QNAP Roon Server stopping without warning

Hi @noris
Any news?

Alan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

The good news is that we have a ticket open with our dev team, and they are hoping to look at this issue more closely soon. We have an understanding about why you’re crashing and we think we’ll be able to resolve it, but we don’t currently have any idea why this issue is only affecting you.

For now, I think we will need to wait for further feedback from our developers. The work for this issue did not get completed in time for our next release, but it is scheduled to be looked at soon, and unfortunately I do not have a more concrete timelines for the moment.

The most helpful thing here would be if you had any ideas about why your unit seems to be the only QNAP affected. If there’s anything unique about your model, the software you’ve installed on it, how it’s configured, etc, that would definitely help us close this out once the issue reaches the front of our dev queue.

Thanks for your patience and apologies for the troubles here. I will be sure to let you know once I have any updates to share.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @Noris
Thanks for the update. As far as I know there’s nothing unique about my QNAP. I bought a standard TS-251 and installed it using all the defualts. I know Windows inside out but the QNAP’s OS is a closed book to me so I wouldn’t have been able to come up with a custom configuration even if I’d wanted to. As it is, the QNAP is only running Roon and the system default apps that cannot be shut down such as the App Centre and Control Panel.

Alan

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

We have discussed your case with one of our Senior developers and they have noted that this is likely an issue related to one of our Roon dependencies called Mono. The dev was curious if you by any chance manually installed another version of Mono on your QNAP as Roon could be trying to use an older version.

We also wanted to double-check that you’re sure there are any other apps installed on the QNAP that might help us understand why Roon is functioning differently on your device than it is on the thousands of other QNAP devices running Roon Cores. I know we asked this previously, but our dev team asked us to double-check.

If you haven’t made use of another version of Mono, there’s unfortunately not much that we can do on our end to resolve this issue, we simply have to wait for an update from the Mono developers.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris
I wasn’t aware that I HAD installed mono on my QNAP. I certainly haven’t installed another version of it as I don’t even know what it is or what it does. And just to reiterate, there are no other apps on the QNAP except those installed by the QNAP’s own OS. Roon is all this thing is for.

Alan

This morning I was playing music without issue. The album ended and I went to my Roon remote PC to pick something else. As I approached the PC, the screen went blank and the album, tracks, lyrics etc. readings all instantly dropped to zero. On the albums page there was a dialogue box in the middle of the screen that said one of my storage locations had gone offline. I went to my main remote machine and checked that the folder was still there. It showed in Windows and it showed on the QNAP server on which it sits. However, when I went to the settings page of Roon to reconnect it, it wasn’t there. All the other folders on the server’s drive showed normally but the music folder was missing from the list. Refreshing the page didn’t work and reinstalling the Roon remote application didn’t work. Restarting the Core did bring it back but Roon didn’t seem able to just reconnect to it. It is now in the process of rescanning and finding every album in that folder as it did when I first installed Roon and set up my server a year ago. I’ve never seen this behaviour before and I’m interested to know what happened because initially I thought I’d lost everything and that was scary.

Hello @Alan_McMillan,

I have moved your previous post over to this thread so that we can better track the issues with your QNAP. I can confirm that we have received the diagnostics info from your QNAP and I have submitted them for review with QA.

I am not sure if @crieke has any more information he would like to request, @Alan_McMillan if you could submit the live logs as you have previously done that may help here as well.

I will be sure to let you know once I receive any updates to share regarding this case.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Alan,
Are there any suspicious messages in your qnap system log? There is a small icon in the top bar of the QTS (the icon with the „i“)

This i a screenshot I found by google image search:

Hi @crieke
What sort of message should I be looking for? There are 1315 of them going back a year but the most recent warning and error logs are dated March and January respectively. The other information logs look pretty innocuous. Here’s a screenshot of the most recent ones:

The RTRR job is a synchronisation of any changes to my library onto an external backup drive. It doesn’t involve the Windows machine.

Hi @Crieke
I’ve not heard anything from you in a while on this issue and Roon has stopped again without warning.

Regards

Alan McMillan

Hi Alan,
I just sent you a PM.