Roon is distressing. I hope this was just a momentary lapse of reason and they will continue to put the consumer first by supporting both their Octave and Roon with any all future upgrades (software or hardware) to DS/DSJ.

If not, unless Octave offers a similar user experience without requiring my investment in yet another hardware platform to support it, Iā€™ll likely be shopping for a new DAC.

I hope I do not have toā€¦

Not sure where you get that. The post above yours clearly states PS Audioā€™s position which is to support Roon on the Bridge II while simultaneously building Octave and Bridge III. I bought my DirectStream DAC for the same reasons as you. In fact I bought a DS jr and had never used Roon before but a week after trying Roon with that DAC I bought a lifetime subscription and sold my Aurender music server. I then upgraded to the full DS Sr. and could not be happier. I literally use Roon every day. I added a ultraRendu to use Roon in a second system and am 100% committed. That said I was buying LPs for years and have since gotten away from analog. It could happen with this as well when the next great audio do dad comes out and sounds ā€œbetterā€ than what I have now.

So Bridge III, the next hardware upgrade likely available for DS (maybe DSJ?) apparently will not support Roon. That is where I got ā€œthatā€.

Perhaps I do not understand something?

I get it. I guess I believe that the only reason they are coming out with a Bridge III is to support Octave. I think this strategy is a mistake on their part. Users will be forced to choose one or the other. Now If I could have a Bridge III that supported Roon AND Octave then I could actually have both in my system if I chose to do so. I am going to have to see and hear Octave before buying it but right now my inclination is to avoid it.

1 Like

Reading through the PSA forums I get that Roon will be supported on Bridge II devices but not on Bridge III devices. So if you want to keep using ROON donā€™t upgrade to Bridge III or Octave.

2 Likes

There is a thread on the psaudio forums where Paul says they will look into Roon support for bridge iii. I think if enough customers clamor they will do it. As a lifetime Roon subscriber I have no intention of investing in another solution.

1 Like