QNAP - Not Showing Local Folders Anymore [See Staff Post - Fix is released]

Happy Anniversary, everyone. We have been here together for a year :slight_smile:

Hopefully, we won’t have to have our 2nd anniversary. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is Roon actively working on this? If so, I cannot imagine why they cannot figure this out. If Roon has no intention of fixing this then pls just say so. This way I can make an informed decision whether or I not want to continue using Roon. Thank you from a very long time user.

1 Like

And also this bug hasn’t been addressed making using my ROON local library nearly impossible.
@noris leaving paying customers with a software like is now won‘t work out.

1 Like

I just want to add, like many I purchased a QNAP specifically to use it with Roon since it was advertised to be compatible. One work around doesnt seem to work, resulting in multiple copies of each track and the other results in the elimination of a key feature, real-time monitoring of folders for new songs. @noris can you pls at least let your customers know what is the status of this issue and whether Roon is committed to addressing it ASAP or is it a lower priority?

1 Like

And there is still big advertising of QNAP & ROON for example here:
Roon on NAS | Building the ultimate music server | QNAP)

Me too :frowning: How it is for sale (QNAP HS-264). I don’t want to wait anymore.

1 Like

I sadly can understand that. Leaving customers in the dark for over a year about such a crucial, core functionality is still incomprehensible to me.

1 Like

Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback here. I know that progress regarding this issue has been slow, but I do have some important updates to share.

A QNAP unit is now in testing with one of our senior devs and we are actively investigating this issue. The problem is that so far, we have not been able to reproduce the issue on our end.

It is critical that we are able to reproduce the issue first before attempting a fix so that we can confirm that the intended fix works as expected.

In an attempt to reproduce the behavior with a more focused approach, we are hoping that you would be able to provide some further details regarding your QNAP setup.

Looking over the thread comments, there were a few suggested possibilities that may be relevant to reproduce the issue. If you are still seeing this, can you please confirm the following?

1. What are your Advanced Folder Permissions set to? Do you have this setting enabled? Does the issue still reproduce with this setting disabled?
  1. Do you have a single storage pool or do you have multiple storage pools?

2. Does the issue reproduce if you use English as the QNAP interface language?

3. What is your QNAP model and QTS version? Are you still able to reproduce on QTS 5.0.1.2173 or newer?

4. How are your storage pool and NAS disks formatted? Which RAID type are you using?

5. Are there any additional details that you can think of that would help reproduce this issue (starting from a fresh QNAP install)?

The QNAP that we are attempting to reproduce the issue on has the following specifications:

Please, do let us know the above when possible, thank you!

@noris

1. What are your Advanced Folder Permissions set to? Do you have this setting enabled? Does the issue still reproduce with this setting disabled?

not enabled.

1. Do you have a single storage pool or do you have multiple storage pools?

single storage pool

1. Does the issue reproduce if you use English as the QNAP interface language?

I am using English

1. What is your QNAP model and QTS version? Are you still able to reproduce on QTS 5.0.1.2173 or newer?

TS-473, QTS 5.0.1.2173

1. How are your storage pool and NAS disks formatted? Which RAID type are you using?

RAID 5

1. Are there any additional details that you can think of that would help reproduce this issue (starting from a fresh QNAP install)?

this issue started immediately after a Roon upgrade. I have Roon installed on an SSD on a separate volume (DataVol1). My music files are on DataVol2.

I’m using a TBS-453a (same basic hardware but other form factor, 8GB RAM) and never suffered from this issue.

1. image
  2. Only one storage pool (named “Storage Pool 1” for the case this should matter).
  3. Language was always set to English and never had this issue.
  4. TBS-453a, 8GB RAM, QTS 5.0.1.2194
  5. image
  6. As the issue is with accessing the music files, any details about how the music files are stored and accessed maybe?
    Shared Folder properties for the share that contains the music files:

Is the default multimedia share being used or a different, non-default share?
    Are the music files also shared with other applications (Multimedia Console, DLNA Media Server, Plex, …)?
    Is Roon configured to watch a shared folder root or a sub-folder (example: /Music vs. /Roon/Music)?
    Are other/additional file sharing protocols active/configured for the music share of affected users?
    grafik QuFTP

PS: On my installation the Roon Server, music files and backups reside all in the same Shared Folder which might be the reason why I don’t have the issue (if Roon Server were unable to access the music files it were likely also unable to access its own files and DB in the first place).
Share: /Roon ownership: admin/administrators access rights: 777 of type: Snapshot Shared Folder
My watched folder in Roon is /Roon/Music and is not shared with other applications on the NAS.
I don’t use any other file sharing protocols besides SMB/CIFS (Microsoft Networking). All others are turned off or not installed.

Oh, regarding your former statement it took alone more than 4 months to get your dev team a QNAP device for testing. I am sure users would have helped you far sooner with lending you one etc.

And just to clarify for understanding. Isn’t there also a very competent (dev) member owning several devices and having an extensive knowledge of QNAP - which is @crieke ?
As stated previously he can also reproduce the bug.

It is incredible that you asked this information after a year! Shouldn’t this information collection have happened a long time ago?

Not enable. Never enabled.

