Qobuz adds 24-bit versions, but not in Roon?

Keep 'em both!

Now I have the reverse issue. I am playing Anouar Brahemā€™s ā€œAstounding Eyes of Ritaā€ on the ECM label. It says itā€™s 24/96, but the Signal Path display shows it as 16/44.1. WTF is going on?

@Dean_Wette Thanks for the report; Iā€™ve verified what you are seeing and weā€™re working with Qobuz to resolve.

1 Like

Itā€™s even weirder. Not only is the 24/96 version of ā€œAstounding Eyes of Ritaā€ playing at 16/44.1, but the version that says itā€™s 16/44.1 actually plays at 24/44.1.

I guess at this point I donā€™t trust anything as labeled in Roon, until I play it and check what the Signal Path says.

@joel I am seeing this issue today. Qobuz shows the Travelinā€™ Thru 1967-1969 sampler for Dylan and Johnny Cash as 96/24 but it is only playing CD quality on Roon. Not sure why. Just tried Neil Young Colorado and it is still playing 24 bit so system is not the issueā€¦

I wouldnā€™t hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed. The problem I reported above about the ā€œAstounding Eyes of Ritaā€ 24/96 album lingers still. Nothing has changed in nearly five months.

This is a Qobuz issue. If you play that Dylan album in their player it will also play in CD quality. Sometimes Qobuz lists the album as hires when only the download is hires and not the streaming. Qobuz is giving roon bad metadata. I see this in reverse for Radiohead OK Computer. Recently switched to hires streaming but roon still shows metadata as 16/44 but signal path 24/96.

Thank you for the solution!!

2 posts were split to a new topic: The Doors` album quality in Qobuz

Qobuz just released Peter Gabrielā€™s So album in 24/96 but Roonā€™s metadata is showing 16/24. The stream is showing it as 24/96. When will these mismatches be fixed. Or at least brought to Qobuzā€™s attention if the fault lies with them.

I created a hires bookmark but these albums fallout because the data is incorrect. This also goes the other direction of hires albums playing in CD quality.

Actually this issue is with all the remastered Peter Gabriel albums just released. At least they actually hires.

Seems fine for me here in Belgiumā€¦

For those interested in the whole sample rate debate, especially as regards to legacy analogue recordings, I would recommend reading Dr Mark Waldrepā€™s comprehensive tome - Music and Audio: A User Guide to Better Sound. It provides clarity on the subject and reveals a significant amount of ā€œmarketing hypeā€ by record companies looking to make more money by releasing so called ā€œHi-Resā€ masters of music we probably already own in CD format, which medium is perfectly adequate given the equipment used for the original recording.

https://www.musicandaudioguide.com/

Here is the link for those interested in furthering their knowledge. I recommend it.

1 Like

Thanks for that link. Iā€™m going to purchase the e-book right away.

EDIT: The card payment went through and a few hours later, I received links to the downloads. So all is fine now.

ORIGINAL POST:

Wellpā€¦gave my credit card info, they charged it, then I got an internal server error and thereā€™s no contact information at all on the site. So that happened.

Not too worried because Iā€™m sure Amex will reverse the charge if I never hear anything further, but buyer beware I guess.