Qobuz 192 not working despite over 100 Mbps?

Roon (audio streaming) does not need a lot of bandwidth, a stable well configured network is all it takes.

1 Like

I have 3 Unifi UAP-AC-Pro access points in my setup, all connected via 1Gb ethernet to the main switch. Still, I refuse to use any of them for Roon related activities. Everything Roon related is connected via 10Gbit/20Gbit fibre or 1Gb ethernet.

The bottom line is don’t connect your core via wi-fi. Roon does not recommend it and therefore won’t help you with issue…

1 Like

Let me try again. RoonServer uses TCP/IP to receive the track from Qobuz. RoonServer is an application in your server machine. TCP/IP was designed so that applications don’t have to care at all about how the data is transmitted between TCP/IP endpoints. Just open a socket to the right TCP/IP port at the other end, and then do system calls on the socket to get successive chunks of data until end of stream (I’m simplifying a bit here). That means that applications including RoonServer have no idea – and can have no idea – that a particular request might be saturating a data link. In typical WiFi use cases, this does not matter: if connection A saturates the network and connection B starts suffering packet losses as a result, TCP/IP retransmit will make the data for B still flow, but more slowly. Unfortunately, if B has realtime constraints, as a RoonServer to Roon endpoint RAAT connection does, the receiver (Roon endpoint in this case) does not get data at the right time; rather than distorting the music, Roon endpoints stop play in that situation. The solution is to make sure your network is configured so that no single connection can saturate it. That’s why Roon specifies that RoonServer (the core) run on a wired network server. IOW, the problem resides in your insistence to use Roon in a way that it was not designed to work. It is quite understandable that Roon would not use their limited development resources to address an issue caused by a user not following their recommendations, which was also the case for that older thread.

3 Likes

What the heck? Why respond to my support thread where above I say I don’t have access to wired and I said I was using a recommended set up from @noris.

I will be the broken record and say: there is too much noise in this system and why won’t anyone actually address my question about the high download amount happening at once possibly being the cause of my issue? And if so, why can’t Roon find a better way to deliver the data rather than at a large download at once to the core? The 145 Mbps in the screenshot above shows that Roon is consuming all the bandwidth I have plus whatever else is running on the network. Also it was working fine before the last update…thanks for the “help” everyone but at least read what I wrote and please only help if you really want to help. Repeating what’s been said and not responding to what I’m asking about I would define as noise.

Roon asks for the file, it knows nothing about bandwidth. If your network allows a single connection to hog all the available bandwidth, the problem is that your network is not doing proper flow control. You have a pro network setup that permits such configuration. If you don’t use that capability, who’s to blame?

1 Like

Short of something official from @support where there still could be something we havent thought of, or perhaps something has changed that narrows the issue down - I think we Roon veterans and volunteers have suggested and explained enough. If you really can’t, won’t or rather not take on a LAN/Wired connection to troubleshoot this then as noted above perhaps Roon is not right for you or the best fit for your workable infrastructure.

Note that Roon might change its communications protocols etc to best fit with its recommended requirements. And while I am not saying this is the case - sometimes marginal setups might get pushed into the area of non compliance as a result. While its a rare thing maybe the limitations of your setup here could be close or beyond that needed capability now.

Good luck with finding something that works well for you, but perhaps support will be able to shed some additional light with tools they have available.

1 Like

Wow. Did you not read where I said my setup with this same bandwidth had been working fine with 182 no problem? This has been my experience for many months now. I’m sure there could be something that I could improve with the wifi and with software updates and so on maybe something did change that’s causing my particular issue. I see no reason for all the comments about using wired when I stated my situation and was curious if what I’m pointing out about the huge bursty download being a reason why wifi has issues. I’ve read the forums and I know what Roon says and I had issues when I started and @noris actually helped me with some ideas and I got it all working great!