2. Do you have a single storage pool or do you have multiple storage pools?
    Single storage pool

3. Does the issue reproduce if you use English as the QNAP interface language?
    I am using English

4. What is your QNAP model and QTS version? Are you still able to reproduce on QTS 5.0.1.2173 or newer?
    My model is TVS-673 running the firmware QTS 5.0.1.2173

5. How are your storage pool and NAS disks formatted? Which RAID type are you using?
    Raid 10. There are 6 disks. Disk 1 and 2 are forming RAID1. So do disk 3 - 4 and disk 5 - 6. Then all three are forming RAID10. There is a single storage pool on this RAID10

6. Are there any additional details that you can think of that would help reproduce this issue (starting from a fresh QNAP install)?
    This issue was not present on QTS4. I started seeing this issue during the January timeframe when I replaced all 6 drives and upgraded to QTS5. I am not sure if there was Roon update at that time.

Model name TVS-673
CPU AMD Embedded R-Series RX-421BD Radeon R7, up to 2100 MHz (4 cores, 4 threads)
Serial number Q181I17143
BIOS version QY03AR22
Total memory 40 GB (39 GB usable)
Multi-channel support 2 channels - 2 DIMM(s) per channel
Memory slots 4 (4 GB / 4 GB / 16 GB / 16 GB)
Firmware version QTS 5.0.1.2173 Build 20221001
System up time 25 Days 14 Hour 34 Minute(s)
Time zone (GMT-11:00) MidwayIsland,Samoa
Filename encoding English
1 Like

I can’t believe that the result of several months of triaging was that the issue is not reproducible. I am a software engineer myself and I fully understand that some bugs need the right mix to reproduce. You may not be able to find that right mix. This part is fine.

But the issue is happening on our settings. If you had talked to use much earlier, we could have helped you already. We can have a zoom session where we can help you collect the needed information or let you try something on our system. Several of us have suffered this issue and the others don’t. If you had collected the information from both groups, you might have found the common patterns, the root cause and the solution already.

You seriously need to revamp how you deal with the escalations.

Please let me know if you need help via a live debug session.

1 Like

Multiple Storage Pool

not tested, System language German

4. What is your QNAP model and QTS version? Are you still able to reproduce on QTS 5.0.1.2173 or newer?
    QTS 5.0.1.2194

5. How are your storage pool and NAS disks formatted? Which RAID type are you using?
    2 Storage Pools:

*Multimedia Raid 6 9x10TB HDDs, 2x1TB Raid 1 Cache
*2x 1TB M2 SSD Raid 0 → Roon running on that
*6x 6TB Raid 6 for other Data

1. Are there any additional details that you can think of that would help reproduce this issue (starting from a fresh QNAP install)?

The QNAP that we are attempting to reproduce the issue on has the following specifications:

Both options disabled

Multiple storage pools.

Yes, I only use English version

TS-473A, QTS 5.0.1.2194 (the same behavior was on all or almost all the other versions available during last year).

Music is located on Snapshot Shared Folder Thin Volume on Raid 1
    Roon is installed on single SSD drive

6. Are there any additional details that you can think of that would help reproduce this issue (starting from a fresh QNAP install)?
    Nothing really special beside some basic hardening.

Do you need more use-case feedback or are you finally able to reproduce the bug / working on a fix?

As you see users are very helpful in supporting to fix this bug but we need some more communication. 1 year is actually a horrible long timespan to see this still broken.

2 Likes

Dear Roon,

I have installed the trial with the hope of subscribing for the next year.
The software wasn’t able to detect my music files on my QNAP.
I investigated and discovered this discussion.

Having read this thread to the end, I have changed my mind and decided NOT to purchase your product.

Have a nice weekend.

Dan

Hello again, you appear to be on most threads I have come across. As stated before. I am using a QNAP NAS. I had added my shared folder with Roon and it cured the problem of the disappearing library. Phase one complete and thank you. Now I have a new problem. Roon does not look for new folders added. I restarted the NAS and it read the folders. I added another album and it did not read it automatically. Have encountered some other sollution. This does not appear to be a permissions problem with the NAS because upon reboot Roon checked and saw then new music. I am afraid to hit rescan as I am not sure what Force Rescan will do. I have reloaded my library four times and because it is quite large it takes 14 hours to read. Thanks again for your time.

Real-time watching for changes is the job of the OS and not of Roon. Make sure SMB v3 support is active for the share. You may also have to increase the value for fs.inotify.max_user_watches depending on the size of your library. As it is a long time ago since I did this on my NAS, I can’t provide you with current information on how to do this.

ATTENTION: Blindly adding an incredibly huge number may make your system unstable or unresponsive.

What is a forced Rescan? That is when Roon actively goes and searches the files and folders of your library for changes. Hit that button if you add files to your music library and don’t want to wait until they show-up after a timed rescan. IIRC 4 hours is the default interval.

How many tracks does Roon report? If you’re low on RAM for your size of library, better don’t try to force real-time watching.

Note: In your other thread you wrote that your NAS is a TS-451. AFAIK this comes with max. 4GB RAM. This is considered a minimum requirement for running Roon on a NAS and will only suffice small libraries.

1 Like

Are you aware of a pattern causing this bug? It seems different CPUs, amount of RAM, library size - I guess also different network / file services active etc. ?
So most likely the root cause is not an underpowered computer running the ROON core?