QNAP multiple adapters and internet access

I have multiple adapters connected to my network on my QNAP. When the QNAP chose the “Default Gateway” it chose a different adapter than the roon server connected on (QNAP chose adapter 3 as default gateway and roon server was on adapter 2). Adapter 2 is 192.168.1.22 and adapter 3 is 192.168.1.46 on my network. In this configuration, the roon server was not able to connect to the internet so Roon account info and TIDAL connectivity were broken. I “fixed” this by changing the default gateway and forcing it to adapter 2 but I don’t like the kludge as I don’t really understand why it was broken in the first place. Any help welcome and thanks in advance.

Are both network adapters on your qnap connected to the same network?
I am just asking as they are in the same IP subnet (IP range)…

yes - all of the network adapters are connected to the same network

Then actually there should be internet connectivity on all adapters, right?
What is the reason for multiple adapters in the same network? Wouldn’t “Port Trunking” be better suited?

I had thought there would be internet connectivity on all adapters. I’m using the multiple adapters to improve throughput while I’m doing a mass rip - the ripper is writing via one adapter and I’m accessing the roon server on another. May not be accomplishing what I expect but I didn’t expect that there would be any different behavior on the different adapters. I supposed I need to research the QNAP “default gateway” concept.

BTW - thanks for building this - my roon experience is dramatically improved running the core on a dedicated QNAP

FWIW - I, after I changed the “default gateway,” I did have to stop and start roonserver on the qnap to get internet access

This should be normal and required. As far as I know RoonServer checks the network connectivity at start.

After thinking about it a little bit, I don’t see it as a good idea (using 2 adapters within the same IP range with Roon).
RoonServer will be available on both adapters and have the same unique database-id. A remote will see it as 1 Server and might switch forth and back between them (unsure about this). But you cannot really take control to let RoonServer only act on 1 adapter. I have to admit that I did not test this myself. But I see issues with this setup emerging.

If you would like to use 2 adapters to boost the network performance (especially when accessing the QNAP with multiple devices simultaneously) I’d recommend again to take a look at the port-trunking abilities. :slight_smile:

I’ve simplified it down to one adapter and all is well. I will look into port-trunking! Thanks.

Hi Paul, have you ever solved the problems with trunking on qnap? I’have the same problem even with basic capabilities like fault tolerance (One nic up and the other one in stand by). As soon as I define the trunking the squeezebox start to jump from one title to another one and never stop until I stop the trunking falling back to one nic solution. Thank you for a feedback. S.