Again, this forum is funny where you’re all thinking you’re being helpful but you’re really adding a lot of noise to the system. One reason I went lifetime with Roon was because of the enthusiasm in these forums, and I’m telling you all now you can do better in being helpful and not assuming things or for that matter speaking for Roon itself. Again, I appreciate the ideas and feedback, but keep it within reason and no need to repeat things that have been said many a many times all over this forum, on Roon’s help and now here on this thread. Cheers and I’ll wait and see if @support has any opinions or suggestions.

Wouldn’t the core be downloading and sending it to your endpoint, so effectively doubling the required throughput of your wifi network. If MIMU isn’t configured or working properly you only have so much bandwidth.

It’s possible that changes in your neighbourhood wifi frequencies has caused yours to have collisions and lower through put.

The endpoint always has a much much lower bandwidth and I’ve never seen really large file downloads. I don’t think Roon bursts from the core to the endpoint.

Throttled to 50 Mbps and no issues with Blakey! Roon should look at that thread and not make having people throttle be a solution to wifi networking issues. I have no idea how it all really works, so take it with a grain of salt that it seems technically spreading out the download stream would not be a huge problem to solve since others via video obviously have.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Qobuz not playing through Roon

After reading this thread I think it may be a solution to my problem. We moved about a year ago and now have a fibre connection. Ever since then I have been unable to get a stable connection on a RAAT gateway. So I switched to UPnP which is a workaround others with this issue may find useful if they are experiencing the same symptoms and don’t want to throttle their connections which work fine with other applications.

You did not solve the problem, you ignored the symptoms and applied a workaround.

I have corrected my post after your helpful suggestion.

Why is it that audiophiles are willing to use a lot of money on audio equipment, but do not use a cent on fixing their network.
Roon is a bit more demanding than other solutions and therefore prone to show problems in a network.
If you want stable streaming with Roon or whatever solution floats your boat, fix your network!

Networking is not difficult, but it has to be done right!

Oh, and by the way, read the documentation and faq’s that Roon provides and follow the recommendations, do not ignore them.
And, there are a lot of posts on the forum that make up a good read as well :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

No need for the hostility, I’m only trying to help.

You have a Ubiquiti Enterprise grade setup - I’m struggling to see why 145Mbps is crippling your Wi-Fi. A UAP-AC-Pro shouldn’t even break a sweat with that bandwidth unless your core is miles from your endpoint…

What sort of Wi-Fi transmission distances do you have, and how are your signal strengths? Have you scanned the environment for other networks which might be interfering on the same channels? Ubiquiti’s Wi-Fi Man App is pretty good here.

I’m currently streaming live radio to 2 Sonos wireless speakers in the kitchen (last ones to be wired later this week).

Below is a broadband speed test run on my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra at the same time. Radio play didn’t even glitch.

Current connection speed to my nearest UAP-AC-Pro is 780 Mbps.

Your Ubiquiti setup should have no problems coping with Roon’s needs. May I suggest that you look into your wireless network setup/configuration?

EDIT:

Unifi stuff isn’t really just plug ‘n’ play. You’ll never get the best out of it unless you spend a little time delving into the settings to optimise its performance.

2 Likes

Some spend a whole lot of coin on their network (EtherRegen, Silent Angel, “audiophile” Cat7/Cat8 cables etc.), but as you say, none of that spend is actually fixing anything.

3 Likes

My network works fine with an ASUS RT-AC86U router, Belkin Cat6 cable and a NETGEAR GS108 switch.

1 Like

Can’t beat an ASUS RT-86U router and the Netgear GS108 is a very solid, unmanaged switch!

My journey down the Ubiquiti rabbit hole started when we lived in Austria. The (rented) apartment was enormous and wi-fi coverage was very difficult. Could get a LAN cable a certain distance, but had no power, so had to go PoE which led me to a UAP-AC-Pro. Now back in the UK in a 1955 house where the internal walls are made from aerated concrete blocks full of lumps of clinker and finished in cement render with a finish plaster top coat. 5GHz Wi-Fi has a very hard time with it…

Strategically placed Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Pros provide Wi-Fi coverage in the house and in my garden office. Network switches have grown as device numbers have increased and I have fibre connecting the office (where the NAS and Roon Core live) to the house.

2 Likes